iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM grinder cam change

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 17, 2011, 05:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

A while ago, I got some 4° blades in for the "live oak" sawing job that I have been doing. And when I ordered that, I also got a new "cam" for my grinder. So that I could grind them once or twice between sending them back to "resharp" to be done correctly and set.

It has been a while, since I used the grinder, and I had some time yesterday to finish up grinding some of my regular 10/30 blades before changing out the cam.

So, while it was litely raining here yesterday, I finished up my 10/30 blades and decided to change the cam.
I think I did this once before when they send out some different profile cam for some upgrade or something, but that was many years ago.

I figured the instruction sheet may help me. Well it was ok, but I needed a little more help. So I called up the Tech service dept. and talked to one of the regular guys. He straightened me right out very quickly, with some great advice and instructions.

To get the cam loose you need to remove the motor from the gear box. Then go into the gear box with a 15/16" socket and hold the arbor while you turn the nut on the backside of the cam with the handy dandy spanner wrench they send with the cam.

That was the trick for sure. Came right apart. Got the shaft off the back of the old cam and onto the new cam no problems. Put it all back together and started grinding 4° blades.

Only got one done and I noticed the grinder didn't sound right. Well the clamp was not clamping right and the blade was sliding back after being pushed up and grinding way too much off a tooth.

I had that happen once before or so. I know what had to be done. I had to take the clamp off and clean it all out. Wow, what a job for "Rust Reaper"..... did the trick no problem.

Got it all cleaned up sliding back and forth correctly and all back together again, with no extra parts left over... :D ;D

Did all but one blade.

On the last blade I was about to set the grinder to the proper spot and then let it go automatic, and the pump that pushes the water/solution onto the blade through the clamp wouldn't come on.
I had a problem earlier in the day with it not starting correctly but a good thump and it started right up.
Well, I thumbed it a few times and it didn't start at all.

This is my second pump. I knew from before that you don't go to a pet store and get a pump for a fish tank. But you go and get a pump for a "yard fountain".... So, I went online to Home depot site, where I got the last pump and they say their out of stock. Great, now what....?

I had the box here so I knew the model number and size, and everything. And I printed out the page from the site that had the sku # on it.

On the way home last night, I went to my local home depot store, just to see if their computer stock report was right or wrong. Sometimes they show them sold out and they have them on hand anyhow.

One clerk told me that the fountain pumps were over there. Got over there and no fountain stuff at all.
Found another clerk to help me. Who, using his "smart phone" found out that the store 7 miles up route 1 had one on hand. He called them and asked if they "really" had it. Another store 15 miles south of my mill was suppose to have 5 on hand.
The clerk up the road said they really did have one. I told him to tell them to hold it, I'd be right over.
Well it was 5 minutes before they were going to close. And it was going to take me a lot more then 5 minutes to get there, due to all the traffic lights on route one between the two stores. And of course due to the speed limits.

So, he asked them if they could "hold it" for me. They were suppose to put my name on it and have it at the service desk for me when they opened this morning at 6 am.
I got there shortly after 6 am this morning and sure enough they had it right there with my name on it.

For your information I'm using a "Beckett" fountain pump Model M130. And you can order these from the factory site and have them shipped to you. Which was what I was going to do if the store south of me who was suppose to have five on hand was sold out.

I just put the new pump in and it works great.

The socket I used for the back of the gear box was a 15/16". It seemed a little loose and a 7/8 wouldn't fit. I'm not sure if it's metric or not, but the 15/16ths did it anyway.

I'm writing this all up so that if someone else needs the information and does a search here on this forum they will be able to find out what pump to get and what size socket to use.

I'm grinding the last blade right now and should be all set for a while.....

Jim Rogers

Sorry no pictures...and wow what a long story......sorry about that as well....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Coon

Thanks Jim.  This is good info to know, especiall for us up here in the sticks.   ;D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

bandmiller2

Jim,don't know how your coolant tank is set up but its very important to have a deep sump so the metal shavings can settle out as their pure poison to a pump.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jim_Rogers

I know someone told me once to get an old car speaker and tear the magnet out. But the magnet in a plastic bag that is water tight and put it in the water to collect all the filings. But I did that once and it worked for a while but somehow I lost the magnet or the bag or both.
I don't have one now.....

