iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poll: How to draw, create, and assemble a model of your timber frame project

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 24, 2011, 07:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I'm doing a little market research to see if there is any need for a DVD or CD showing you how to draw, create and assemble a model of your timber frame project.

This does not include scale joinery.

Please ask questions.

If you wish, post reasons why you would or wouldn't.

Jim Rogers

Here is an example of a model of a timber frame house:

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

I don't know how much demand there is, but I think it's a neat idea. I have done a scale model of the last TF barn on our farm, and I may be doing one of one of the Dutch barns at work. I tried some scale model joinery, and I think it's faster to do it full scale. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

maineframer

Jim,

The model looks great. There was a fellow near me in Benton Falls that specialized in timber frame models. His name is Andy Hoyt and his web site is www.downscale designs.com
I think that a video would be helpful for a person who wants to build their own timber frame.
David

Piston

I think it would be very helpful to build a model of any frame I design.  I use Sketchup mostly for this, and it works for me, but mostly because I don't really know how to make a detailed 3d model.  So yes, I would buy an instructional dvd to learn how to build a model, as long as it wasn't priced too high. 

Also, I think it would be more helpful to show other's what your ideas are.   A lot of my models are built in my head and I can 'see' what I'm thinking of, but can't explain it for the life of me....especially to my wife  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Great link, Dave Shepard....

Thanks to all for your comments.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Thanks to all that voted.

I have unlocked the poll so that future viewers could vote and post comments, as well.

If anyone who votes "no" would post their reasons why it would be helpful to me to understand.

Thanks again.

Jim Rogers

mikerat

Jim,
I love your idea and would buy this if it were under 100.00. I have gone to several workshops {would love to attend yours} and I think I'm ready to do my own frame garage/workshop. I have all the books and have poured over them each several times but I don't have a 3D  mind, people that can see 3D in their heads like Rooster have a gift that I just don't have so the model would be great for me. Also did I read that you do plans/prints as part of your business?

thanks Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

Rooster

Good job Mike!

I glad that you are ready to make the "leap"!  I think that modeling would definitely help you understand the structure... so that the individual pieces would have "specific placement and purpose" instead or some random 8x8 post with a bunch of girt /brace mortices and tenons on each end. ???

Happy framing!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: mikerat on September 24, 2011, 08:51:49 PM
Jim,
I love your idea and would buy this if it were under 100.00. I have gone to several workshops {would love to attend yours} and I think I'm ready to do my own frame garage/workshop. I have all the books and have poured over them each several times but I don't have a 3D  mind, people that can see 3D in their heads like Rooster have a gift that I just don't have so the model would be great for me. Also did I read that you do plans/prints as part of your business?

thanks Mike

Mike:
I'm sorry I missed your question at the end of the post above, last month when I read it.

Yes, I do make up timber framing plans for people. If there is anything I can do to help you, just let me know.

Thanks.
Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!