iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price per Unit splits - Western NC

Started by westernnc, August 14, 2011, 02:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westernnc

We are landowners Western NC and are working with a logger to log a 100+ arce.   We are looking at doing a price per unit contract with the logger.  From our research this percentage varies alot.   What is fair to expect for both the logger and landowner if done by percentage?
Both for sawlogs and chipperwood/pulp?  Sawmill that is being used is under 45minutes round trip from site.   From cruise inventory  will be around 1/2 sawlogs oak/poplar etc and 1/2 volume chipperwood.
What is fair for hardwood price per unit? % for logger and landowner
Price per Chipperwood/pulp per ton? % /$$  I believe logger is receiving $30 ton for chipper wood.
Any help would be appreciated.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

I take it you have a forester involved, in that you have cruise volumes. Does this forester have any suggestions along the lines of your questions? He/she would be closer to knowing your local situation, regards volumes and markets.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

westernnc

Our forestery service has not done an offical inventory - just a general cruise as yet.  They are not willing to give advise regarding financials.  We are hearing 40-50% for hardwood as a base line, and less than $ 5 TON  on the chipper wood.  We are just trying to find out what is reasonable?

beenthere

I'd suggest hiring a forester to help you out. I think you would be much better in the end, knowing more about the logs leaving your land. Finding things out after the logging is done and the logger is leaving, isn't a good time by many who have had bad experiences going it alone.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Ditto! Good advice. It's always best to have a local professional forester working on your behalf.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!