iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw dust coming out of a Maple

Started by bendjoseph, August 05, 2011, 01:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendjoseph

I have a large Maple behind my barn.  About half way up there is a rotton area, with saw dust falling out.  It is starting to build up on the ground at the base of the tree.  Is this termites?

Texas Ranger

Probably not, most likely beetles or carpenter ants.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

bendjoseph

beenthere

Sooner or later....any danger of it dropping on its own and hitting the barn?
Any pics? (we like pics :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bendjoseph

I have not firgured out how to add pics yet.

Phorester

Quote from: bendjoseph on August 05, 2011, 06:25:14 PM
Should I dop the tree?

This is a weak spot in the tree and will be the first place it will break in a strong wind.  If it would hit anything of value if it fell, you might want to take it down yourself so it will fall where you want it to.

clww

The Maple trees around here are notoriously weak when it comes to storms/wind. Most I've encountered in resedential real estate have shallow roots, so if there's a large storm, with the associated heavy rainfall, the soil weakens and allows them to topple easily when the winds hit them. I had a huge (52" DBH) tree of mine that was perfectly healthy and solid blow over during hurricane Isabel here in 2003. Shallow roots widely spread out all over my back yard but couldn't handle the high winds.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

zopi

I got to cut a maple out of my studio trailer last year...same deal...if it can hit anything...drop it..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

estiers

When you take the tree down, make sure you do a thourough inspection.  I am probably just over sensitive, due to the nature of my job, but sawdust coming out of a maple could be an indication of an exotic beetle infestation.  If you find anything, contact your local extention office.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

bendjoseph

It is coming out of a wound about a third of the way up the tree.  The wound is about five feet long and the tree is growing over it.

bull

Shhhhhhhhh !!!!!  The ALB police will be on their way, your to close to Worcester MA now there will be a southern expansion of the ZONE !!!

Jeff

I sure hope you are kidding.  It sure would be very poor stewardship and a sad state of mind for one to know about an infestation of some sort that is attacking our forests, and then try to hide it for one reason or another from the very entities that have the continued health of all our forests as their mandate.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

You guys must be talking soft maples. In all the years I've lived here I've never seen a fence row or lawn grown sugar maple topple in a wind unless it was rotten at the base. There are yard after yard around here with sugar maple that are half dead from the top down that stand for years, usually have to be cut down to bring to the ground. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

Yeah...most of these are silver king, or red maple...the biggest part of my firewood pile is soft maple...at least it splits easy, and the soft crackle of the beetles dying is nice...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bull

Jeff, Just kidding !! They are very busy in this area and the zone is continuing to expand, my town will probably be next !!

Jeff

Whew,  I thought so, but sometimes our attempts at humor go over the heads of others.  I was alerted to this topic and the post by someone concerned, and when I read it for myself, I couldn't be sure without asking. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!