iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ya never know....

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 18, 2011, 04:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sawed 300 + bf of White Oak this morning for a customer. This Oak was my wood. I had got a phone call from this guy who wanted to know if I had any that I could saw. Sooooooo, I sawed it and he called and said he was on his way to look at it and then would tell me if he wanted to buy it. That was fine with me since he is a wood worker and is very picky about his lumber....and I don't blame him.
Now during my sawing, I used diesel fuel on my blade. I am not finished with my wick / drip system yet....so I used a spray bottle to squirt the blade every so often.
About 10 minutes after each board was stacked and stickered, the boards turned a ROSE color from the diesel fuel. I looked at the lumber and said to myself, "Self....#%!&!"
When the customer showed up 2 hours later, the wood was still a rose color. Thinking I had lost a sale the customer went NUTS!!!!
He absolutely loved it and wants more of the rose colored white oak. I told him how it came about, he didn't care!

My question is, Will the oak stay this color? Will it plane out? The color is consistent with no streaks or drip marks. It's beautiful. But will it stay that way? He wants 300 more bf of the same color.....rose. Geeeeeee!

I am thinking about experimenting by putting food coloring mixed with water in my squirt bottle.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Norm

I sawn quite a bit of white oak that has a pinkish tint to it fresh off the deck. The color goes away after being dried.

Ron Wenrich

You're assumption is that the rose color came from the diesel.  I'm not sure that's accurate.  I know there are different colors in white oak that goes from a nearly red oak color to a dark brown.  The red color I've heard is caused by a bacteria.  If your's is one that's affected by the bacteria, the diesel wouldn't matter.

If it was the diesel, I would think it would be splotchy, since there would be different absorption rates and different application rates.  You should also see a difference in the sapwood.  

I did some fooling around with wood dyes and red oak.  I actually tried to put it through the end grain and under pressure.  Didn't work very well.  I was looking to streak the grain with a ring porous wood.  White oak wouldn't do the same due to tylosis.  You may want to try some wood dye and put it in your lube and see if it makes any difference.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good answers. I may do that with wood dye, Ron. I like trying new things...."with my wood" not someone else's.  :)

By the way....the wood was rose color as I said, but I could not smell the diesel when I put my nose to it.

DR Buck

I've saw'n white oak that was almost red when first cut.  Within a few hours it was almost white.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

red oaks lumber

if its from the diesel fuel it will plane off :(  i have a sawyer in my area that lubes with diesel.the red oak stinks aweful when its in the kiln.
my question is and has been why lube with diesel? soap works great and dosent stink and its alot cheaper :P
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Banjo picker

Soap stops up the filters on my drip system.  And with the infintisimal amount I use , I bet you would never know it....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Brad_S.

There are tons of threads on diesel vs. water.  No need to start that never ending conversation here.
I am sure it is not the diesel in this example that caused the blush. I take it you were using off road dyed stuff to feel it was the cause? I have had black specs show up on fresh cut oak on those very rare occasions when I used water instead of diesel as a lube. They plane off.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I was using off road diesel.

zopi

ya wern't milling onna highway were ya?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: zopi on August 18, 2011, 07:12:22 PM
ya wern't milling onna highway were ya?

Ya never know.....

WDH

If you get any more like that, take a pic for us.  I would like to see it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

picture of what ?millin on the hwy. :D :D :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 18, 2011, 08:58:53 PM

I would love to take a picture and post it, however I have a MAC computer and the Forum says my pics are too big to post on here. I've tried to post pics but I give up.  whiteflag_smiley

Ianab

Can't help with specific about Macs as I have never used one, but there WILL be a fairly simple way to resize pics on your machine  Windows, or even Linux I can do it in 30 secs, but maybe another Mac user can help you out.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom L

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 19, 2011, 03:48:18 AM
Quote from: WDH on August 18, 2011, 08:58:53 PM

I would love to take a picture and post it, however I have a MAC computer and the Forum says my pics are too big to post on here. I've tried to post pics but I give up.  whiteflag_smiley

you can post to this forum from your mac, that is what I have, I put all of my photos into Iphoto. then select what picture I want to post. in the drop down menu at the top under file, click on export. then a box comes up letting you export that picture in different sizes and type, select jpeg, small size and small picture, then it will ask you where to export too
I export to my desktop screen, or you can place them anywhere in any folder
then hit export key
the photos resize when exporting , the exported size can be posted in the forum
pretty easy after a few tries

Chris Burchfield

I reset the pix on my camera to a lower setting.  Using the upload or jupload, I can put the camera card into my Mac, drag one or more pics to an upload and have had no problem.  I had more problems with the older program FF use to use.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

logboy

I just used my Lucas slabber to slice up a 21" x 5' White Oak log into 3" slabs yesterday.  The wood inside had the rose color you referred to. 24 hours later after a bit of drying it was gone. I use no diesel. 
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

bandmiller2

Big bucks for pinko white oak but you got to sell it quick.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Hilltop366

Thank You Sponsors!