iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodworking Projects

Started by Bill_B, January 12, 2004, 02:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_B

I finaly have some photos of some of the things that I have been doing this winter This is the first time that I have tried to post

Walnut Jar

Cherry Jar

This was my first to projects that used segmented turning.
Bill B

Patty

Wow!   :o   Those are really beautiful.
You do nice work, Bill
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Fla._Deadheader

Nice. ;D  Someday I gotta try that. Maybe in my spare time ??? ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DeepWoods

As an avid woodworker myself, all I can say is "Those are way cool!!!"  I have a small lathe, and have tried my hand at turning bowls and vessels,  but nothing like that.  Although the largest segmented turning was for the base of our dining room table I built for my Wife.  It is about 20 inches in  diameter. Now this was scary. I wondered the whole time I was turning it when it was going to blow apart.

Needless to say everything went well.  I will have to try a bowl or vessel like yours sometime soon.   I really like your work.  
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

shopteacher

Very nice work Bill.  I have an opening for a segmented turning demonstrator for periods 3,5 & 6. When can you make it?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

RavioliKid

Wow! Nice work! I have got to get a lathe - right after I get the garage cleaned out...sometime after the spring thaw...

:D
RavioliKid

sawwood

Nice looking work Bill. I do segmented turning but have
 not done any ring turning like yours. Will have to try it
 soon with the wood i have received. Keep up the good
 work.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

CHARLIE

Bill, nice turnings.  Isn't it fun!  The only tense thing about it is when you are nearing completion and they are spinning while you move the gouge up to cut one last time. :o  When the walls of the bowl or jar are getting thinner. What is neat is your jars will be around for many many years. I hope you signed and dated them. 8)

What did you use to sand inside the jars?  I made a sander out of a dowel, part of a mouse pad and a 2" hook and loop disk. It works slick. A lot better than sticking my hand in there.  :)

Charlie
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bill_B

Thanks for all the good words.
I have been doing a lot of wood turning in the last 2 years. It helps to be retired.
Deepwoods that was a nice job on the table base. The first few tims you get very jumpy about blow ups.
Charlie i used my han as these pieces are 9 inches wide. I only had to sand with 220 and finer paper. It is hard to believe that a gouge can leave that good of a finish.
Bill B

OneWithWood

Very nice work, Bill B.  Someday I will sharpen the chisels and fire up the lathe again.  It is just an old Shopsmith Mark V but I used to have lot of fun with it.  There are a number of qulity turners on this site and everytime someone shows their work I get wistful again.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

HI Bill_B

That's very nice work indeed  8). It would be neet to mix the wood species also. I also have a lathe, 32 inches between centres. I've not tried that kind of work, just with solid peices. Do you have the ring-headed gouge to go inside the bowl to escavate it out like a vase? You can turn a vase with quite a small mouth with those. I got mine at Lee Valley Tools and it came with a white sharpening stone and jig. Nice little tool  :) The one thing I have against my lathe is its not reversible. I suppose one could rewire it for reverse though. In order to do a good polishing job (I mean like a glass vinish) on the lathe it needs reverse.

Again, very nice work.  :)

regards
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

HI All:

Here is one of my works that bring back alot of memories of fishing with grandfather and an elderley gentleman who loved to fish and tie flies. These two gentleman were great story tellers of fishing and hunting, no one told it like they did.  :)

The case of this fly box was made of black cherry I cut on the woodlot and had milled locally. The cover was white ash, also from the back 40. I placed a mirror inside at a 10 degree angle so that when viewed above you could see the profile of the flies. I lined the bottom with white felt to enhance the color of the flies. These classic atlantic salmon flies were tied by Arthur Eastwood of Pentiac NB, whom was a good friend of mine for over 20 years. His wife was a very nice lady also. I'll remember them always.

enjoy  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

UNCLEBUCK

holy cow ! wow wow ! that is all awesome ! amazing stuff ! beautiful no doubt !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Swede

How do You find the time to make that wonderful things?  Looks like a lot of time spet at them. I can´t find more then 24 H/day and most of it takes to make me a pease of bread.
Are all of You pensioners or married?  ;D

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

SwampDonkey

;D Nope, some of us are spoiled young bachelors  ;D

Bill_B

SwampDonkey, In answer to your question I used onty a 3/8 bowl gouge on these projects. When I was glueing them up I would turn the insid after each 3 rings. I have an old delta lathe that I have made some changes on.
Al the wood that was used was sawed by my brother and I about 25 years ago on a Crabb circle mill. I have stored the wood in my barn.
Swede I am a retired carpenter. It is nice to be able to do this kind of work with no time restraints.
Right now I am working on a small bud vase that is 4x10 inches. It will have over 700 pieces in it.
Bill B

EZ

Good job Bill.

A few years ago I bought my lathe used, a heavy cast iron delta. It was a early Christmas present for me. After getting it set up and what not, I decided to turn down a snowman for my wife. I went over where I was cutting fire wood and got a chunk of maple, 2 ft long, 16 inch dia. Knowing that it would spit after a while in the house, but I just figured it would be nice to have something different in the house for the holidays. Besides I could kinda show off my skills with the lathe. ;D After I finish it I brought it in the house, my wife just love it. That night when we went to bed, about 3 AM the dog started barking, I jump out of bed, grab the gun and started looking out the windows for theives. Didnt see anything excipe the dog pawing at the floor. I turned the light on and there were big black ants everywhere, hundreds of them. Here that snowman crack open and that was there nest for the winter.
EZ

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

SwampDonkey

:D  :D  :D Carpenter Ants, geee gats!  :D  :D  :D

Swede

An old man  had some swarmig bees and they stayed as bees use to do up in a high fir. As beefarmers use to, he wanted his bees back in the hive but could only find one way; To shoot of the branch they where sitting on with his gun.
He shoot, the branch was still up there, but the bees flew "home". This (You to choose) hunter must have hit the qeen bee!!

EZ

Here in small & poor Sweden  we´ve heard that evryting is JUST THAT BIG at "Your side" but... ???.Are You hunting ants with a shot-gun  ?!!??  

*har to belive* Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

SwampDonkey

:D   :D  :D   :D

Poor Swede:

I'm not sure if you were joking or got confused. Hard to follow your broken english  ;D

Carpenter ants escavade wood to make cavities and canals for over wintering and nesting their young grubs. EZ was awakened by his puppy dog that was barking at the ants crawling all over the floor. They were living in his carving he made for the wife. He had the gun because he thought burglars were about the house when he heard the dog barking  ;)

SwampDonkey

Here's a couple novelty pieces done with the hollowing tool (ring-headed gouge). Nice dust collectors, made of black cherry  :D

Hersey Bowl

Hollowed bowl

A) Hollowing Tool ; D) Spiralling/Texturing System; C) Captive Ring Tool

Courtesy Lee Valley Tools
http://www.leevalley.com

shopteacher

Nice lathe work SwampDonkey. I re instituted using the lathe at our school when I started teaching there.  The kids really like using them.  The guy before me got rid of all the lathes and I have recouped three, 2 used 12" Deltas and a small Fisch mini lathe.  In 2005 the school is going into a complete renovation and I hope to have a new CNC lathe to go with the new shop.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!