iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small yards, big riding mowers? missing something?

Started by jjmk98k, January 12, 2004, 08:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

I (hatefully) live in a suburb of Philiadelphia called Warminster. We have a nice house, nice neighbors but one thing bothers me and I just don't get it.

So many of my neighbors find the need to have HUGE riding mowers for their less than 1/4 acre land? None of them, from what i have seen in knowing them, have any medical reasons for this other than laziness.  I mean they have big mowers, one has a Honda something that has a loud vacuum bagger or something space shuttle-ish attached,  one has a new John Deere and the other a simplicity.

I have one of the largest years on the street, but yet I use a Craftsman push mower for it and soon going to buy a old reel mower ( no engine) to do the in-between mowing and for touch up.

and it's not that i am jealous, I can get one as well, I just can't jusitfiy it.

Does anyone else see this where they live, or is it a "philly status symbol", who has the bigger mower???

but i can always win on my block for having the loudest chainsaw, my old remington mighty mite....

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

beenthere

In this country, they have the 'freedom' to spend their money as they wish. ;D

When they spend their money, it helps the economy.

IMO, there are bigger things to worry about. But hope you continue to enjoy the push mower, as you do. I'm proud of my Deere X485, 25 hp, all-wheel steer w/ 54" deck, and don't worry about my neighbor who is hopefully happy with his Simplicity (happier, I think, when he gets his replacement engine after it blew up when mice unknowingly built a nest in the air cowling around one cylinder head). I mowed his lawn and picked up all his leaves this fall while his was without an engine. Had fun doing him a favor too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jjmk98k

Oh I agree, I could care less how they spend their money, I just don't see the need to have such huge noisy mowers for such a small plod of yard....

But then again, some people can say i am crazy for buying a $1,000 Beretta hunting rifle, when a $300 Savage could do the same thing. Guess it's all what you want, just curious if anyone else sees such overkill (IMHO) in the lawnmower world...

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

rebocardo

What kills me is watching people using leaf blowers. If they just bent down and picked it up with a rake they would be done already :-D

Though I have to say, for snow removal, more is always better!

jjmk98k

Well, I figure since I am a young buck at 29, I still have a good back that can handle it for a few more years... the old "ergonomically designed shovel"

leaves, thats what a mulching mower is for....well...in my world thats what it's for   ::)
Jim

DanG

;D I used to hang around on a gardening forum a bit. One of their message boards was for tractors. What they were really talking about was lawn mowers. ::)  You wouldn't believe how serious those guys were about a cottonpickin' lawn mower!  I'm sure they would have come to fisticuffs over the brand names if they were together in person. Many of them even removed the deck after cutting their 1/4 acre and WAXED the underside of the deck! :D :D
Maybe some of these same dudes live in your neighborhood.
Now I like my lawnmower fine, but it is a tool, and it takes it's lumps along with the rest of my tools.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ianab

We had a real classic TV commercial a few years back..

A guy walks out to his shed, opens it up and drives out flash ride on mower and cuts a strip of grass down the middle of a concrete driveway,about 20 feet. Then he reverses back into the shed, shuts off the mower and grins. The camera zooms back to a wide view and you see the rest of the section has been paved and a voice says "What would you do if you won Lotto?"

It was an advert that was more entertaining than most of the programs  8)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Key word here, "MARKETING". ;D ;D  Ever see the city dude with the BIG Tractor riding it down the steps of the brownstone tenement building, and making 1 pass and then, back up the steps ???  ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Wes

If you really want to show them,put a fiew sheep in your yard. Then you wont even have to work to cut your grass. :D

EZ

Your neighbors sound like the people with the Christmas decorations. One person will have 200,000 lights outside, and his neighbor will have 300,000.
I mow about 6 acres, have one mower that mows 48 inch and the other 42 inch. We mow this much cause it helps keep the copperheads away from the house.
EZ

Ron Wenrich

Well, I don't live too far from you, up close to Harrisburg.  I have about 2 acres that I mow, and I gave up my lawn tractor years ago.  

I've noticed 2 things about most guys and lawn tractors.  One is they don't have enough area to justify that type of machine.  The other is they could really use the exercise.

I use an Exmark walkbehind.  It will cut circles around those tractors and give you a good workout.

I'm amazed at all the conveniences that people want to get shackled to.  I can understand the need for some of those things, but the average guy just doesn't need it.

The other thing I wonder about is why do they have sidewalks?  I can't remember the last time I've seen anyone walk on a sidewalk.  Most times, people drive to where they want to go, even if its just a block or two away.

And they wonder why we have a fat society.  It ain't fat, its lazy.

Just out of curiousity, its been downright cold the past few days, even in Philly.  You guys ain't mowing your grass now, are you?   :D  Seems like more of a summer topic.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

karl

"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Stan

Tractor envy, I'll bet.  ;) If they had any acreage they'd have 30 hp John Deere compact tractors.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Ed_K

I my area there is a lot of lawn & land scape business's poping up. Seem most folks would rather sat on the patio, and watch someone else mow their lawns  ;D. Some are nice to watch too  ;).
Ed K

jjmk98k

I agree a summer topic and it has been on my mind ever since this past summer. We just bought this house and all summer long I was amazed at just how many folks had riding mowers with such small plots land.

