iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dismal Sawmill up and running

Started by woodbeard, January 15, 2004, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

As promised, here are the pics of the Peterson. I set it up at my friend Stefan's place, right on Dismal creek.

Cut up a couple small logs I had laying around. One white ash, one Persimmon.

I left part of the horizontal sizing thingy at home, so I eyeballed random widths just to get the hang of running the thing. Still needs a bit of tweaking here and there, but cut just fine, even in the Persimmon.

Oh, and by the way,
Whoooooooooooooooo-hoooo!!!!!!!!!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tom

I'm all excited!

You gotta get some more logs. :)

Captain

GREAT WOODBEARD!!

I knew you would get your swing blade one day, now you're up and running!!

Be sure to hit us with any questions :P

Captain

Haytrader

Way to go Woodbeard,

I am envious. Wish I had one.
 :(

So, did gettin a little saw dust flyin give ya a funny feeling inside? I know the first boards I cut did.

CONGRATULATIONS
Haytrader

Ianab

Good on ya Woodbeard 8)
I know my mill is set up in the sunshine and green grass, but I'm a wee bit jealous of a nice shiny new model one like that  ;)
They are great mills and it should do a good job for you  8)

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

UNCLEBUCK

Congratulations Woodbeard !  You"re swingin now ! great pictures !  more more more !  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Percy

Heya Woodbeard.

Congrats on the mill.  Id love to have a swinger to compliment the WM. In time I guess. Let us know how it goes.

Oh, and rumor has it, that you shave with a chainsaw.... ;D ;D..any truth to that?? :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

DanG

He can't hear ya, Percy. He ain't got no ears. ::) :D :D :D

WAYTAGO Woodbeard! 8) 8) 8)  Glad to see ya up and sawin'!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Stephen_Wiley

Yaaaaaaaaayyyy  Red beard,,,,,,,ooppss Wood beard

Guess I got caught up in that shaving with a chainsaw thing :D :D

Looking forward to stories and pics.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Norm

Cool woodbeard, every tree within a hundred miles will be nervous. :)

Making those first boards with a sawmill rate right up there with the first time I uhh...... drove a car. ;D

woodbeard

Shave? :D
No, but I am distantly related to poor ol' Koolidga.
Funny, he don't want to visit me no more. ;D
Yeah, I got that giddy feeling inside.
Itchin' to get out there and do it again.
I was very pleased to discover that I had no problems with the size of the logs I was cutting. They were about 10"dia and 7' long, but only started moving on the last cuts, and very little at that. I set them on 2 oak 6x6 with v shaped notches cut out which the logs seemed to nestle nicely into.

I will probably add some spikes at the sides of the notches that can be hammered into the logs. Seems like that should work pretty well as long as I keep all the metal parts an inch or two below the blades lower limit of travel.

Captain

Hey Woodbeard,

First bit of advice,  Turn those skids over and make some squared edge slots to set your logs into.  Logs tend to turn in "V" grooves, as there is less bite on the bark.  Also, you would be suprised how shallow and narrow squared edge slots can be, keeping less high grade wood in a "cuttable" area above the slab.  I use slots of 2 different sizes, about 5" and 7" to compensate for log taper, you'll get the picture.

The first time you have a big log shift when approaching the bottom, you'll know what I mean!!

Captain

LSUNo1

Sweeeeet!! Good for you Woodbeard.....danGit...envy is a terrible thing. Curious..how are you transporting the mill?

Fla._Deadheader

By George, I think ya got it, George. 8) 8) 8)  Nice lookin mill. I got just the log for ya to try it on. ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!