iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WIN A BAILEY'S CHAINSAW! (WINNER ANNOUNCED!)

Started by Roxie, August 15, 2011, 04:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

That's right, we're having a drawing for a Bailey's Chainsaw and here is all you have to do to get your name in the hat:

Get a block of wood that measures 5 3/4 x 5 3/4 square and 1 inch thick.
Put your Forestry Forum user name on the block (write, paint, burn, engrave).
Mail the block to:

The Forestry Forum
3210 Bischoff
Harrison, MI   48625

You'll want to get your block of wood to Jeff no later than September 5th, in order to be included in the drawing.  If you have not sent in your block, now is the time, and I hope to see all our chainsaw guys in the drawing!

Congratulations to:
thecfarm
Your name was picked at random from all of the entries for the chainsaw donated by Bailey's.  A big thanks to Bailey's for donating the saw for the pigroast drawing, and another big thanks to Carol Wade for winning it the first time at the pigroast and donating it back for this second contest.  :) :)
Say when

Jeff

Thanks Roxie!

Here is the saw that we are drawing for.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=EF+152+18&catID=

It was the door prize at the 2011 Pigroast, but the lady that won it, really had no use for it so has donated it back to give everyone on the forum a chance to win it.

Efco Model 152 Chainsaw with 18" Bar and Chain
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Buck

:D    Jeff you might get those blocks now!   :D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

Can I send in another block ?    :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

All previous block contributors that are still active on the Forestry Forum will be in the drawing along with any new ones that we receive.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on August 15, 2011, 10:14:28 PM
Can I send in another block ?    :D :D

I offered him a brand new Efco 152 last year.  ::)

Dandy saw to. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

I hear these run best with a 15% ethanol blend.  ;D

isawlogs

Quote from: Norm on August 16, 2011, 06:59:42 AM
I hear these run best with a 15% ethanol blend.  ;D
Norm, I think one would really needs to use Amsoil when using that gas. Some even use this oil at a 100/1 mix and have good results , I figure with the 15% plus 1% oil y'all should be good to go. :P   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mad murdock

Quote from: Roxie on August 15, 2011, 04:25:39 PM
That's right, we're having a drawing for a Bailey's Chainsaw and here is all you have to do to get your name in the hat:

Get a block of wood that measures 5 3/4 x 5 3/4 square and 1 inch thick.

Do I need to get a micrometer out to hold those dimensions exactly? ???  I will have to get a piece of 4/4 block cut up and in the post to you ASAP! 8) 8)

Thanks for doing this!  The Forestyr Forum is AWESOME!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jeff

A good quality tape measure is sufficient.  :D ;)

beenthere

If it doesn't fit, then Jeff has a couple choices. Da firepit or trim it with his new chainsaw.  ;D ;D

Easy to get 5 3/4 dimension to within a 1/32. If'n it needed to be 5.750000000 then mine wouldn't have fit. But I think that was about 5 years ago so it may have either shrunk a bit or swelled up a bit since then.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bro. Noble

I jumped in at the beginning and sent one that's not exact or uniform and sure isn't fancy.  Jeff accepted it anyway.  It's the thought that counts although I sure appreciate and enjoy the craftmanship shown in some of the blocks and I'm sure Jeff does too.  I wish I'd used a woodburner instead of a ballpoint to identify mine :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Warbird

Pretty cool idea, guys.  And this is why this place rocks.

Jeff

shelbycharger400

an odd one... what do you need a compression release on a 3.4 hp saw?  

Jeff

If you have ever had shoulder surgeries, if you have ever been old, if you have ever been or planing to be female or any number of reasons.

shelbycharger400

o..ok... marketing reasons. that brings up a good reason i didnt think of,  not that long ago, my mother usto cut firewood, and part of a tree service years ago, said she couldnt get her 16 in pouland saw running, she didnt have enough strength to pull the cord fast enough, I said, if you cant start it, maybe you shouldnt be trying to use it.  (I think and she said too, from doin the front steps at the log house about 3 years ago, 3 in thick pine, all 12 to 14 in wide steps, the sides are around 14 to 16 in wide, and railing is 3 by 6, might have been too much.) She went and bought an electric chain saw, lol, i told her their was one in the shed, then she said..well i have 2 now..lol

Looks like i might have to push myself to getting my mill done to make a block :)
i could use another pruner saw/ light to medium log saw.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jeff, with all these blocks of wood....are you going in the firewood business?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cut4fun

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on August 16, 2011, 05:26:37 PM
an odd one... what do you need a compression release on a 3.4 hp saw?  

My 026 pro has one and they sure didnt need them.

Some people getting up in age or problems with hands or shoulders probably  like the less effort starting with a de-comp.

Jeff

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 16, 2011, 08:37:51 PM
Jeff, with all these blocks of wood....are you going in the firewood business?

