iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fireplace with two blowers or insert?

Started by ELECT6845, August 07, 2011, 10:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELECT6845

I have a small insert we installed about 2 years ago. Recently the wife and i have been discussing it and we both think the house stayed warmer without the insert and just using the fireplace. The fireplace is located in the living room of the house and has a huge limestone wall surronding it. In the wall are two blowers that circulate the warm air thru-out the house. My question is which one you think is more effecient? The insert is small and only holds about 3-4 small logs so we are always filling it up. The fireplace is huge and will hold 6-8 18" logs. Any thoughts or comments?

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. Interesting question.

Would you detail a bit more about what the two setups were/are that you are comparing?

On the surface, sounds similar to a cabin setup we had before and after putting in an insert.

The fireplace had built-in plenums on each side with a gravity flow intake at the bottom and outlet above and just below the hearth. We first installed small fans in each vertical plenum to move more warm air.

Later we installed an insert that was airtight and improved the efficiency of available heat from the firewood by 50-100%.

Is this anything similar to what you have done?  The fireplace was the only heat in the 3 bedroom cabin (only occupied May - October in northern WI )

But you should go with what feels the best, as nothing beats the warmth and glow of a large fireplace with a good fire going. :)  Boxing up the fire takes away much of that feeling.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Holmes

Overall fireplaces are a negative heating value. They suck more warm air out of the house than they give off.  Stick with your insert but if you do want to use the fireplace you could add an air tight door to it and bring in an air intake inside the firebox. We went to Old Sturbridge Village this year and asked how much warmer the big fireplaces kept the cabins. 10 to 15 degrees warmer than outside was the answer. brrrrrrr   ;D   Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!