iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stood Up

Started by Magicman, August 22, 2011, 01:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

In 10 years of sawing, I guess this was a first.  The customer drove out to the work site this morning and told me that the help was a "no show", so I buttoned everything up.  I had been there about an hour and was wondering where he was.  I will go back tomorrow morning.

Fifteen miles out makes it a 30 mile trip.  This is my all time best customer, but I still think that I am justified to charge him for that hour.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GeneH

Couldn't he be the help, don't know the circumstances (did he have on his good clothes, another obligation?) Anyway, enjoy your day off Magicman!

Magicman

Oh no, that is out of the question.  He is a logger and runs the entire operation.  He has a load of responsibility on his shoulders.  Part of my job is to not be another problem.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GeneH

I understand completely now. Having worked a big chunk of my life in the log woods I know about the no shows.....and it's Monday too Magicman, not a good time to look for everybody to show up. Sad, but true.

redbeard

Iam sure he excpects to pay your rate. You are fulfilling your end of the contract. It not your fault his hire didn't show.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Hilltop366

It would not be unreasonable to charge him, however a discount on the hour rate would look nice to your good customer and not cost you anything if you did not do any sawing (no gas, blades or wear on your sawmill). Not sure if you charge for the travelling?

Magicman

I will only charge him 20 bucks for the trip out this morning.  Remember, this is my best repeat customer that always has good,  clean, and well staged logs.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,51744.0.html

red oaks lumber

if he's your best customer, not charging him this time will go alot farther than the measly 20 bucks your chargin.
just my opionion. are you the only sawyer in a 50 mile radius? is yes than you can get what you want ,if no he might become the best customer you had.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Groo

I's say $20 is more than reasonable. It screwed up making other plans for that day, not to mention time and fuel costs. I'd say $50 would be reasonable. If he is going to throw a fit about it, he'd throw a fit about something eventually, but this guy sounds like a professional. You know he'd want to get paid if he hauled all his equipment out and and was told "My wife wants it quiet in the woods for the picnic she planned for today. How about we give it a try tomorrow"

clww

$20 is more than reasonable, but he's been your #1 customer, so it all balances out. Monday mornings are a bad bet for all the help to show up.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

customsawyer

You know your customer better than us but I would let let it slide if it was me. $20.00 will not make you or break you but it could pith off a customer as it was not his fault anymore than it was yours.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Yes, it will slide.   :)   What I got done here at home today was worth more than any loss that I had.

Tomorrow is another day and after we finish those 14' ERC logs, we will saw those two Pecan logs.  Then the 12' ERC, then the SYP, and then the Red Oak.

The butt Pecan log is 32".  The Logrite is new.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hey Magic, what size boards will you be sawing the Pecan? Just wondering, I've never had the pleasure to saw any.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Buck

You gonna flat saw that pecan?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

Yup, all 1X8's flat sawn.

WDH

Uh oh, the wide board police are going to be on your tail  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

:D  Yup.  I'm sure that these will go immediately to the kiln in Sumrall.  I'm guessing that it will be used for wall paneling in the customer's fish camp that he is rebuilding after the Mississippi River flood.

I love my job.   :)

millwright

How is the new logrite cant hook working? It looks like its getting a workout.

Magicman

GREAT !!!   I tried and I can't bend the cant hook handle.   :D

I may have to break down and get a couple of 48's since that is my "go to" size around the sawmill.

millwright

I just recently got a 48" one and it works great.

Banjo picker

I got two of the mill specials with the base ball bat handles....I think they are 30" ...They have turned every log I have needed to roll on the lift arms...I can see where MM would need a bigger one working mobil on uneven ground...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I had to get all of the way out to the end of the 60" to roll that Pecan log.  He has a FEL there on the job site, but I just wanted to try that Logrite out.

John Mc

If he's such a good customer, you might want to let the charge for your time slide -- especially if this is the first time it happened. I'd let him know, however: "Normally, I'd charge for time time and mileage to make the run out here for nothing. Since you have been such a good customer over the years (throw in a few compliments/examples of why you like dealing with him), and this is the first time, I won't charge you for it."

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Collima

If it was my best customer that is usually on top of things I wouldn't charge. If it was a new customer I would charge $120.  My 2 hr minimum rate.
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

Magicman

I did not charge him and we finished that job this morning.  A bit over 16Mbf.

Thank You Sponsors!