iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

China Berry Leave Spotting

Started by Radar67, August 20, 2011, 03:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Can anyone tell me what causes this spotting on the leaves of a China Berry tree and what can be done about it? The tree is located in South MS, full sun, and is about 3 years old.

The tree is getting about a gallon of water each day. My Mom watches over this tree because it is one of the last things my step dad planted before he passed away. Any help would be appreciated.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Texas Ranger

Is the leaf swollen at the injury site?  Looks like insect damage, but cannot tell by that photo.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

I also suspect insect damage.  You could spray with an insecticide and see if it helps. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

There is no swelling of the spots. It almost looks like a water drop was on the leaf and the sun scorched it a little. However, it is watered at the base with a bucket and there has been no water on the leaves except the morning dew. I have noticed a couple of wasp in the branches. It almost looks like they are collecting moisture from where the leaf branches connect to the more woody branches.

Would a solution of soap and water be okay as an insecticide?

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Texas Ranger

Yes, for some, but I think not this.  It looks like insect stings of some nature.  How long have you been seeing them?

Radar67

They have been noticable for about a week or two.

Texas Ranger

The commonest leaf disease is the ubiquitous powdery mildew, Phyllactinia guttata with it's bottle-shaped perithecial appendages.  It is most abundant in late summer. 

No appendages, so this is probably not it.

The we have two species of Cercospora occurs generally through the Gulf States.  It produces circular to angular leaf spots.

There are a couple of others, but, seems to be no cure or preventative measures.  So, guess not a big problem.

WDH

Around here, chinaberry is prevalent and invasive.  Is this one that is important to you?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Danny, it is to my mother. It is the last tree my step dad planted for her before he passed away.

WDH

SwampDonkey

Might be some kind of anthracnose, not too serious probably.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I have never known anything to kill a chinaberry except a chainsaw or herbicides.

Texas Ranger

Chainsaw AND herbicide, had one sprout back from the roots before I could get the juice to it.   OK, root crown.

Radar67

I think it will most likely be alright. Mother is worrying over it like there is no tomorrow, she has a habit of that. Thanks for all the help. I told here to give it a little fertilizer (nitrogen) and let it do its thing. She seemed happy with that.

WDH

Thanks for posting this.  It made me think of the tree that we planted in honor of my Dad. 

Radar67

This is probably a good addition to the Simple Pleasures post. Something so simple as planting a tree will hold my Mom's memory of John each time she looks out the window. She will always see him standing there with the shovel getting the hole ready for that tree, just as I will always remember the smile on his face every time I drive down the road to my property. He bulldozed it for me after not being on a dozier for 20 years.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Radar67 on August 20, 2011, 09:37:10 PM
It almost looks like a water drop was on the leaf and the sun scorched it a little. However, it is watered at the base with a bucket and there has been no water on the leaves except the morning dew.

That is an old wives' tale - a water droplet cannot scorch a leaf. However, getting water on the foliage when it can't quickly evaporate (like in the early morning) can increase the probability of fungal leaf diseases, which is what you're seeing here. I can't tell you specifically what the pathogen is, but it looks very similar to septoria leaf spot in tomatoes. You can likely treat the tree with a broad-spectrum fungicide like chlorothalonil or mancozeb to stop the spread, but I doubt it is necessary.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

tractorfarmer

Sorry I can't help with the spots, but watch the watering! The roots need air also and don't need to be wet all the time. The tree may be healthier if you water less often. I don't know where it is planted, etc, etc, but you can kill trees from giving them too much "love" also.

Same with applying fertilizers and pesticides. You are better to use less than more, especially with a younger tree.

Thank You Sponsors!