iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: low profile frameless saw head bandsaw build on trailer

Started by buildthisfixthat, August 19, 2011, 10:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buildthisfixthat

should be sawing in a few more days now that i figured out most of the brain twisting geomerty and mechanics of the beast
shop built bandsaw mill

buildthisfixthat

ummmmmm photos where are you ??they should be here shortly 

shop built bandsaw mill

fishpharmer

Looking good.  Could you explain the pictures for us?

I looked in the photo album (good job posting pics too 8)) and noticed the circular mill.  Looks pretty neat.  How do you power the blade for it?

Back to the band mill.  Is the metal wheel the drive side?    I don't see much adjustment on the metal wheel side.  The other side appears adjustable on multiple planes, which is outstanding. 

Is it a cantilever design or a two of four post design?

Hope you don't mind the questions.  I like the mill, keep up the good work. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bandmiller2

Men from Maine,Many of the great sawmill inovations were developed in Maine.Must be the long cold winters in the shop.My best friend was from down east, cleverest man I ever met could build anything.Buildfix keep us posted on  this project. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

buildthisfixthat

had to make a pair of #40 sprockets mounted the gear box to raise and lower the saw jus need to get a half link on the chain posted more detailed pics also yes frank the first us patten for a band saw back in the 1800s was issued here just a few towns  away....fshfharmer that 30" circle mill was powered by the 18 hp wiscnson twin engine and the carrage driven by a 1/2 cable and a snowblower gear box i cut about 50 logs with it it would only cut 9"not enough power and to many problems with the blade now using the frame and engine to make the bandsaw its actualy a frameless three post  design low profile and low center of gravaty i like the idea of having the engine down low ease to get to due to the engine weight is 225 lbs the saw head weight total is about 450 lbs i first designed it as a cantilever however the inside rail was to close to the wheels after putting the idle wheel assembly on just to heavy i would have had to add a outside rail track to keep it from pulling over once the blade grabs the log so i reworked it to a three post 

shop built bandsaw mill

buildthisfixthat

shop built bandsaw mill

buildthisfixthat

shop built bandsaw mill

mad murdock

that is really cool how you laid out the sprokets! 8) 8)What a guy can't do, given the need!  Thanks for updating us on your progress, the mill is looking right spiffy! That old Wsconisin should have plenty of chug-a-lug for your saw.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

buildthisfixthat

thanks the wiscon sin 18.5 twin has about the same torque as a 22-hp kohler magnum ....some progress on the saw and some problems what i though was a reverseable 6v lift motor in not so have to figure that out ...got 20 ft size 40 chain for the sawhead travel..and a dayton gear reduction w/motor though may get another 20 ft of chain to station the gear box up front instead of wires traveling with the saw 

shop built bandsaw mill

fishpharmer

Quote from: mad murdock on August 21, 2011, 12:40:04 AM
that is really cool how you laid out the sprokets! 8) 8)What a guy can't do, given the need!  Thanks for updating us on your progress, the mill is looking right spiffy! That old Wsconisin should have plenty of chug-a-lug for your saw.

MM said it all.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

buildthisfixthat

thanks .........i just didnt want to spend the day trying to find a 7/8 and 3/4 bore sprocket s ....lift motor wired for reverse and mounted on saw today she  goes up -dn quite smooth quick and precise the 80:1 gearbox driven by 8:1 gear motor worked out nice next step is to get it down 20 ft and back at a variable speed .

shop built bandsaw mill

buildthisfixthat

rubber engine mounts installed   and a pic of my blade tenisioner

shop built bandsaw mill

thecfarm

You do some nice work. Must have some nice tools to do all that. By the way what area are you calling the foot hills of Maine?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

buildthisfixthat

thanks got the basic equipment ,the hills before ski county ..i see you have a th oma s mill are they good ?do you saw often ?
shop built bandsaw mill

buildthisfixthat

shop built bandsaw mill

thecfarm

Bethel area? Thomas built a very nice mill. they have a few different styles to choose from now. I bought the one with adjustable bunks. I can saw a 2 foot stick if needed. Not sawing much now. My health is not the best now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_S.

If you are near Bethel, stop by Bob's bbq trailer and get me some brisket. I have been jonesing for some!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

buildthisfixthat

not near bethel sounds good though ...lost power here at 800 pm due to the storm .running on aux power  now.....got the sawhead powering down the 20 ft track today ,,next is the blade guides hummm lets see what i can find to make them??im thinking some 1"stainless bar stock on a slide dunnno
shop built bandsaw mill

thecfarm

Doesn't leave much ski country left. Must be Rangeley,Stratton area.

Thank You Sponsors!