iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a little Log Splitter advice from the pros.Only for personal.

Started by LandfillLumber, August 12, 2011, 07:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandfillLumber

Okay I'm looking at two splitters Lowes has a 27 ton
http://www.lowes.com/pd_116418-270-24BF572B711_0__?productId=1005417&Ntt=log+splitter&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dlog%2Bsplitter&facetInfo=
It bigger but slower 19 seconds.Then I'm looking at this one as well a little smaller 22 ton but fatser 13 cycle time.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/outdoor-power-equipment/log-splitters/huskee-reg-22-ton-log-splitter-1032822
I split a fair amount of wood for just a home owner,but this is only for personal use(i don't need a huge super fast machine),so do I go with the fater 22 ton of the slower 27 ton.I do split some bigger wood and crotch junk but I think the 22 ton would be okay.I'm not worried about the extra $300 for the bigger one just want to make the right purchase,but on that note I won't spend $1700 on a 27 ton Huskee.Please any advice would be great thanks in advance,Victor

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

brendonv

I'd go with number two.

The Husky splitter is actually made my Speeco.  I picked up a Speeco 3 point hitch model, which is the same splitting setup as the husky minus the engine and hydraulics as it runs off another source.  I found that on craigs list brand new for $400 so I couldn't pass it up.  The beam and cylinder mounts are very rigidly built, and splits everything I've put through it.  They also make a slip on 4 way wedge for it (LS 401442), which I have on order and should be here next week.

Good luck.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

LandfillLumber

I have heard much better things about the Honda engines(the Lowes splitter/27 ton) over the B&S ones(tractor supply/22 ton)?Any input about that?Thanks a bunch,Victor

beenthere

I have an 8hp B&S on my splitter that was new in Jan '85. No overhaul, and doesn't burn oil. Has easily split an average of 8 full cords of hardwood firewood each of those 26 years. One problem was keeping the muffler tight but a makeshift bracket to hold the muffler in place solved that problem. Starts easily, and just runs and runs and runs. It is not run at wide-open-throttle, but just at a fast idle. Plenty of splitting power and about a 15-16 sec cycle time. Keeps up with this old man.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

I have a Huskee 35 ton, with the 4 way slip on wedge, I am well pleased with it. The factory 4 way just sits with a thin strap that will get bent on bigger wood, beef it up.

As far as the price at Tractor Supply, look for scratch and dent. I bought mine because the guy that bought it originally brought it back a couple of days later, said it was junk and got his money back. Only thing wrong was the fenders were knocked off. They will give you the new warranty, same as the brand new ones. I saved $400.00 on the purchase price and have used it to split the wood for 4 families for 3 years without a glitch. My guess the first guy split his winters wood and got his money back, free splitter use.

You just have to keep checking with them and not be in any hurry, they probably won't have any til people start worrying about winter.
Bill

clww

I bought a Huskee 28 ton splitter new from tractor supply 3 years ago for $1550. I've changed the hydraulic pressure hose on it, the hydraulic fluid and the filter. I need to get the wedge re-welded, as it has several cracks starting to form in the past two months. So far, I've split at least 50 cords of wood with it. I would buy another one, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sprintfan11

I have the 27 ton and I love it. I cut and split at least 10 cords a year, I run my Central Boiler 5036 year round. Great power, very easy start, the Honda engine has run great. I got mine new on sale for $1300.
Use up, wear out, make do or do without.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20"
1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Troy-Built 27 ton splitter
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

Busy Beaver Lumber

I have the Huskee 35 ton with 15hp Briggs motor on it. It is a fantastic splitter and I do split a huge amount of wood with it. I have owned it for 3 years now and it still starts on the first pull and runs like a clock.  It also tows down the road very nicely and predictably, although they do recommend you stay under 45mph while towing it.

Be patient and keep your eyes open and you can catch a good sale on it. It normally sells for around $1999, but I caught it on sale for $1599 brand new

My best friend who splits about 20 cords of wood a year has the huskee 22 ton and loves his as well.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

peterc38

Quote from: LandfillLumber on August 12, 2011, 09:30:39 PM
I have heard much better things about the Honda engines(the Lowes splitter/27 ton) over the B&S ones(tractor supply/22 ton)?Any input about that?Thanks a bunch,Victor

The Honda engine on the 27 ton is a GC series. IMO it is not any better than the Briggs.

If we were talking Honda GX series engines thats a whole different ballgame, those are arguably amongst the most reliable small engines made.

Its tough to beat the value of the 22 ton Speeco/Huskee splitter from TSC.
Kubota L4060 Cab
562XP
371XP
346XP
Fiskars "Super Splitter"
Logrite 60" Peavey
Huskee 22 ton splitter
2 Great Danes

Dean186

Quote from: peterc38 on August 19, 2011, 12:19:52 PM
Quote from: LandfillLumber on August 12, 2011, 09:30:39 PM

The Honda engine on the 27 ton is a GC series. IMO it is not any better than the Briggs.

If we were talking Honda GX series engines thats a whole different ballgame, those are arguably amongst the most reliable small engines made.