What else am I doing wrong?

Jim

Jim_Rogers

Ok, so I just changed the cam back to the regular 10/30 cam, so I could sharpen some blades I have been wanting to sharpen for a while.
I can't find my metal plate that sets the angle of the motor on the grinder.
It looks like this:

Can someone please help me with a scan or picture of their 10/30 plate?

If you can scan one in or take a picture of one then I can make a copy to use until I place another order with WM to get a new one for me.

Thanks

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday I decided I'd sharpen some of my 4° blades that I have been using this winter sawing oak and other frozen hardwoods, as almost all of them that I had on hand were dull.

My sharpener, here in my shop/office is fairly near the wood stove. And in the winter time the water in the coolant tray sometimes drys up.

I was cleaning out the fillings and other junk in the bottom of the fairly dry tray, yesterday, and noticed that the hose coming out of the top of my pump wasn't sitting correctly.

With further inspection I could see that the plastic flange that the fitting pushes into was broken. And there was no way to hold the hose to the pump.

My first thought was that I'd just super glue the shut off fitting to the top of the pump in position so it would work.

Off to the cabinet to get my tube of super glue. Have you ever tried to use super glue a second time? Well, I have and I don't think I've ever been able to get the tube open the second time.

And this time must have been the second time as the tube would not push out any supper glue. 

So, I cut off the end of the tube trying to find the hole to let out some glue. No luck. So I got out a drill and my cordless power drill and bored a tiny hole down the middle of the tube tip to get it open to let the glue out. Well I got the bit down in there and it seem like it was open all the way down. But no glue would come out of the tube.

Have you ever been able to use a tube a supper glue the second time? Oh, I guess I asked that already, didn't I......

Well, ok so I've got to go to Home depot to get another tube of glue, so why don't I find out if they have another pump on hand as well. Just in case this idea doesn't work.

So, I look up online, choosing my local store as my home store, and see that they don't have any pumps on hand. Bummer as this means now I'll have to travel further or have it shipped in.

Well they have this new (maybe old) thing where you can just add it to your cart and then drive over there and pick it up at the service desk.

I order the pump, and select "find a store" where it is within 50 miles of me. My local store said sold out, the store I went to last time says sold out. Just about every store within 50 miles of me was sold out. Except one store 11 miles south of me had four on hand.

I paid for it online and the process said to bring the copy of the email saying I paid for it with me to the store when I picked it up. And my card in case I had to use it at the counter.

After work, on the way home, I went to this store. Oh, yea, they sent me an email saying that they have found the item I wanted and it was up front at the service desk ready for pickup.

I walk in with my printed email and my card. I went to the return desk and returned an item I didn't need.
And the clerk asked me if there was anything else he could help me with. And I said: "sure", and handed him the paper with the paid pump id number and all that stuff that they said I needed to have.

I think he'd never ever seen one of these before. As he acted like he didn't even know what it was. However he found the pump on a shelf behind the desk.
Now I was standing there, with my Jim Rogers Sawmill hat on and I had my home depot credit card in my hand to use in case I had to use it to pay for my pump. And both he and the other clerk said I had to show them a picture ID.
I had the paper from them to me, I had my card, and they wanted more.

Didn't seem to make sense to me.
I left my wallet in the truck so I had to walk out to the truck and get it and walk back again to show them.

What a waste of time.

I could have said forget it and canceled the whole thing and walked over the the shelf and get one off the shelf my self and take it to self check out and be done with it.......

Here is the new one and old one:

It's in and up and running fine.

Jim Rogers

bandmiller2

Jim,I have had problems with crazy glue once the tube is opened.The solution is the pack with many small tubes,open use and throw it out. I wonder if you'd be better off using gravity for your coolant,container up on a shelf running through a tube into a bucket just strain and put back in the upper one. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cutting Edge

Jim. bandmiller has a good point.  Thats the principle I used when I "re" built my parts washer a couple years back...works better than any filter system and much easier to clean.  I put the "suction" line off the bottom and in the side...gravity keeps the trash below.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Thank You Sponsors!