iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky "XP" family performance style the same?

Started by Bobcat_pa, January 12, 2004, 05:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobcat_pa

I am curious if the Husky "XP" family of chain saws all have the same performance characteristic/style.  For example, most of the folks on this forum know the 346xp needs to be run a high rpm's to get HP, and does not perform well in the lower rpm range.   Now that I have a 346xp, I can certainly confirm this.   Is this true of the entire XP product line ?    bob

SasquatchMan

I think the xp saws all have different pistons than the regular series huskies, and I think they operate at higher rpm.  I'm not sure if this is true of the 372, but I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

IndyIan

I have a 372 and it does like to rev!  It does have a bit of torque being 70cc's but it has most of its hp at high rpms.  I think the bigger XP saws operate at lower rpm's though and not so peaky with their power.

Also a big difference is that the XP line has very little flywheel weight.  The saws rev up and down quick!  Great for limbing and cutting firewood.  You tickle the trigger and its ready to cut. :)  

Ian

CWS

bob,
My 372, 357, and 346 all like to live at higher rpm, I know that my 440 is better suited to some jobs, but I prefer the speed of the XP's. Just used to the way they cut, they kind of force me to be better about chain maintenance and technique. I'm a weekender, so I have less time on my saws, and less time to work, so the speed is important. All three are modded also.
Dozerdan is working on my 440, I can't wait to get it back!

Scott

Oregon_Rob

That's one heck of a lineup for a weekend sawyer! :o
Quotebob,
My 372, 357, and 346 all like to live at higher rpm, I know that my 440 is better suited to some jobs, but I prefer the speed of the XP's. Just used to the way they cut, they kind of force me to be better about chain maintenance and technique. I'm a weekender, so I have less time on my saws, and less time to work, so the speed is important. All three are modded also.
Dozerdan is working on my 440, I can't wait to get it back!

Scott
Chainsaw Nerd

CWS

Rob,
It's worse than that, I also have a 2171 that Dennis modded, it's a great saw, and a 651 Solo by Ken Dunn. I know it seem like overkill, but I'm on about a hundred acres that constantly need attention. Always work to do, everything from 60" cottonwoods to 5" box elders. Never a dull chain moment. ;D
I'm pretty much addicted, I'd have another 10 if the wife didn't already think I was insane!!

Scott

Stan

Just explain how they are like golf clubs, each one has a different use. That worked wen I was acquirin' fishin' rods and reels, while my wife was playin' golf.  ;)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Oregon_Rob

I just don't see how your life could be complete without a 088 or 3120 :D

Rock on,

Rob

QuoteRob,
It's worse than that, I also have a 2171 that Dennis modded, it's a great saw, and a 651 Solo by Ken Dunn. I know it seem like overkill, but I'm on about a hundred acres that constantly need attention. Always work to do, everything from 60" cottonwoods to 5" box elders. Never a dull chain moment. ;D
I'm pretty much addicted, I'd have another 10 if the wife didn't already think I was insane!!

Scott
Chainsaw Nerd

CWS

You're right Rob, I would like either, but will probably look for a 385 sometime this year.
Stan, I have tried to explain the "right tool for the job" deal to the wife, she just shakes her head. I have the same problem with fishing equipment also!
All the XP saws up to the 395 are at least 13000 rpm, no load, that would say to me that most of the same rules apply when it comes to maintenance and operation.

Scott

oldsaw-addict

Hey, you want some extra hands on that 100 acres of land?  :D I think if your wife doesnt understand why a person has to have so many saws she probably doent see things the same way us guys do. but you may see things a bit differently on your end. My reason for so many saws is that I need to have small throw away saws for backup and BIG pro saws for primary use. as has been stated before though, each and every saw has a different use for me, I mean you just dont take a little 40 cc saw to do a 70CC job and you dont need to have a 20" bar to cut a 5" tree so I have many differing size saws for all my daily use, and I get a good deal of use out of them. The husky XP series saws though I think are different from most saws because they have piston porting, finely balanced crankshafts, lightweight flywheels and some other things that I cant think of right now. All of these differences make for faster accelleration, higher max rpms+HP and lower weight. I'll be very busy for the next few days or weeks so try not to distract me too much, just kidding distract away, but dont get me screwed up.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

tony_marks

well i found my best stay power at about 13800 for my pp 372 also done by dan.. did i miss it .. i think the chain on it was new and the rakers hadnt been touched... that was in cured hardwood about 16 inches wi 20 inch bar,, tho..
 it aint all that important .. but i am gunning for a local boy here ,,soon as my back straitens up.. :)

dozerdan

CWS
 I finished up your slow 440. Like all the saws that I build its also slow. LOL
 In all honesty, that 2171 you have will have its hands full. It may just get a whooping. This saw came to life.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

CWS

Hi Dan,

Wahoooo! I hope it's as slow as all the 372's and 346's you've built for everyone!!! ;) Looking forward to giving it a workout, ohhhhhhh the anticipation!

Thanks again Dan!

Thank You Sponsors!