iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NYS Woodsmans Field Days

Started by JohnG28, August 20, 2011, 05:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Any members make it there this weekend?  I remember seeing a few saying they were going.  I was there this afternoon, good time and a lot of great exhibits.  Wish I hadn't had to leave for work.  Hope anyone in the area that gets a chance stops up.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Chuck White

I was planning on going, but got overrun with priorities.  :-\

Oh well, it's about the same travel time for me to go to Hannibal.

There are a few things I need to have on hand, and I usually buy a box of blades and get the "show discount"!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mark K

I went yesterday early. Bought some supplies and a new pair of boots. Some good deals could be had there. Hung out with the guys from the mill I contract for, they said attendance was low on Friday. Hopefully it got better over the weekend.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

tonto

Went on Friday and met the great folks at Logrite. Very nice folks. Talked about the pig roast and they said they had a great time. Picked up some of the new Blue Creeper penetrating oil, man that stuff works great. Just missed the brownies but I was probably better off because of my diabetes. Show attendance seemed to be off a little over the previous year, hope it picked up. Found a few good deals on supplies. Met Larry and Wayne Pelletier from American Loggers at the Cat display. Very nice, down to earth guys. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

maple flats

Tonto, you must have been too late. I was there Friday morning and they offered me a brownie. I passed, saved it for you, but must be someone else didn't. I looked around, bought some chain loops, ate an Elk Steak sandwich with the works.
I left shortly after lunch to get back to work. I only had 3 trees to drop, two about 14" dbh and a little one, but the first took far too long. I cut the hinge slightly off desired and the tree missed it's intended opening and hung up in another tree about 35' up. I said, no problem, and hooked my excavator on to pull it out. It was hooked so well the standing tree would not let go and I had to cut off several chunks to shorten the semi felled tree, but I could not pull more because I was afraid the holding tree would fall on my sugarhouse. After shortening the first tree I moved the excavator to the opposite end of the sugarhouse and hooked the chain back on. I then pulled it enough to free it when the top broke on the felled tree and fell to the ground. That took so much time it was time to leave and I still only had felled 1-14" tree in 3 hrs. Must be a record.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

JohnG28

I had a similar issue last fall up to our place in the Adirondacks.  Missed my drop spot on a big cherry and hung it in a birch.  Had nothing to pull it with so had to hack it some, still nothing.  Ended up cutting two more to push it before it fell out of the birch.  I didn't keep track of time though so couldn't tell you how long it took, but it was quite a while.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

thecol

we made it on friday great show 200mi from home and go every year

Thank You Sponsors!