iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Direct glazing our timberframe

Started by frwinks, August 09, 2011, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frwinks

I thought some of you might find this interesting ;)....
We designed our house with passive solar heating in mind and with S/E exposure, on top of a hill, the concept was a perfect fit. After pricing out double and tirpple pane, high performance windows required to get the most out of the design, we quickly realized that such windows were way out of our budget. I then started researching solariums and direct glazing. Why spend money on unnecessary window frames when we had the best kind of frames out there...timberframes
We made a few subtle changes to the prow wall in order to facilitate the IGUs install and placed the order with EcoGlass www.ecoglass.ca a local manufacturer of HP glass units. The windows we priced out earlier... so called "high performance" windows that would require us to sell our future kids and most likely their kids too, were not so HP when compared to Heat Mirror units sold by EcoGlass. The data is available on the website, and the numbers speak for themselves. Dieter, the owner, has a great display in the showroom for those of us who like to touchn' feel before we sign on the dotted line...:)
Fastforward a year and change...
After closing in the house after raising, there wasn't enough time to get the glass in before the snow came last year. I temporarily closed in the prow and peeled back the layers this spring.

hello crazy brace

I cut the pcs for the glass frame over the winter months. Reclaimed, old growth doug fir

first crack at a compound cut piece made to fit another pc which was sitting around unpegged for 6-7 months :o...

one by one we got them all in

The info on the subject is scarce. A couple of books with generic diagrams and local glazing companies running for the hills when approached about the project. With the blessing of our PEng, I kept at it solo.
The "spacers" are a combination of pine and plywood, built up to 1 5/8". With the IGU's @ 1 3/8" and EPDM gaskets compressed to 1/8" per side this should yield a snug fit.

The EPDM gaskets I'm using came from the only place in N/A I could find them @
http://www.conservationtechnology.com/building_glazing.html

The flashing is Al.and is tucked behind the lower support spacer secured with lags.

Water management is important, in case any water ever gets behind the double seal system it has to be able to drain out. I kerfed the spacers to allow for that drainage.

And the finished wall ready for gaskets and glass.

I still have to rip some air dried white oak for capping pcs, apply the gaskets and find enough help to muscle in the 400lb pc of glass into place   ..... stay tuned 

witterbound

thecfarm

Yes,I will stay tuned. WOW what a job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tyb525

What if the structure moves as it dries and ages, is there a chance the glass could crack?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

frwinks

thanks guys..it's a wild vision which I'm trying hard to make into reality... ;D

The dry glaze system was developed to address the movement of green oak structures where there's lots of shrinkage and movement.  By using EPDM gaskets, the glass is free to "float" on the timbers as they dry/check/settle.

Simon from BlackPig Glazing in UK is the pioneer of this system and have been a great deal of help during my project
http://www.blackpig.me/Black_Pig/Generic_Detailing.html

Brad_bb

Interested to see the progress on this and how the surrounding area will be finished.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

frwinks

I've been busy prepping the walls around the glass frame.  I had some 4" polyiso left over from the roof insulation and thought it was a great place for it.   
Instant R20+ and a VB in one ;D

I also used it to wrap the corner prow posts and continued the insulation envelope right up to the glass frame
One solid corner

Brad, here you can see the detail (packing piece on the left, 2x4 on edge and 3.5 of Enerfoil strapped with 1x4 pine).  I'll continue the channel siding right up the edge and trim out after the glass goes in.

