iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Oak

Started by ruddyone, August 15, 2011, 01:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruddyone

Hey Everyone -

First, yes, I am a new member and I don't have much experience.  I looked but didn't see an FAQ or anything but if there is already somewhere that answers my questions, feel free to simply point me there and tell me to shut up!

Here's my first question.  I have a family member that has a wooded farm.  He has a large Oak tree on his property.  The trunk is easily 8-10 feet in diameter and that part is about 20 feet tall before it starts to spread out.

The tree lost its leaves two years ago in the late summer and they have never come back.  Assuming that the wood is all good (we are not aware of any disease) how should the wood be cut.  He was told it should be quarter sawn because that would be worth more.  But, the more I read I'm not so sure.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Nate

beenthere

ruddyone
Welcome to the forum.

Look forward to you pulling up an oak stump and joining in.

Where you located?

Big tree if that is diameter and not circumference. Either way, quarter sawing would be good way to go.

Give the pic loading a shot, as it is easy to do and just needs some routine clicking to accomplish. Setting up your own album/gallery in your profile is a start. Then click on the Java uploader for an easy trip. Can offer suggestions if you get hung up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

paul case

welcome,
wow that is a big tree if that is diameter. most bandsawmills max out about 36'' on width of cut. so 1/4 of your tree may not even fit a bandsawmill. swing mills are made to cut those giants and would probably be your best bet. what type of oak is it? have you got plans for the wood?  the end use can dictate how to saw. good luck .
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Welcome ruddyone, to the Forestry Forum. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

At 8ft+ dia, probably need to quarter it to fit under a standard swing blade mill !!!

There are still portable mills made that can handle that size log, but unless that size log is common in your area, the mills wont be.

Usually a lot of good quality timber in that size log, so it's worth the effort, but it's not going to be easy. Some pictures and a location would allow us to give you better advice and maybe contact with someone that could help you out.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

clww

Yes, WE all want to see a picture of that tree (especially me).
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum and count me in on the pic request. If you are close enough I might ride the bike over to see this one. Would be best if it was with in a 1000 miles. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

There is a huge difference in a tree with a 10 circumference versus a 10 foot diameter.  A tree with a 10 foot circumference has a diameter of a little over 3 feet.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I'm hoping for either a tape measure or a camera.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

And welcome to the forum Nate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

for a log that big like Ian said yo can push a std Lucas to do 6' dia but they have built a Special to do a 8' dia log but its in Australia  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

scsmith42

Nate, I work with logs such as yours all the time.  Here is what I'd suggest.

First, see if you can take some photo's and post them here.  That will help us to determine what you have.  If you can find some old leaves, flatten them out and post a photo of them as well so that we can determine the actual species.

Also, take a take measure and measure the circumfrance (measure all of the wayt around the trunk) of the tree 5' above the ground, and let us know what it is. 

Is the tree located near a house or barn?  If so, there is a high liklihood that it has metal in it, which will reduce the yield.  Often times you can get around this by cutting the log about 5' above the ground. 

Many older oaks develop a rot inside the log, so until it is felled I would be hesitant to get too excited.  The fact that it's been standing dead for a couple of years means that you'll probably have some powderpost beetles or other bugs in the outer portions of the trunk, but this is not necessarily a deal breaker.

Quartersawning will yield the highest value lumber from that log - no two way's about it.  Your objective should be to yield the widest possible QS boards, as they command the highest price.  A 20" wide QS board would sell for 4x - 6X what a flat sawn board would sell for.

What part of the country are you in?

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sparky

As Scott mentioned, the tree may not be sound. There is a 5 foot diameter white oak on my brother's farm. It looks beautiful. A few years ago, a strong wind broke branches near the top of this tree, My brother went up into the tree to cut off the damaged limbs. He looked into core of the tree and saw nothing but empty space. The heart of this oak was a big void. There was about 10 inches of wood at the perimeter and nothing more. Don't get excited until you have confirmed that the tree is sound, and not heavily rotted in the center.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

ruddyone

Everyone -

Thanks for the replies.  I'll go through and try to answer more specifically tonight. 

I am in the Chicago area and the farm is near Columbus.  I asked a family member to go out and measure the tree and he said at chest height it is a little over 18' around.  So, I believe that's about 6' in diameter.  Not quite as big as I remembered it but still pretty large.  (I think)

He says its white oak but he didn't take any pictures and as I said, the leaves have been off for about 2 years so I'm not sure there are any around. 

There are some very good points about really being sure of wood quality before we jump to any conclusions.  That said, it seems like quatersawing may be the best bet.  There is an Amish mill nearby where we take other tree that have been felled.  Is quatersawing something all mills would be familiar with or something special?

I'm actually pretty excited because many of the branches are quite large but not extremely straight.  We are assuming that they wouldn't make great boards so we are looking at ways to incorporate into some rustic cabins that we are planning.

Thanks much for your thoughts.  I'll try to get a picture...

Best Regards,

Nate

Ianab

6ft dia is more believable, and still a decent size log  ;)

Like the guys have said there is a chance it's hollow, you never really know for sure until you cut though it.

6ft become a lot more manageable to saw, although it will still need to be quartered with a chainsaw to fit on most mills. But that gets the quarters down to 3ft across, which is getting down to the sizes that most mills can handle.

You can quartersaw on most mills, it's just a question of how much work it's going to be. On a swing blade, it's no more work, but you are limited as to the max board width. Other mills you are moving the log, or sections of it a lot more, so it's more work, or at least takes longer, even with hydralics. But the increased value of the boards makes up for it.

First thing will be to get the tree on the ground. Take care doing this as dead trees don't behave the same as live ones, not to mention that it might be hollow, and dead bits are likely to fall on your from the tops. Automatically makes it a "hazard" tree, not to mention it's size. Once the tree is down you will have a better idea if it's trash or treasure.

Good luck

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Be sure to wear a hard hat.  Trees that big are a real chore to fell safely.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!