iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hornets!

Started by Qweaver, August 24, 2011, 12:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I found a Hornet nest in the tall grass as I was mowing yesterday.  I was lucky to see it before I ran over it.  I got stung by Yellow Jackets about 25 times last weekend and I sure don't want to repeat that with Hornets.
How do I get rid of these dudes?  I'm thinking of dousing the nest with gas at night and burning them.
Suggestions?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Texas Ranger

Gasoline or wasp spray down the hole will do it, no need to burn.  But seeing the co-Texas on you bio, thats the way we do fire ants, too.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Autocar

Get yourself a pin pon paddle and a set of goggles and wade in and start swatting till you get the leader  :D Left use know how that idea turns out, ok  :D
Bill

pep

Q

A can of brake cleaner works very well and allows you to stand back.

Cheers

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

ouachita

Drove up on one of my logging jobs several years ago and a sawhand was coming across the field like he was drunk.....wasn't.....he was swatting hornets. 

He was coming back to to set to reload gas & oil and he was following behind a log hog dragging a 16 ft log....which had dug a shallow trench in the sugar sand right over a hornet nest.  He was walking in the trench as it was just a little easier. 

By the time the log passed over the nest, the hornets were beyond *pithed off.  He probably was stung by every hornet in the nest.  By the time he got to the set I was worried he might go into shock.  Went back home, grabbed my aloe vera plant and covered him in aloe vera gel.  He went home and didn't get out of bed for two days.

Charles Westmoreland CF, RF
Fordyce, Arkansas

SAWMILL BUDDY

Place a window screen over the hole then pour the gas to um. ;D

Chuck White

Take care of them with gasoline or brake-parts cleaner after dark.

As said before, you won't need to light it.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jasperfield

Using a screen seems like a good idea. We've always used Ether based starting fluid. It'll kill 'em mid-air, and you can light it off, too.

thecfarm

I heard diesel fuel works too. If I can see the hole I use a can of wasp killer. I don't mean the whole can.They sure do buzz for a few seconds. I myself don't like to use gas for fires. Diesel or kerosene is my weapon of choice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

My buddy got into a Yellow Jacket nest.  He was running and swatting.  I was just yelling "don't come toward me".   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slabs

Start up a small push-type mower and roll it over the nest so the bugs fly up into the blades.

I always wanted to try that but just ain't got the guts.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Magicman

Doing it would be easy.  Staying and watching would be a challenge.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Knowing hornets and yellow jackets (and I know them well!), some would get through the spinning blades and come and greet you  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

In this instance, "greet" is not a good word.   :-\

trapper

wife says I am nuts but when close to the house I spray the nest wirh a water hose to get them to come out.  Then  I knock them out of the air with the spray and step on them when they get soaked and fall to the ground.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Qweaver

This nest is not in the ground.  It is the paper type and is about a foot off the ground.  I'd like to kill the bees and save the hive.  It would look good hanging on the wall of my cabin.  I mowed within about 2 feet of the hive before I spotted  it.  I guess I'm lucky not to get stung.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

LeeB

If it's a really big nest, hanging it up wil also help keep other nests away. Wasps war on each other for territory and big nests scare new nests from being built.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SPIKER

been working on my barn last month, got concrete in finally & was going back adding hurricane straps to the rafters.   worked my way out to the lean too ands climbed the ladder friday to start there & reached up tapped the first nail in and bam one of the yellow & black paper wasps hit my hand just a warning bump but whew...   nest was under every soffet section of roof.   almost felt bad spraying the yellow wasps the are pretty good bug eaters & not nearly as aggressive stingers as brown wasps or dang yellow jackets!  never been actually stung by one of them or by a hornet or bumble bee either...   lots of honey bees and yellow jackets & brown paper wasps though...

worst are yellow jackets will sting & bite at the same time seem to always go or face and joints they love elbows lips cheeks and backs of knees for some reason...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Magicman

Our orange "barn wasp" have all hatched out and are now hanging around the nest.  I found two different nest of them in the barn today.  I went and got two cans of spray.  I didn't need but one, but I surely did not want to run out.  I didn't.

Slabs

Quote from: Qweaver on August 27, 2011, 12:15:21 PM
This nest is not in the ground.  It is the paper type and is about a foot off the ground.  I'd like to kill the bees and save the hive.  It would look good hanging on the wall of my cabin.  I mowed within about 2 feet of the hive before I spotted  it.  I guess I'm lucky not to get stung.

Yeah, those paper nests are unique.  My dad had collected a couple of them before the hornets disappeared back in Alabama.  Someone suggested that the trachea mites that plague honeybees might have been the culprit.

I heard of one proceedure that I also ain't got the guts to try but if it worked might just be the ticket.  Spray the nest with waster to emulate rain to run the nest sentries back inside and pull up a plastic bag with several Alka Seltzers in it up over the nest and tie it off to the mount limb.  Supposedly the water that falls in the bag will activate the Alka Seltzers, generating carbon dioxide and asphixate the bugs.  The nest would be left unharmed.  As with Yellow Jackets, night time might be a better time to try it since all the bugs would be inside then.

Go for it if you're feeling lucky.

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Al_Smith

Wasp spray will get the whole mess .Those that might be able to fly will only do so for about 5 seconds if that .They can't fly with wet wings but a dousing of water will ruin the nest .

I've got several nests in the rafters of my shed as they get abandoned  about the midle of Sept ,first Oct around here .I have no idea where to hornets go then nor do I care to find out .

Thank You Sponsors!