"All these blocks" is kinda funny if you know the history of this project...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,18953.0.html

clww

The "new" MS361 I bought has a compression release on it, too, although I haven't used it. I like those on my 084 and 090, though. It DOES help my right shoulder, too! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

shelbycharger400

ive used an older 084, with no release.. 10hp+...  it takes it tol on u, yes...i can see a release on that one.

on the blocks...  i think i might to a hand hewn one :) with my new toy , an antique single edge hatchet

petefrom bearswamp

I have had both bad shoulders (rotator cuff and am old )
A compression release on any saw is just right for me.
Jeff does exotic wood give you a better chance?
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

DR Buck

Quote from: Jeff on August 15, 2011, 11:13:50 PM
All previous block contributors that are still active on the Forestry Forum will be in the drawing along with any new ones that we receive.

Hey   smiley_wavy   I'm still active and you have my block already.  ;D

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dan_Shade

it's the wrong color, Dave  :-)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DR Buck

Quote from: Dan_Shade on August 21, 2011, 10:59:33 PM
it's the wrong color, Dave  :-)

I have a can of Orange Krylon.  :D :D :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

Dan Shade stole your block this past pigroast making you ineligible.

isawlogs

Great, now ya did it, we will have those three letter entities envestagaten this mess  :-\   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dan_Shade

I needed a coaster.

unfortunately, it got all busted up when I tried to get the letters off while running it through a jointer.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

I told you not to run that quartersawn white oak thru the jointer  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

Just a reminder that your wood blocks have to be sent this week to make it in time for the drawing! 

Become a part of Forestry Forum history by having your wood block be a part of Jeff's ceiling project! 

Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

Wooo Hoo! I was entered a couple of years ago!  8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

I've got a few more entries the last few days. One came today in kit form...

Shaky wood didn't survive in one piece. I've glued the pieces back together though.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Jeff

Here is a couple photos of the "Kit" block. :D

WDH

The post office could tear up an anvil  :D.

Mooseherder

beenthere

Good job figuring out how to put it together.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

If any trouble during assembly, call Patty  :) :)

Marcel

Raider Bill

My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Weekend_Sawyer

Looks like an electric bar clamp? or mabe it has a pressure sensor?   ;D

Jeff

Last day before we pick a winner. I know there is no mail, but we can't draw until after midnight tonight as there is still the far off obscure chance someone could drive in the driveway at the house in Harrison, or here in De Tour Village and hand us a block.  :)

Just to let you all know, we STILL did not get enough to fill the ceiling area.

Roxie

Say when

Weekend_Sawyer

How do you pick a winner?
Dake a dart, close your eyes, throw it up (the dart that is) and hope it sticks and not in your head?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Jon

Jeff

We have a Winner!

Jon, This is how we did it. we wrote out a list of all of the block contributors, then Tammy typed up the list and sent it to me up here at the cabin. I took the list and created a text file, one name per line.  I then used the script found here
http://textmechanic.com/Random-Line-Picker.html where I was able to upload the list to get it into the script.  I then used the shuffle button ten times to shuffle the names in the list. At that point I clicked the pick button to randomly pick a winner from the list of names.  :) :)  Seems like I am forgetting something. :-\

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

Ah, yea, you might have forgotten one small detail  ::)

Jeff

Oh Yea!  I remember now!   I then recorded the name so I could announce it here. :)

Weekend_Sawyer

Jeff

Okay, now I remember what I needed to do after that beating about the head. ;D

Drum Roll..........

Congratulations to:
thecfarm
Your name was picked at random from all of the entries for the chainsaw donated by Bailey's.  A big thanks to Bailey's for donating the saw for the pigroast drawing, and another big thanks to Carol Wade for winning it the first time at the pigroast and donating it back for this second contest.  :) :)

Shotgun

Congrats to 'thecfarm' !!  May you use it in good health.

Good job, Jeff (and Tammy), and thanks for all the drama.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Sprucegum

smiley_clapping   smiley_clapping   smiley_clapping

Good Game ! !

SwampDonkey

Congrats to thecfarm, it's a dandy little saw. ;)  8)

Raider Bill

It also got some of us off our 'my' lazy butts and send in a block. :D

Roxie

Say when

Magicman

Congratulations thecfarm for winning and thanks to Bailey's and Carol Wade for their generosity.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weekend_Sawyer

Congrats TheCfarm, we had to beat the answer out of him!!!

thecfarm

I don't believe it.   8) What a birthday present. I hollered to the wife that I won a chainsaw and she told me that I was lying to her. I had to show her this post so she believed me.
I am so exicited I forgot to thank you Jeff and Carol Wade too. I will put it to good use.I Know,I know,I will have to take pictures too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

