iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dealing Directly With Mill (WRC)

Started by Wind_Knot, August 14, 2011, 08:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wind_Knot

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions about dealing directly with a cedar mill. I am interested in purchasing a rail car or two of western red cedar rough beams etc.. I am located in the middle of the country and could possibly set up the rail shipment on my own as I have some connections in that industry. I have a place to unload them once they are in so that aspect is already taken care of. If things go smoothly, I could possibly order up to as many as 10-15 rail cars a year.

My questions are really the how to's of dealing directly with the mill? Would a mill even be interested in this size shipment? Does anyone know of any cedar mills that would be willing to talk to me? Since I will be needing all different lengths and sizes what is the best approach? I have a band mill to do any custom milling once I receive the shipment.

If you would like to answer through pm or phone, please pm me.

Thanks,
Cole
"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me."

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Wind_Knot

I am looking for WRC and not ERC. I am assuming "Cedarman" deals with just ERC?

Cedarman

Get a copy of Softwood Buyer's Guide.  I think that is the name of it or close to it. If you can't find it, let me know and I will dig up an old copy.  They have gobs of cedar mills from large to small.  I think Brucer on the forum deals in small quantities of WRC and knows mills that deal in large volumes.
Good luck with the WRC.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Wind_Knot

Cedarman

The Softwood Forest Products Buyer.   I pick a copy up at trade shows.  They would probably send you an old copy. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kansas

You wouldn't have any problem finding a mill that wants to sell you that much. If I remember correctly from my grain elevator days, one rail car is about the equivalent of 3-3 1/2 semi loads.That has to do with weight limits. You will want to unload quickly. You start getting penalized if they can't press the car back in service in a day or two. Also find out how they will package it so you can either request smaller packages to fit your equipment, or have the appropriate equipment on hand.

On a side note, we loaded out a rail car for some rock company with big limestone rock that was destined for Idaho a few weeks ago.  They went into a gondola. Wonder how the hell they got that unloaded out there.

Wind_Knot

Bandmill Bandit

Did you find the western cedar you need?

I can get it organized for you if you still need it.
PM me if you still need it.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!