iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry books !

Started by Madman_Mark, January 13, 2004, 02:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

Hi everyone , this is my first post.
I've been following this forum for some time now and figured it was time to ask a question.
I'm looking for a few books that cover the basics of forestry including silviculture treatments, mainly thinnings.
I've got an old one that's about 20 years old but need something up to date.
I've made a living in the woods now for 15 years and have just recently started up on my own (part time) with a 4WD tractor with a new Farmi logging winch (great rig) and I've been selling firewood on the side over the years as well.
Can anyone suggest anything that's not to scientific/advanced but also not for beginners (ie. how to fell a tree or sharpen a chain).
Thanks

Texas Ranger

20 year old books are not that bad, forestry is not a profession that changes a great deal.  Equipment does change rapidly, as do the laws.  Keep up with the equipment and laws, read some of the stuff available on line (here, and about.com forestry) as well as the government sites, get general , and when a specific comes up, go Amazon for the book, or the local forestry school.

I have my texts from the sixties, and a deceased friends text from the twenties, forty years of changes consisted of laws, equipment, and size of trees.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Wenrich

Welcome aboard.

I'm still using my forestry books from 35 years ago.  The basics don't go out of date.  Ecology, silvics, mensuration, dendro and the like are all pretty standard.  You probably can find some of these books on either Ebay or Amazon.  Any college level book is pretty good.

You can also get up to date research by going to the Forest Service web site.  A lot of that stuff gets to be pretty technical.

The best thing you can do is ask questions.  You'd be surprised at all the expertise here on this website.  We pretty much cover from seedling to finished product and all points in between.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Like Ron and Don my Forestry books are 40 + years old and still very useful in the science of forestry.

There are always new publications to read and some new approaches to scientific management, but I find the "older" books to be the best references.

In addition to Forestry Schools, USDA-Forest Service, Extension Service, Libraries, amazon.com etc, you might also try The Forest Shop at www.forestshop.com

The have a catalog listing many forestry, nature & outdoor books. Many of which are applicable to your local area.
~Ron

Bro. Noble

Welcome Mark,

You probably are already aware that there is another Mark on the forum--------he's a madman too :D :D   If things get confusing we could always call him Stinkey Peterson ;D

I'm not a forester but like you,  I found myself looking for an up-to-date general forestry text.  I have one called Manual of Southern Forestry by Weaver and Anderson.  It was published by Interstate Printers and Publishers in 1954.  I've read it over and over and highly reccomend it if you can find one.  When I decided I'd get a more current text,  I looked in the bookstore at the Univ. of Mo.  Found a new text,  scanned through it and found that what our resident foresters just said to be the case.  It had the same stuff as my old book and was priced at over 50 bucks :o :o

Check with your Extension service for current forestry info.

Ask any chainsaw dealer for literature on chains and chain maintenance as well as tree felling.  Oregon and other chain manufacturers supply this information free of charge.  Your dealer should have a pile of it.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Stephen_Wiley

Many of my best reference books are old enough they are out of print and sought for by many professionals.

Often newer concepts are given a lot of attention through newer books. Unfortunately, they do not always work. Meanwhile to detail there information, a former practice has been excluded from the book.

Years ago processed into books and promoted to filbert orchard growers was the theory to inner-plant to produce a higher yield.  On paper it looked good. The results however, were catastrophic. Resulting in a loss of yield from competing trees and high cost of removal to re-establish orchard.

Since you say your somewhere between begginer and not scientific. May I suggest you begin by getting some basics in the following areas:

1. Soil Science
2. Pathological disturbances
3. Crown to Root Ratios
4. Mensuration
5. Species Characteristics

Note: Because of the wide diversity of growing mediums some species information. May not be applicable to your local region, although it may state it is.

Have fun!   :P :) ;D
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Jeff

Mark, ebay is a very good source for used forestry books. THere is generally always something on there. Just search forestry or forester or foresters
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Yo Bro;
I thought you would have written your own books!  :D

Percy

Welcome
With a name like Madman, your gonna fit right in... :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bro. Noble

Kevin,

If I write one,  I'll send you a copy so you can color in the pictures ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Stephen

Hello and welcome Mark,

The Nova Scotia Government has a series of booklets for their Woodlot Management Home Study Program. This is available on-line at
http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/extension/woodlot/default.htm

They are having a Chainsaw safety course for home-owners Jan 24 in Bridgewater, more info on the site. I contacted the Forestry Safety Society for information and they plan a 2 or 3 day course sometime in March.
http://www.fss.ns.ca

Hope this helps.
Stephen
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Madman_Mark

Thanks for all the leads, looks like there's all kinds of info out there.
Stephen, I was at DNR here in Waverly today asking the same question and they never mentioned that course, thanks, I'll look into that.

burlman

hey madman, check out " www.forestshop.com" I use this store for all my forestry books. This is all they specialize in, forestry,outdoor and nature books.  good luck ...burlman..

Frank_Pender

Wel a board Mark (Madman)  Always great to have another thought on the board. 8)
Frank Pender

Ron Scott

RE:  WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO CUT A TREE DOWN?

For those that work with grades 1-3, this is a nice resource.  The illustrations are great and offer many avenues of discussion.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/whycutatree/whycutatree-book.pdf

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!