iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gafner Iron Mule 5510

Started by rwk5510, August 06, 2011, 05:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwk5510

recently purchased 5510. Does the hydraulic oil run through and lubricate the manual transmission as well or are these separate reservoirs? where do I drain the hydraulic oil from--the transmission plug or some other drain plug? I believe the transmission is an 8x4 syncromesh. The machine is a 1988 model. Thanks.

treefarm

Hi rwk5510-You have probably already searched the web and found this, but if not, on a couple of different forums are posts by some people who sound familiar with them. It may be worth putting posts there or trying to contact them directly. The second link, 3rd post, mentions someone that has a lot of knowledge and a phone number, but the post is 10 years old. Good luck!

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?12720-Pulpwood-Logging-Equipment-Old-School-Style
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ford&th=17222%3E
Treefarm

snowstorm

gafner was bought by valmet. in the 80's maybe. gafner was discontinued and valmet made there woodstar series in gladstone mi. when they shifted all production to sedwen late 90's or so a few k2 fowarders were built. looked like a valmet 644 ...646 they stoped building. now a pumar from norco is being built that also looks somewhat like a 646 valmet

jd540b

I bought a 5510 myself, this spring.  Not sure the year of mine, but it has a hydraulic resevoir under where your left foot is when your driving it, and it has a trans/front diff. dipstick and fill behind the cab on the right side of the machine.  I got an operators and parts manual from Roland Machine in Escanaba, MN or MI can't recall.  Google them and you'll get their contact info.  Hope it helps-I've had pretty god luck with mine so far.....like it.

jd540b

Was actually Roland Equipment............I may be slow, but I sure am stupid......

quietrangr

On my 5000 with stick trans, I have a dipstick on top the trans down by my feet, a front diff dipstick on the driver side (you know what I mean) of the front diff, straight below the seat. The rear diff checks with a plug like a conventional diff. The hydraulic tank was behind the seat I think before I moved it. To drain you would take out the low end pipe or hose. I have two valves, one at the tank, and one beneath the floorboard to shut off and make draining a little less messy.

Thank You Sponsors!