iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Log Handling Package???

Started by DR Buck, January 14, 2004, 08:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I'm looking at buying a new LT40 with the manual  winch log loader / turner.   Anyone have good or bad points I should know?   I can't afford the hydraulic loader at this time.

DR Buck
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

BBTom

Welcome to the best forum on the net, DrBuck.   8)

I hope you are young and healthy and strong.  That is what it takes to be able to turn cants on a mill without the hydraulics.  I spoiled myself right off the bat and got all the bells and whistles.  ;D  I have learned alot since then but would not want to run a mill without any of those goodies.  I think they are all worth the money.  If you absolutley positively cannot afford the hydraulics, then put them on your wish list, you will be wanting them real soon.

I cannot imagine running a mill without-- But then I am spoiled .:)
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Minnesota_boy

If you're only cutting for yourself, you may get by OK with the manual mill, provided your are built like an OX!  Some of the logs I saw I can't even move with a cant hook, have to use an electric winch just to get them to the hydraulic loader.  If you plan on doing custome sawing as a paying job, borrow the money for the hydraulics as the payback time would be pretty short, in my opinion, plus it adds safety and saves on your back.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bro. Noble

Welcome,

Having owned an LT 40 without Hyds and presently owning one with,  If I were you I would consider a used LT 40 with hyd.  
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ronwood

DR Buck,

Welcome to the forum. When I was looking for a mill I also was considering the LT40 Manual. After giving it a lot of thought I decided that I would buy one with hydraulics because at the time I did not have any support equipment (tractor with front end loader or forklift). Not sorry that I went that way even though I now have a forklift to move the logs around.

The other factor that was mention by Minnesota_Boy is safety. It sure is nice to load and turn a +30 in log with having to be real close to it. Logs get pretty heavy and impossible to control if they get away from you.

Good luck!  Let us know what you decide.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Kirk_Allen

Dr Buck,
Make sure you check out the For Sale page on this site. I recall a brand new LT40 manual that had never been used was listed on there not to long ago.  

I have the LT40HDG25 and I cant imagine not having the hydraulics.  I know its a big pop to get them but you will never regret it.  

I purchased mine with the intent on cutting my own wood from our family farm to build a home.  Turns out that in less than two years it has turned into a business that I could easily do full time.  

Save the back....go for the hydraulics...........ONLY IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.  I know we can all justify it but I have learned from the past.  My purchases are based on affordability or profitability not my own justification because we all know we can justify anything if we think about it long enough.

Good Luck Buck
Kirk

EZ

On my last manual mill I use a 12 volt winch, worked great but I'm sure it's slower going than hdy. Burnt the cheapy winch up and used a hand crank winch and thats not the way to go. Thought about putting hdy. loader on my new frame but I'm afraid of break downs with hoses and such. If you go with a LT 40, get a good strong 12 volt winch. As far as the log and cant turner, I built a manual turner that will pick up the front of my truck and it is fast. Pictures soon.
EZ

RMay

Welcome Dr. Buck  I started out with a LT40 manual sawed with it 18 months before trading to a LT40HG25 .The manual will work like the hyd. but it is slower & a lot more work doing it ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Thank You Sponsors!