Its tough to beat the value of the 22 ton Speeco/Huskee splitter from TSC.

I have heard the same about the Honda GX engine.  My Timberwolf splitter has the GX engine and it runs great.

lumberjake

i have a honda engine on my commercial iron and oak splitter and have never had a problem with it.  I ve had it for about 8 or9 years now and it starts easy every time. And it's even been flipped over from when an employee forgot to put the pin in the hitch and drove away. They're a good engine but i also have never had any other to compare.

Al_Smith

I have no idea where or how they come  up with those tonnage ratings .

On a 4 inch cylinder which is 12.56 square inchs even at a full 3000 PSI you only come up with a tad over 18.5 tons .On a 5 inch it's 29 ton .A 5 inch is 19.6 square inches

Most valves are preset at either 2200 or 2700 psi or somewhere in between .So on a 5 inch that could be between 22 and 26 tons give or take .

So from my view point Timber wolf is the only one that gives the honest tonnage rating I've seen on commercialy built splitters .

John Mc

Timberwolf is made just down the road from me. They are known for honest ratings on their splitters.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dean186

Quote from: John Mc on August 24, 2011, 09:30:53 PM
Timberwolf is made just down the road from me. They are known for honest ratings on their splitters.

John, 

Lucky you if you are in the market for a splitter, you would not have the shipping fee.  I purchased the Timberwolf HV2 log splitter and the thing I disliked most was the shipping fee.

I agree with Al_Smith about getting real numbers from Timberwolf.

John Mc

I've got a Ramsplitter 16 ton electric splitter (basically built just like a similarly sized gas splitter, but with an electric motor driving the hydraulic pump). Works well, I occasionally wish for bigger, but this was the largest that would run on a standard 20 Amp 120 VAC circuit. It splits most anything I throw at it. It won't handle a 4 way wedge, unless I'm splitting pretty easy stuff. Bought this when I was planning on doing all my splitting right behind the garage. I do that occasionally, but mostly run it in the woods with my generator these days.

A friend has a Timberwolf - great splitter.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

I have a little bitty electric splitter with a 3.5 inch cylinder and a 5 HP rated single phase motor .They tell fibs about electric motors too .By the amperage draw in reality it's 2.8 HP .

At any rate that thing will only split about 19 inchs but it has a knife edge instead of a wedge .Thusly it doesn't take near the power but you about have to run the piece clear through .I've got pictures of it splitting 36" oak rounds ,clear grained of course .

Cute little thing.Only has a 4" beam and sits on go kart tires .You just roll the big rounds on it .

My wife's cousin is using it at the moment .As little as it is the thing does pretty good and certainly beats an axe or mall .

Busy Beaver Lumber

Al_Smith

which electric log splitter did you buy?  Been thinking of getting one for our place at the lake just in case I want some smaller pieces of wood to start the fires
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

John Mc

Busy -

How heavy a splitter are you looking for? there are some light duty, small lightweight units out there, rated for around 4 to 6 tons that may be good for re-splitting, but are far from a primary splitter. Then there are some that are regular log splitters which just happen to have an electric motor on them instead of a gas engine. As I mentoned earlier, 16 ton is the biggest I've seen that is set up to run on a standard 120 VAC circuit. There are bigger ones, but they generally are set up to run on 220 VAC. You lose a bit of portability with those, since 120 outlets are far more common.

clww

It doesn't matter to me if it's an 'honest rating' of 18 tons or 42 tons. If it splits anything I throw onto it, that's what counts the most. My 28 ton Huskee does that for me.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on August 25, 2011, 09:45:10 PM
Al_Smith

which electric log splitter did you buy?    
I didn't really buy it.The thing was given to me without an engine .I found one of which I forgot the name that had a 5HP gasser on it  on flea bay .

I had the electric motor which I knew produced as much power so I went with it .Now on occasion it can stall the motor .No big deal just back it out and hit it again .It's a single stage pump,no reduced volume .

One thing about it,the electric motor always starts .Cheap to run .In my case basically a free  splitter .

Al_Smith

Here's another thing .On maybe a small tonnage or longer cycle time splitter  if you are 25 30 years you can out run one with a good axe .Now lets see you out last one .Kinda like John Henry and the steam drill . :D

sparky1

I too am in the market for a good splitter. Id like to get one at a good deal. It seems i end up splitting alot of knarly wood, elm.  so it needs to be a good one.
Shaun J

sawguy21

Speeco is now owned by Blount, parent company to Oregon, they make a very decent splitter for home use. Stay away from the models with the Chinese engine, no support.
Splitters are very simple machines and can generally be serviced with generic components from a hydraulic supplier.
The cheap off shore units have odd ball metric fittings that are not readily available in North America.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Somebody earlier mentioned that the Honda GX engines were far better than the GC series.

Does Briggs have similar distinctions within their product line? If so, which ones are the best for durability?

Kohler also has a range of engines I can never keep straight Courage, Command, Command Pro, etc.

I've also heard good things about the Subaru Robin Engines, as well as the engines in some of the Kawasaki generators.

Thank You Sponsors!