iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

glucose levels

Started by ely, August 07, 2011, 11:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

wondering if i could get a small disscussion going on glucose and insuline shots and the significance of each.

they keep giving me some insulin from what i think is the shock of surgery keeping me out of whack with sugar levels? at times they come in and check me right after i have a grape juice and its say 154.

other times when i have not eat or drink it will still show 118.  just trying to get my head wrapped around this. thanks for all opinions.

Ianab

Insulin is an enzyme that your body uses to regulate and use glucose in your body. It's produced by the pancreas, and if it's not being produced properly for some reason you end up with your cells not being able to use glucose, you feel tired and the cells chemically call for more glucose, which they still can't use.

This causes all sorts of havoc to your body as the high glucose levels damage fine blood vessels in your extremities and places like your eyes. So you can have circulation issues, leading to ulcers and even gangrene, and may start to loose your sight.

Treatment may be either drugs to stimulate the pancreas to make more insulin, or if that doesn't work, they can inject you with insulin to boost the levels. It's a balancing act as giving you too much can drop the blood glucose level too low, and you pass out, and maybe even die. So that's will why they are constantly testing you, and working out what a stable dose will be for you.

The level is normally high after a meal, or a sweet drink, as your body absorbs the sugar and stores it away for later. But if the level is still high after fasting (they normally test in the morning before you eat), that means there is a problem.

My diabetes is controlled with the tablets at the moment, but that can change over time.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doctorb

Sounds to me like you are  on what is called a "sliding scale" form of treatment.  It for very tight sugar control in stressful situations like after heart surgery.  They give you frequent doses of very short acting insulin, based upon their blood glucose readings.  A very common way to handle things for a short period of time.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

ely

thanks guys, i had a tough time learning about that stuff, all ia well now i guess. as i am home and recuperating well. although watching tv and taking naps is tough to get used to. i feel better each day.

Thank You Sponsors!