iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strangest Day at the Fair I have ever had

Started by just_sawing, August 16, 2011, 09:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I demostrate at the Wilson county fair every year. This year people have been contacting me to go get their logs to saw. I have a setup that I can do this but while riding in a Lexus to see some logs I got a Phone Call
"Mister Haney"
Were at witts end and don't know what to do. My something somethings brother has died we don't have the money for the funeral and have got permission to bury him on the phone. We have to have a Coffin and talked to every one and decided that you would know what to do.
At this point heck woods wood  I will donate.
Then the kicker "He is in the cooler and begening to deteriorate and we need it tomorrow. Could you do it.
Did you catch the point that I am at the wilson County Fair demostaaating my Wood Mizer.
What the heck, I might as well but do you understand that I am basically going to have to build this with a sawmill and Chain Saw.
OK
Sunday Morning
Bring the Log truck home pick up Poplar
Go to my new home that I am remodeling to get screws and such
Now I get out at my new place walk back and step with in 6 inches of a eastern rattler in my yard. He doesn;t strike (I have tennis shoes and short Pants on). I do though. Now I have a beheaded 4 foot rattler and a southern up bringing that doesn't like to waste things.
I now have gone to the fair and in front of everybody skin and mount the the snake hide.
I now decided that since we are also building a casket today I might as well have mom cook the rattle also.
I start the project and here comes the Blacksmith (What are you doing?) building a Coffin (You need Handle for that)
They go off and have a class on Coffin Handles and a Cross.
The Woodcarvers What's his nem and then take a board and proceed to carve his name and dates.
It was 10 PM in front of a few thousand people but we got it done.

You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

just_sawing

IF I can get the photo upload to work (Web site appears down I will post pictures
You can follow me at

GeneH

I hope that upload works, got to see some pics of that!

just_sawing

You can follow me at

just_sawing

You can follow me at

ely

i will agree on the strange day thing.... i will add that you guys did a bang up job for getting stuff done off the cuff.

GeneH

WH_Conley

Serves the same purpose as a 5k box. Better yet, it was built by people that have love and respect for their fellow man, know them or not. Good job.
Bill

zopi

I would much rather be buried in that box than one which cost more than my mill....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Coon

My hats off to you sir.  Thanks for sharing the weird day at the fair. :)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Magicman

smiley_clapping  to you and all involved.  What an honor, not only for you, but for the departed also.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

just_sawing, there for a moment I thought maybe the casket was for you sence I hadnt heard anything from you sence I visited you at the fair last year. You all did a good worthy deed for your fellow man. This will be talked about by the person who died kin folks and friends for a long time. bg

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mad murdock

Awesome story, great job on the box.  You guys did alright on all counts 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

two tired

it makes me proud to live in a country like America and have fellow americans like you, and may you and all those that helped receive a blessing for your kindnes
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

forestry mick

Brad_bb

I thought the next thing you were going to tell us was that he wasn't Christian, and the box was too short! :o    What a pickle that would be ;D
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DoubleD

Wannabe a sawmiller

Vern

best story I have heard on here hope........ God heeps many blessing on you....thanks for sharing it
vman

mikerat

My wife and I were looking at the casket and both thought what a great send off! I would be honored to be buried in that casket! A very nice job done with care, love and what's at hand, that's all anyone could ask for.

Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

just_sawing

Now that I am Back home I can give a roundup of how it ended.
First of all the coffin did hold up (I had nightmares about that.)
They picked him up and then at the grave site they found that as deep as the dug the grave they did not have rope long enough to lower him down.
Southern ingenuity they had a ladder so they place the latter in the hole sat the coffin on the ladder and slide him in.
He's there; the family can grieve and not have a debt they can't afford.
So all is well.
By the way grilled Rattler is right tasty with a Carolina Barbeque sauce. 

You can follow me at

Thank You Sponsors!