I also dug into some clear white oak boards I picked up a few weeks ago.  Such nice stuff to work with I might just have to cut the porch frame out of white oak :D
These are the capping pcs that will hold the glass to the frame.  I will be using SS GRK screws to make sure all stays snug for years to come ;D

Last night I started cutting/fitting the cover boards... after months of using mostly powertools for cutting, routering, nailing,etc.... it's nice to hold a chisel again, even if it's only for this simple joinery 8)

With the weight of the IGU's coming in at 450lbs/pc I decided that the safest way of installing them is going to be via crane.  I booked it for the end of next week....stay tuned ;D

submarinesailor

Make sure you have a charged up camera and someone who can use it. ;D ;D ;D :D

Bruce

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

nas

I think I recognize that oak ;)  Hope it works for you.  I'll have to come visit sometime.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

frwinks

:D thought you would... :D  Thanks again for the hook up Nick, it's really nice stuff work with.  With not much of it growing around my parts, I'm sure I'll be buggin' you for some more down the road.
My door is always open with a few cold ones with your name on them in the icebox ;)

frwinks

quick update...I hauled the crate home from my buddy's shop on Friday.  By lunch Saturday, we had two smallest IGU's in and temporarily capped... 8)

close to 3000lbs of glass, expensive cargo ;D

first layer of EPDM gasket and a corner detail

glass going in

Unfortunately, the bigger pcs were way too heavy to even consider doing them by hand...but this was a good "test run" to familirize myself with the system and make sure everything works as designed ;D

frwinks

it  was a perfect day with predicted rain turning into nothing but sunshine in Southern Ontario 8)  I found a funky attachment at a local glazing supply store (Ontario Glazing Supplies) and I rented it for the weekend.  It's a vacuum lifter made by Wood's Powergrip and man....not only did it take the physical strain off, but also most importantly, the mental stress of installing 450lbs pcs of glass, 20 something feet off the ground...lol  

My tight crew for the day...Thanks again Reid for coming up and spending a day with us....I know you only wanted to see the detailing and got sucked into the madness of the day :D

last piece getting temporary capping on... just in time for late lunch ;D

Cruck prow wall direct glazed with Heat Mirror IGU's

frwinks

The last cover board was installed last weekend 8).  I used GRK's Pheinox stainless screws to secure the white oak boards.  I countersunk all screws, which will be plugged with white oak plugs.  I'm cutting the 200+ plugs using a Veritas snug-plug cutter for face grain plugs ;D

I also put together some clips and pics of the wall glazing day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiiYKT_aGU0

bigshow

wow, thats crazy.

the further along my house gets, the easier solutions I'm looking for LOL.  My next frame is  going to forgo any type of joinery.  From here on out, its going to be all metal plates and metal fasteners! Who else is with me????

I hear that 2x framing is really making a comeback too!
I never try anything, I just do it.

frwinks

spam_
hanging around finehomebuilding forum too much lately?? 

Stu Barnes

Hi There,
I'm planning a very similar project to your own. In Honey Harbour. Are you still on this forum? and if you are, are you willing to perhaps answer a few questions?

Thanks!

Ljohnsaw

A true proof to the fine craftsmanship - you see the reflection of the clouds in the 4 panes of glass and it is continuous over the four - no change in plane.  Even a very little change (fraction of a degree) would show a distorted image.  Very well done! 8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

More proof of any stress could come with new pics after a couple years. They may show some movement in the timber frame "reflecting" in the glass.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Stu Barnes on December 02, 2013, 02:57:36 PM
Hi There,
I'm planning a very similar project to your own. In Honey Harbour. Are you still on this forum? and if you are, are you willing to perhaps answer a few questions?

Thanks!

Stu,

According to his account info fwinks last logged on back in September of this year. Hopefully he's just busy and will return soon...

Herb

frwinks

hey Stu, ask away...  I still visit the forum and I'm still pluggin' away at my masterpiece ;D   still on schedule on my 10year plan :snowball:

bigshow

I never try anything, I just do it.

mesquite buckeye

Love it!

Great job. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Stephen1

I just found this link, beautiful! Do you have any updated pics?
Are you in Halton Hills? I was up there last year sawing reclaimed beams for a TF.
Cheers
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

frwinks

took some time off from the outside world around the Holidays now that we are finally having a decent winter in ON this year :new_year:
A couple of most recent pics in and out.  Thanks for the kind comments! The whole house is performing great, including the glass.  We recorded a .17degC/hr temp drop @ -28degC (-42degC WC)outside temp last week ;D

Thank You Sponsors!