Heck no, I am NOT mowing grass in this weather, but since I am a new member and finally have found a "forum" in which to ask the things that have made me go "hummm" for the last few months, I figured I might as well ask.

I swear I have to remind the misses monthly, It would appear that we are the only family on the street who's last name is not "Jones"  

CABIN FEVER BIG TIME..... Hell, I already sharpened my lawn mower blade and bought the tune up kit for it.

Jim

woodmills1

Around here when most people buy a house they buy three things.  Washer, dryer, and big axxDanG riding lawn mower.  Me I hate grass, love what it looks like but hate cutting it.  I use the brush hog behind the tractor to flesh it out then Kathy mows with a 20 inch 20 buck used pieco o never mind or I get the old walk behind to run again.  Thank god the new place is kinda shady.  Tree shade that is. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Duane_Moore

:) :) :)looks like a good place to post. yes we a mowing here.mow year around. about 1 time a week. 2 in summer. 5 acres. all irrigated. have two riders. 42" one for me one for wife, mine gets more use then hers, pull a 25 gal sprayer, lawn sweeper, trailor, whatever, keep it busy, have wore them out in 3 yrs, time to replace, we mow about 7hr per week,per machine, am thinking about going to a 0 clerance mower of 28hp, this would save us many hrs on our yard work, we are now 60yrs old and getting tired of all the work, we love a manicured lawn,  clean the pool, trim the roses (106) of them,cut the Ivy, on on on, trim the trees,  oh well. part of life. and lovin it. :D :D :D  Duh ---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Haytrader

What slays me is seeing a lady mowing her small lawn with a new rider and after that come walkin by here with head phones on, fist clinched, and takeing big fast steps. In other words, out getting exercise.

8)  8)  8)

P.S.  I have a Jazee 0 turning radius. 48".....27HP...w/cup holder.

;D  ;D  ;D
Haytrader

Norm

I mow two yards, the one at the office is about 3 acres and the one at home is about 7. I use the 7' brush mower on the tractor for home (except the front yard and everywhere I can't get the tractor) and the rider for everything else. This time of year I'd give anything to see some green grass. Me I could care less what the neighbors do, except for the neighbor at work that mows his which makes me mow mine. :D

Cupholder huh, how do you keep the beer in it when your whipping around on that zero turn bat out of he$$ mower? :D

JD 455 AWS diesel with 60" deck, oh yeah we be mowing. ;D

OneWithWood

I used to mow about 7 acres, three around the house and four around the walnut site.  Use a John Deere 670 with 60" belly mower and adjustable cup holder.
Got wise and started mowing only the paths where we actually walk and occasionlally between the walnuts I actually got planted.  Cut the mowing down to maybe two acres.

As for those mega mowers with the mini yards - I would bet these same promotors of the economy have at least one SUV parked in the garage.  Got to have an SUV for all that urban driving
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jjmk98k

Yup, they all have either a SUV, a mini-van or BOTH!  

I do have a Chevy Blazer, but it actually sees mud during hunting season, canoe hauling in the summer,  I haul firewood in it, bagged mulch, bagged gravel.... I believe in using it for UTILITY, not just sport.  

when it snows here and everyone is afraid to go out, well...thats when i hit the roads for a little fun. I lived in Fairbanks Alaska for a few years and know a little something about foul weather driving..... just need a little fun.....err... refresher driving once in a while.   :D

I hate the city driving and poor MPG with it, but when i get out and away to the mud / gravel roads, it's right at home, just like me.

I also split all my wood by hand, no hyd splitter here. spending summers at my grandfathers farm tought me that a honest days work never killed anyone.... and we always did some 'cuttin and splittin all summer long.

Jim
Jim

redpowerd

i made DanG SURE when i cleared the woods for my yard i could run our 12' diskbine across every inch of it. anyone with a diskbine and fresh knives can vouch they cut nicer than many suburban riders. i got 7 acers and it takes about 10 min.
thats all the yardwork ill have for the rest of my life ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Haytrader

Beer?
I thought those cup holders were for iced tea, Pepsi, and such.

;D  ;D  ;D
Haytrader

Norm

Did I say beer :o  well I meant mountain dew of course.

I don't know how you guys that have the zero turn mowers stand it. I have the all wheel steer on mine and after going around the twenty or so blue spruces at my place my head is spinning. With a zero turn I'd need a seat belt. :D

sawyerkirk

Is it really much different than buying a Woodmizer LT40 Super Hydraulic just cause you might saw a few logs every now and then? I have an LT25, that I have made a good living with for many years now, and am quite happy with it. We have about 3 acres of yard/house/pasture If it were up to me, I'd pasture the whole thing in and let the calves eat it.

Thank You Sponsors!