Congratulations thecfarm! :)
What great Birthday present.
Happy Birthday. 8)

thecfarm

I got home from a full shopping day with my wife,it was her birthday Monday,mine was on Sunday.Told her we would go out on Tuesday due to maybe some things would be closed. Started out at 8am and got home at 7pm.What a long day,but not once did I say,are you almost done. Nor did I complain or acted like I wanted to go home. It was her day to shop and me to suffer through it. But when I got on the FF it was all worth it. I saw the flying pig and clicked onto it and got a PM from Jeff with a link in it. Wondered what that was all about. Clicked onto the link and that brought me to the contest post. Took a second for it all to sink into to my head. Guess I can't say I never win anything anymore. Sure will come in handy to have a second saw now.

nas

congrats thecfarm 8)  I'm so disappointed it wasn't me >:(  Ah well, maybe next time :-\

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

WDH

thecfarm

Found 2 dealers less than 30 miles from me and 3 more at about 40 miles.  ;D  I have the manual and the parts break down all bookmarked. Way past my bed time. I won't be able to sleep now.  :D

Holmes

Quote from: thecfarm on September 06, 2011, 10:08:10 PM
Found 2 dealers less than 30 miles from me and 3 more at about 40 miles.  ;D  I have the manual and the parts break down all bookmarked. Way past my bed time. I won't be able to sleep now.  :D
If you have a snack of warm grits it will help you sleep.  ;D ;D Congratulations on winning the saw.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

shelbycharger400

congrats. thec farm

prob for the best i didnt win it...  it would upset the wife if i got ANOTHER toy..lol

thecfarm

I suppose the same mix I use for my 372,a little less than 4½ gallons of gas to a 5 gallon oil mix will be OK for this nice saw I won.  ;D Should have a gloating smiley on here.

OneWithWood

smiley_clapping smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool smiley_hollywood_cool
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Warbird

Congrats, thecfarm!  I'm sure you'll put it to good use.  :)

clww

Good job, cfarm!!!!
I seem to remember that Jeff also got a new saw when he hit the Big 5-0, too!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jeff

Yes I did, and it and I are becoming very good friends.  :)

thecfarm

I hope to become very good friends with my new saw too.

Norm

Well nothing like being late to the party...congratulations Ray!

sandhills

Don't worry Norm, I just found this out too, I could blame it on the computer but.....it's just me.  Congratulations the cfarm! and happy belated birthday!

shelbycharger400

I seen menards carry the efco saw now.   i was lookin at it online eyeballin a 80cc... and wife looked at me ...  :-\
I think i need another saw..after a gig fell in my lap this afternoon.halvin a  2 ft dia boxelder and the guy comes up to me and talkin..anyway.  free wood to go cut...a block from home.. 8in to 3ft+ diameter trees, all oak, elm, maple. and he said take what you want..leave the brush lay.  even said...you hunt deer...come hunt deer this fall.  I have met more neighbors , at the compost site...  .  i have so much firewood, and 3 to 4 ft logs. ....lol, but no time to get the mill done.

thecfarm

The saw should be here today,IF the tracking is correct.

isawlogs

Hey Ray,...
Have they told you yet that it is not really a saw , but a look a like made of grits you are getting  ;) :D :D :D

Marcel

WDH

Yes, you are supposed to keep the box and throw out the grits  :D.

thecfarm

No saw yet,or should I say, no look alike.  ;D   Maybe today.

thecfarm

I got the box of grits today.   :D   Looks like it will cut wood just fine. Just about to take some pictures. I put gas and oil to it and it started up just fine. Gotta go play now. Thanks again Jeff and Tammy.
And a big thank you goes out to Carol and Joe Wade too.

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

Here I am,all smiles. I have my FF hat on too.  ;D

This will come in handy for a limbing saw. I used it for a few hours total yesterday.Still have a some limbs down for Irene to pick up. A light saw to carry around,saves on my shoulder. I like the adjustment for the bar,it's on the side. Choke and off and on are handy. Can get at the air cleaner quick and easy. It arrived just in time. My 372 Husky had to go to the saw doctor.Needs some small stuff fixed on it,2 missing bolts,terminal on the heated handles, and the clip for the sprocket fell off or broke off. I will keep one of those clips on hand now. never had that happen before. I was only without a saw for about 3 hours.  ;D  I'm very happy to add this saw to The C Farm.

Roxie

Thanks for the picture and happy sawing!  8)

Say when

isawlogs

Fits you like a glove  :) :) Nice to have a small saw around, a carry with me on the bike an 025 its lite and not hard to start, chains for it are cheap too.  ;D

Marcel

WDH

You are looking a little thin in that picture.  We may have to send you up some grits to fatten you up a little for the when the glaciers settle in on you in a couple of months  ;D.

(I am still jealous about the saw!)

Thank You Sponsors!