iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Reaper

Started by Bothy_Loon, August 14, 2011, 02:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bothy_Loon

The Reaper entering Arbroath Harbour on the East coast of Scotland today.
She is owned by the Fisheries Museum I Anstruther, Fife & some time back I posted pictures of the trees I used to make the masts. My involvement was in scourcing the right trees, milling the bottom 15ft into 20x20inch square, before passing them on to the boatbuilders for final rounding & fitting. They seem to be standing up well.

Jeff

I wish I was standing there in the light breeze watching her come in and seeing you smile.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bothy_Loon

Quote from: Jeff on August 14, 2011, 03:15:40 PM
I wish I was standing there in the light breeze watching her come in and seeing you smile.  :)

Thank you. I had a big grin on my face. Not supplied any masts for a year or two now. Think the economic climate has put paid to a lot of restoration jobs.

Magicman

You are enjoying "job satisfaction" to it's fullest.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

That is very cool. What species of tree do you use for the masts, and what length and diameter are needed?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

The 20 x 20 number you give helps with the perspective of the size of the boat, do you know the size of the boat ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Texas Ranger

Well, done, and can only wish to be standing there with you, Jeff, and the rest of the sea faring humans.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bothy_Loon

Glad you found the shot interesting.
The masts were made of Douglas Fir which were from a seed scource on the McKenzie river, over your side.
The tall mast came into me at 69ft & the shorter was 55ft.
I cannot remember the longth of the boat but will try to find out.

thecfarm

I think this is the thread?

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,14849.20.html

The masts look just fine. The farthest my wood went is MI on Jeff's porch ceiling. That's all I have for bragging rights.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Beautiful  picture, thanks.

whiskers

very interesting and thanks. here's a link to S/V Reaper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaper_(sailing_vessel)

many irons in the fire.........

Bothy_Loon

Quote from: whiskers on August 15, 2011, 07:30:56 PM

very interesting and thanks. here's a link to S/V Reaper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaper_sailing_vessel29

That's my girl!
I should have said also that the Douglas Fir that was used for the masts were grown from seed scoured along thr Fraser River.
I also got involved with masts & spars for the Kirkenes.
The Kirkenes was used as a pilot boat in Kirkenes in the far north of Norway. She was found in a derelict state about 5 years ago in Portugal & was bought by a man who lives not to far from me. He heard that I did trees for masts so contacted me. It was a real pleasure taking him to the wood to see his trees being selected then felled & taken to roadside.
The story does not have a happy ending though. It seems the boatyard in Portugal where he has spent a fortune on restoring the boat, wants even more money & it has now got messy with lawyers involved. I hope someday that he gets his boat back & I can get a few pictures of her in full sail. The owner has suggested a trip to Kirkenes, but I am no sailor & the North sea can be a rough place!

Thank You Sponsors!