iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vertical 'drying'...

Started by mrcaptainbob, August 17, 2011, 11:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

A friend suggested he might try cutting around the tree at sap wood depth to let the sap run out faster. His thinking is that gravity may help it bleed faster than if it were all split and allowed to air dry that way.... I disagreed with it but will still post his idea. Any opinions?

WDH

Water flow in living wood defies gravity.  Trees can pull water 300 feet vertically against the force of gravity.  The size of the pores in the wood is such that the water will not freely drain from wood as the pores hold on to the water tightly.  His plan goes against how water behaves in living wood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mrcaptainbob

shelbycharger400

i remember when i was a kid, step dad notched a tree, and it pee'd on his leg...lol....it was kinda funny when it did it.     more so dribbled...but you know the jist.
it was a basswood or boxelder, cant remember, it was on the farm, i was from 4 til bout 6.

jim king

I have not tried a standing tree but with balsa wood once a tree is in logs they are stood on end for a few days and they will lose 70% of the weight in the water loss.

There are many vines that when cut off with a machete provide a nice water to drink  Also there are vines that when cut off provide enough water to shower under.

Thank You Sponsors!