iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Houston we have a problem...

Started by oldsaw-addict, January 13, 2004, 08:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw-addict

Kevin, perhaps you would be able to help me out here.
My Jonsered 670 cylinder compression is registering in at 75# on my compression tester. I know this is sub standard pressure for a 4.1 CID engine because my PM610 registers #120 in the cylinder.and its only 3.7CID. anyone with advice please try and help me out here, I've already had the cylinder apart and found a seized piston ring, and freed that ring up. it will start, after more pulls than I'd like to even try to count, then die after about 2-3 seconds of intense smoke and fairly high rpm. Anyone think I should get the cure-all rool of duct tape out? ALL help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. ???
Let there be saws for all mankind!

rebocardo

I would do the same thing as a car, slightly hone the cyl. wall to take the oval out of it and put in a new ring.

Kevin

That's about all you can do without sinking a bunch of money into it.

oldsaw-addict

Well Thanks, I just had it running today, now the problem is that it runs for a while and dies out on me. I'm thinking carb rebuild. I had to adjust the fuel mix screws a little bit and it ran like it was possesed by the evil guy from down there.

And Kevin, before I forget, how in the HECK do you know so much about chainsaws? I just need to know, because that has been nagging at my mind fo a little while now and I have to know so that I can function normally again.

Kevin

oldsaw-addict

Oh. That must be some gift, just kidding people are born with some of these things, I was born with a natural talent for making things work. I mean just about anything with one cylinder, gas in the tank and a means to start it with.  My specialty is tuning chainsaw carbs, but I just cant do this 670 without the rebuild kit. Oh well I guess its off to westen auto on saturday for a rebuild kit. Thanks for answering my question there. I can finnally return to a regular state of mind.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stephen_Wiley

You see when Kevin was a little guy he saw the movie about making people smaller putting them into a miniture submarine and sending them through a persons body. The objective was to find the cancer tissues and kill it as the persons body was some dignatary.

So impressed by the movie, Kevin got his friends to insert him (after being mininturized of course) into a submarine and placed him in the chain oil resivour. Of course the harrowing experience took a few weeks for Kevin to recover. But like Prince Valiant he was gone again (with his friends assistance), this time into the fuel resvour for a trip through barrel and exhaust ports.

These daunting experiences have made Kevin knowledgable in what he knows today. :D :D :D

BTW - Actually, I think it is his nature to just "know why and how"    :)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

oldsaw-addict

Ok thats a good one for a joke and explanation in one. :D :D :D :D I would do the same thing, but in a missile engine. :D :D

tony_marks

im sure most of us know somebody that it all comes easy to..
  ticks me off when im trying to get it strait its like watching
  the hr hand move..
   :)

Tom

Kevin's sure got a lot of smarts when it comes to chainsaws, felling and trimming.   Makes a good administrator, doesn't he. :P :)

Kevin

Tom;
We have some pretty heavy duty talent on here.
I just dabble in it, some of these guys have it in their veins.
Thanks for the compliment just the same but I wish you hadn't said trimming, I'm hungry again.  ;D

Gus

Kevin is DanG sure a good administrator. Couldn't have found any better for a chainsaw forum if ya' went looking. ;D Wel . . . maybe ya' did. ;)
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Thank You Sponsors!