iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawmill ordered and first load of logs, Pics,

Started by 123maxbars, August 26, 2011, 01:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Ordered a Woodmizer LT28 today, with 25hp engine and log package. Should be here by first of Oct. I have been helping a friend on his WM LT 28 side/weekend business for the past year, and the bug has bit me and I am ready to start my own weekend/part time operation. I live in the mountains of Northeast Tn and plan on doing some mobile jobs and cutting orders from logs that I aquire. I will use my Kubota for loading logs and the winch that comes with it. I am a police officer by trade and have found that cutting logs is a  great stress reducer and is very enjoyable. My goal is to have the mill pay for its self (with a monthly payment of $200 I think that is a reasoanble expectation). This will be a part time weekend operation that I will operate from my farm. I have a half acre dedicated to my sawmill which will also be my log yard. I have erected a metal carport that is a A frame model, 20x12 that is ten foot at its highest point. I had the car port on my driveway but moved it when I got a bigger carport. I have it mounted to footers and plan on making it bigger. I also got my first load of free pine logs yesterday. Thanks for everyone's help on here, and hope to be sawying soon!

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

metalspinner

8) 8)

Sounds like you have a good plan in place and have had enough hands on experience to get off to a running start.

That carport looks familiar.  I just bought one to store some of my wood in.  Mine has the red roof, too. :)

Where abouts in east TN are you? Maybe I can contribute to your monthly payments some time. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

123maxbars

I am in Church Hill TN, about an hour from maryville,
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

paul case

well 123maxbars,
it sounds like you have it bad and you have a plan to fix it.
nice looking logs too.  how do you plan to load logs on the mill in that carport?  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

mad murdock

good fortune on your adventure!  You will not regret having taken the journey.  I will stay tuned for pics of your new "toy".
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Congratulations 123maxbars, on making a move on an LT28.   Since you already have working knowledge of the sawmill, I'm sure that you will be successful with it.  Yes, free logs happen.   :)  Meeting Metalspinner will also be a treat.    smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations!   Sawmill, truck, trailer,  shed, space, logs almost everything!  The exciting part is the customer!  Good luck.   8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Buck

Frame yourself a header into the side of that shed(removing a few of the side legs) making an opening to feed logs to the mill via the tractor. Free logs are good! Be careful around free stuff that came from yards. Metal makes a mess of blades. You will soon be able to recognize suspect trees. Some will get by you.  Don't ask how I know. :-\
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Chuck White

Congratulations on all of your good fortune!

Will you be sawing in the "old" carport or just storing your mill there?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

123maxbars

I planned on just storing it there but after Buck's suggestion I may make a header and take a few of the side supports off so I can mill out of the weather. Thanks for the input Buck!
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

GeneH

Congrats on the purchase! Looks like you're ready. Good choice on the mill. And, I'm about an hour away from you too. Good opportunities for free logs around here too. Enjoy the mill!!!

thecfarm

Put down a couple small trees on the ground to put those free logs onto. Make it easier to move when you get your new miil in Oct. Good luck with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!