iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to fill the gap with?

Started by Brad_bb, August 17, 2011, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

After renovating/closing in what used to be a cow stall area of my pole barn... I have sheet metal trim at the base of the wall. The floor is Rustoleum floor epoxy. I need to fill the gap between the trim and floor to prevent water from going under, especially in the area shown in the first photo what it is sloped towards the wall(used to be to the open outside).
   What should I use to fill/caulk the gap? I tend to stay away from Silicone based products due to the my cars and painting in my shop. Thanks.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

submarinesailor

Brad,

If you don't like/want to use silicone, then maybe you could try an elastomeric like this one:  http://www.dynasolv.com/Our-Products/elastomeric-caulk.html.   It is suppose to be real good for dissimilar materials.

Bruce

WDH

I have had good luck with Black Jack wet/dry roofing cement patching holes and filling gaps on roofs.  You can get it at Lowes.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

I would try to find a good roofing caulking and go with that. Should not be too hard to find, here we have a brand name  " flextra"  wich would be ideal for that.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

redbeard

Pro-seal is a good water proof sealant for metal roofing and siding. Although its 8.00 a tube. Sika-flex is a cheaper tube and grey is standard color. Both have silicone in them though.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Quote from: Brad_bb on August 17, 2011, 12:15:11 AM
I tend to stay away from Silicone based products due to the my cars and painting in my shop. 

?? Educate me.  Just curious  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

Silicone, once it gets on paint, is extremely difficult to remove all of it.  Then when you go to paint, the paint beads off like water on oil.  Autobody paint shops do not let anything with silicone in their shops to avoid contamination.  Just when you think you got it all, go to paint, and blam, all messed up.  Many will not use silicone based tire shine.  I also restore my classic cars and nothing silicone ever goes in my shop.

Silicone is like very small micro ball bearings.  Because they are so small, makes it very difficult to remove all.  Silicone actually has a distinct feel if rubbed between your thumb and forefinger. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

OK, I didn't know if it was fumes or what.

whiskers

Urethane Windshield Adhesive works well, I use it on the rv roof where vents and such penetrate the membrane. Get mine from an auto glass installer friend.....
many irons in the fire.........

tyb525

As long as you don't make a huge mess, applying a bead of silicone caulk will do the trick, and once it is dry there should be no problems with it spreading anywhere. Just don't go wiping your hands on everything until you wash your hands ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!