iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about a kiln

Started by Hale87, August 07, 2011, 08:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

Thinking about purchasing a L200 kiln from Nyle.
They are telling me construction of the chamber would be around 8k? Seems to me that the hardboard insulation would be the most expensive purchase? So I got to looking around the sale pages for insulation and found 4 X 4 sheets of 3" hardboard insulation from a local individual for 2 bucks a sheet. No penetrations, supposedly very clean used insulation. It should be the polyisocyanurate that they recommend, only thing is it has no vaper barrier. What are your thoughts on this? I could insulate the entire chamber 6" thick with somewhere around a 36 to 40 range r-value for about 250 bucks.
I've spent an hour trying to find photos on here of someone's chamber construction and have come up empty. If you would share your ideas about construction and if there are any photos in your gallery.

Thanks......
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

red oaks lumber

the best way might not be the cheapest way :) depends on your winter conditions(cold).i used 2x6 walls with friction fit insulation r-25? on the inside walls i put 1 1/2" foil face high density insulation(celetex)r-14? using foil tape i sealed all the seams making it air/ water tight. the ceiling i did the same way but, in additoin i blew  12" celelose on top for a total on the ceiling r-60?. also under the concrete slab i put 2" of high density foam down.
when its -30deg  outside and your trying to heat your kiln to 130 deg. you'll see first hand just how important the construction and efficent your kiln is or isn't.
nyle has been building kilns for a very long time, its probably your first time , take all the advice nyle gives you to heart. your success is their success .
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Larry

Nyle has a plan book.  It cost me $50 but I think they were planing to put it on the web (pdf) for free.

They are also good to work with and will make suggestions on the phone for your climate.  I bought chicken house insulation cheap which was the right kind.  Put 1 1/2" under my slab...that's as far as I got.  Plan on 6" walls/ceiling when I get roundtoit.

I used 4" foam when I built the solar kiln and it worked great in that application.  It was a press fit between the studs than covered with 6 mill poly and finally plywood with mobile home roof paint.

Might check in the for sale on the forum.  Norm had a Nyle kiln there a while back.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Hale87

Thanks for the reply.
Larry, have you done any figurin on expense? They tell me about 8k for the chamber. That seems really high,, unless I'm missing something?
What are you figuring on????
Thanks
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Larry

Quote from: Hale87 on August 08, 2011, 06:28:59 PM
What are you figuring on????

Far too much thinking for me...but lets see.  So far I got about 3 yards of concrete in it.  Put in maybe 15 sticks of #4 rebar.  4" of base rock.  The rebar and rock was already here and can't remember what I paid for that part.  Concrete runs bout $100/yard so $300 there.  Think I gave around $250 for the insulation.  I've built the trusses out of scrap osb, and home sawed lumber so not much cost there.  Got studs sawed and again not much cost.  I saved back some plywood from building the house for the fan mounts...I guess maybe $20 there.  Traded some sawing to get the power trench dug.  Conduit, wire, fused disconnect, and breaker adds another $200.

Still need roofing and siding.  Probably use metal just to match the rest of the compound here.  Maybe $500 on that.  Need structural metal for kiln cart, wheels, and track so another $400.  Plywood, paint, and hardware for the interior maybe another $500. 

And a bunch of stuff I've probably overlooked or miscalculated.  I should be able to do it for $3,000.  And tell the tax lady it cost $20,000 for the depreciation schedule. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Hale87

Your approach sounds about like mine. The only reason I ask is,,,,, I wonder if I'm missing something? When they say 8k for a 12 X 20 building, that's a lot of materials. I can buy 3 common poplar up the road for .25 a foot so I'm not going to waste my time cutting my own stuff. After the insulation, what do you think would be the next most expensive purchase?
Thanks for your input.

red oaks lumber

take nyles reccommendations figure out your costs, the total is what it is. :P
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

OneWithWood

Hale87, buried int his thread are photos of the construction of my chamber for a similar kiln.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,1400.0.html
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!