iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greetings From Peru

Started by Mark M, January 15, 2004, 02:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Hello Everyone

I am working in Peru at the Cat dealer down here. I am having a lot of trouble with communications but the people are very nice and it is a beautiful country.

I posted a few pictures at http://www.pbase.com/mmathys/peru

I'll be glad to get back and have more time reading the forum.

Mark

Corley5

8) pics!!  It must be really disappointing to you to be missing winter in the States.  Have fun and be careful
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

whitepe

Okay MM,  You gotta have some stories don't you?  :)
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Mark M

Well as a matter of fact I do. But first a picture.

We took a day trip to Paracas which is a four hour bus ride south of Lima. The last stop of the day was at a nice beach on the Pacific coast. The whole western coast of Peru, and pretty much South America is a desert. Not like some of the deserts in the US, but completely void of any vegetation.

The bus driver takes us out through the desert on what amounts to little more than a path and then drops us off so we can visit the beach. After about an hour we all head back to the bus and find it as in the picture above. The driver tried to turn around, spun his wheels, and got stuck. It was obvious he didn't have any experience driving in snow and probably had never been stuck in sand either. Most of the men on the bus worked together scraping the sand out from in front of the tires, then we placed some flat rocks in front of the tires for traction. About 15 of us start pushing the bus and it starts to move. As soon as it does the driver takes his foot off the gas, realizes his mistake, and then tries to start moving again. Well we moved about 3 feet and are stuck again. This goes on for 3 more times and each time the driver makes the same mistake. I'm talking to a truck driver from Sweden and we both figure either one of us could drive the bus out without much trouble since we've been stuck in snow and it can't be that much different, but we don't want to embarrass the driver any more than he already is so we keep out mouths shut. We do talk to my friend from Peru and ask him to tell the drive what to do.

This time we clear all the sand for about 20 feet and the ladies all go out and gather rocks (I was really impressed with the way everyone worked to get the bus unstuck and no one got angry). Well on the last try I really want to get back to the hotel so when we start pushing I am pushing as hard as I can (so is everybody else). The bus starts to move, the driver keeps his foot on the gas, and I am pushing and running as fast as I can. Then the funny part - without warning my pants drop down around my ankles, right there in front of God and everyone! I immediately pull them up and turn around to see if anyone noticed. Well needless to say they did and I got a big round of applause from all the old ladies  :o

We all got back in the bus and headed back to Lima. The rest of the day was uneventful.

Mark

whitepe

Mark,

Bibbyman would never be caught with his pants down.  ;D
Great story.

Mark M

I think you are right Perry. I once saw a diagram explaining the likelyhood of someone's pants falling down. I think it was a physicist that explained if you drew a line perpendicular to the surface of your belt buckle and that line points up above a horizontal line parallel to the floor then your pants are unlikely to fall down. If on the other hand the line points down then you stand a good chance of loosing them. Needless to say my line is pointing down. ;D

whitepe

If that line is perpendicular to a line tangent to your belt buckle
would it be called going off on a tangent if your pants fell down?   ;D  
Several years ago, my late uncle was walking into a restaurant with my aunt and to get to their table they
walked by an occupied table where the aisle was narrow.
My uncle sucked in his mid section to get through
and sure enough,  gravity took over.  Everyone got a good
laugh.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!