iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Painting Camoflauge

Started by Raider Bill, August 12, 2011, 09:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Has anyone ever painted something camo? I bought the house across the street from me a couple months ago. Due to impact fees I don't want to tear it down but I also don't want to look at it either. ;)

Thinking painting it camo so it disappears :D I know the neighbors would love to not see it anymore.

I looked at Sherwin Williams but it appears they don't sell camo paint all in one can. Believe it or not you have to buy separate colors and apply them at different times. I thought I'd just get a can of premix and blast it on with the airless.

Anyway, base coat of a beige/green Maybe a darker green then brown or gray sort of along the lines of realtree. How do you get the leaves and branches in there?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WH_Conley

Use a template to draw them Bill. :D
Bill

fishpharmer

Bill, I have camo'd a few items.  My goal was to match the background.  So if I painted a duckboat I tried to match the grass.  Or deer stands match trees or leaves.  Since your almost tropical, shades of greens may be the color to stay with.  

To make leaf patterns you can paint the base coat your dominant leaf color of green.  Then break off branches of common local plants and paint over them.  They are like a reverse stencil.  When you pick up "stencil" branch, the leaf patterns are left. You can buy plastic leaves at craft stores on do the same.  There a several approaches. You can also have a base color and cut out a leaf stencil. If that makes sense.

Practice on some cardboard and set it next to house to find the look you want.

Gotta say, I don't think I've ever seen a camo house. :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Raider Bill

Quote from: fishpharmer on August 12, 2011, 10:24:52 AM

Gotta say, I don't think I've ever seen a camo house. :D

If they did a good job you shouldn't see it :D :D :D

I'm only going to do the side that faces me.

Jeff

You don't want camo, you need to paint a beach babe mural on it
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WH_Conley

That sounds like the best idea.
Bill

D Hagens

I built an awning on a deck once that I covered in camo fabric and from the street you couldn't even notice that it was there :)

Buck

Camo in one can?   Reminds me of Boudreauxs thermos. He told Thibodeaux he got it for his lunches. It kept the hot things hot and the cold things cold. Thib asked, whats for lunch? Boudreaux said, chili and ice cream. There you go. Its all converted to food now. 8)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

If it is beach babes, you will want to look at it rather than not see it  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I did a few things and the way Fish explained it is how I did it , base coat , then different color with leaves held on and painted over , change leaf patern and colour and do it again. End product was good, so good that I have trouble finding those darn things now, well that could also be the memory factor that slips some now and  then  ::) :D ;D
  I would like a pic of the camo paint on the house , as I have yet also to see that .

I beach mural would be an eye pleaser, but from what I read that would cost more then what the structure it would go on be :-\   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WH_Conley

He doesn't need the whole beach, just the babes. :D
Bill

WDH

The expensive part will be getting the models  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TonyZ

I could get you some camo painting lessons from the nitwit here who painted his pickup truck camo. The halfwit damned near broadsided me at twilight one day when I almost pulled out in front of him at an intersection because I didn't see him. I was lucky because I detected movement at the last second. Did I mention that he did not have lights on?

Raider Bill

Did you guys use spray paint or roll over the leaves and branches?

semologger

How big of a wall do you have to camo? Or you can just move in that house and look at yours now.

isawlogs

Seeing as I did not undertake the sid eof a house but a few little hunting things as a deer stand and scale I used spraye cans ..
I can see where you could do the base coat with a roller and then spray paint the camo colours onto this.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jdonovan

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 12, 2011, 09:27:09 AM
Has anyone ever painted something camo? I bought the house across the street from me a couple months ago. Due to impact fees I don't want to tear it down but I also don't want to look at it either. ;)

There are guides on the net for painting cammo. The new digital cammo patterns are a bit easier as you can lay out a grid, and then its paint by numbers =).

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on August 14, 2011, 06:39:13 AM
The expensive part will be getting the models  ;D.

Not really....... course again beauty is in the eye of the beer holder :D :D

It's not that big of a house maybe 750 sqft I only want to do the 1.5 side I can see.

Between the rats, termites and roaches......

Personally I don't even like going inside it. Woman was a hoarder and it was just plain nasty. I hired some rent a drunks to clean it out but nothing will ever take that smell away.
I do not even allow my dog in the yard as I'm afraid she will catch something. I bought it simply because I didn't want anyone that would live in it living across the street from me any more.
I had thoughts of rehabbing it but upon further review that is not feasible. If I tear it down then I will have impact fees so I'm just going to paint it away....
I'm going to pick up some natural insect killer and turn the yard into a killing field. In time my Son and I hope to be able to plant a nice garden there but for now...

I guess I'm going to go goggling digital camo painting and see what kind of a artist I can become.

jdonovan

Donate it to the local FD for a live-fire training home.

The tax write off might leave you ahead even after any impact fees.

Raider Bill

Quote from: jdonovan on August 14, 2011, 03:57:32 PM
Donate it to the local FD for a live-fire training home.

The tax write off might leave you ahead even after any impact fees.

I offered but they don't do that around here anymore.

jdonovan

[italian accent]
You got a nice house over there.
I'm just saying' it would be a shame, if, say  something unfortunate, were to happen.
Say, it would Be a shame if a kerosene heater fell over one night in there.

fishpharmer

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 14, 2011, 09:35:21 AM
Did you guys use spray paint or roll over the leaves and branches?

I have brushed base coat and sprayed leaves and other patterns.  I would think rolling base coat would work fine.  You might be able to make some big stencils with cardboard.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Paul_H

I had a couple gallons of plaid paint here in clan Munro Tartan.I made the mistake of shaking it once and it came out MacDonald and had to throw it out.  :-\
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

WDH

Those Scots are nit picky  :).

Raider Bill

Quote from: Paul_H on August 14, 2011, 05:36:38 PM
I had a couple gallons of plaid paint here in clan Munro Tartan.I made the mistake of shaking it once and it came out MacDonald and had to throw it out.  :-\

That's what I'm afraid of. I want woodland not urban camo. Maybe shaken not stirred.

Thank You Sponsors!