iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing 2 x 10s with a Lucas Sawmill and Dedicated slabber.

Started by logboy, August 22, 2011, 02:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logboy

I love my Lucas Swingblade for nearly everything I do. I just really wish I could saw 2 x 10s and 12s like you bandsaw guys do. So the other day I dragged the slabber out of storage to tackle a clear log I recently acquired.  Its not a perfect way of doing it as the 3/8" chain on the slabber has a big kerf.  Still, its a lot easier than lifting up the saw head and flipping it on each cut. I simply cut as deep in on the 2 x 10 on the mill as I can, saw the necessary vertical cuts, then cut the whole works off with the slabber. I did have to cut off half the guard on my Lucas mill in order to make vertical cuts further over than I can cut horizontally. It enables me to cut a 2 x 10 and like a 2 x 6 or so before I hit the rest of the guard.  I'm open to advice on what I did as I have less than 10 hours on my slabber.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

mad murdock

How long does it take for you to switch gears from slabber to swing saw?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logboy

A few seconds? I simply walk to the slabber, pull the recoil and start sawing from the other direction.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

mad murdock

I've never seen the slabber on a lucas in person, so it is like having another sawhead mounted on the same rail setup.  If the slab cut is fairly quick, I'd say you got a good thing going, the only way you could eliminate the wider kerf, would be to rig up a band headrig to run on the rails just like your slabber setup.  Anyone ever seen such an animal on a swinger?It would be versatile.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sgschwend

How about removing the riving knife and doing a double cut, that is how i do it on my Brand X.

I would prefer to cut my boards vertically but that would only get me an 8 inch board.

I just had a Lucas demo and the slabber conversion time was about one hour.  It takes me about that much time too, but I can imagine I could reduce that time to about 30 minutes, with the proper staging.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

customsawyer

I don't have any advice for you but I can say if it works for you keep on doing it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!