iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live Oak

Started by Bill Gaiche, August 08, 2011, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

A couple of weeks ago while in Baton Rouge, La visiting a friend and we were talking about Live Oaks. She told me that it was against the law to cut a Live Oak if it was registered. I was not aware of this. What do you all know about this? bg

beenthere

Some communities have laws against cutting the majestic liveoak trees registered with a local historical society. Not sure if there are any state or federal laws or registration for liveoak.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I think that in LA there is a restriction on Live Oak in terms of harvesting them or cutting them down. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

You need a permit here if the circumference is greater than 6". Unless the tree is problematic you won't get one.  I have a big live oak whose roots are heaving the slab under a rental. So far no permit has been granted.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DRB

6 inches or 6 feet.  6" circumferance is a pretty small tree 6' is not really that big.

Raider Bill

6" basically a shrub or sapling. We are a Tree City. The local American Legion put an addition on their bldg a few years ago and took out a couple very small oaks. City fined them over $100k.

This is for live oaks and a couple other protected species only.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DRB

Boy that is stupid 6" circumfrance is a under 2" dia that is a sprout not a tree.

Thank You Sponsors!