iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did some sawing this weekend

Started by Coon, August 14, 2011, 09:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Well, I finally got a chance to do a bit of sawing this weekend.  I had four manitoba maple (box elder for you southern folks   ;D ) logs of various lengths, from one tree,  that we saved from going into the local dump.  The logs didn't look like anything spectacular as they showed signs of rot looking at the ends and branch stubs.  What we did find was some beautiful spalting and some rot and some good wood all mixed together.  Out of the four logs I never even hit metal.   8)  8)   In the second largest log we even found some flaming grain right beside one of the crotch locations.  All of these pieces that we cut will be used for various woodworking projects including wood turning material.  I missed getting the flaming grain pics so far but we still have to get those turning blanks put away for drying.  I will get some pics of this.  I did, however, get some other pics of some of what we cut.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

paul case

nice  sawing there coon. 
looks like you were having a good time of it.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

Thanks guys.  The last two of the logs I sawed I even had an audience.   :D   You wouldn't believe the excitment on ome of their faces when I pulled slabs and boards off the mill.  Kinda glad that they had interesting grain patterns as well.  It's very hard to wipe this grin off of my face.   :D  It's almost as if someone pinned it like this.   ;D 

I am having alot of fun with this.   8)   8)

pineywoods

We need to start a pool, how long before coon saws into the backstops while the spectators watch  :D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Coon

I'm game for that but.... it would have to wait now till I get my custom job finished before I have much of an audience again.   :D  My mill is already accustomed to being sawed into by the first owner.   :D  I have sawing through nails already under my belt.   ::)

DoubleD

Nice lumber there!!!  8) ask a ticket for the audience  :D

Davide ;D
Wannabe a sawmiller

thecfarm

Are you doing the wood work projects and turnings? We would enjoy seeing those projects too. Glad you are having a good time. Keep it that way.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MotorSeven

Quote from: pineywoods on August 14, 2011, 10:39:35 PM
We need to start a pool, how long before coon saws into the backstops while the spectators watch  :D

Or....

forget to tension the blade and hear a "bang" halfway thru a log.....don't ask >:(
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Chuck White

Good job there, Coon.

Looks & Sounds like you had the most fun!  ;)

Sometimes it gets very interesting when you open up a log or a burl.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Coon

I may very well be doing some of the turnings and woodworking with some of the wood but not till later on this winter when I may have a bit more time.  The wood is going over to my friend Arden's place to dry.  He has a couple of lathes and a whole whack of woodworking equipment that he has collected over the years.  Heck he even bought another small lathe with duplicator and sanding attachments yesterday at an auction for $75.   :D   Arden is a semi-retired school shop teacher and we have been talking about the possibilty of holding some woodworking classes in his shop this winter if we can get a few people interested.

Magicman

Sounds like you have a plan.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

Yup we do have a plan.  ;)  We even have some local and not so local woodworkers that want a bunch of turning blanks some spalted and some just whatever we have. 

On another note I got a whole whack of Manitoba Maple and spruce given to me by a neighbour.  They are all in shelterbelts that are along the road and with todays big farm equipment they can't get between the trees and the road to farm that strip.  I get all the wood I want out of this and leave the rest there.  They will come in with a cat and push out the stumps and pile the branches to be burnt.  Ya never know I may even keep a few of the Manitoba Maple stumps to saw out turning banks and such.

Thank You Sponsors!