iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl "Flippy Cap" safety recall

Started by John Mc, August 03, 2011, 09:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I just saw where Stihl has a safety recall out on some of their toolless gas caps (aka "flippy caps"). It seems the ethanol in most fuel these days is distorting the caps, causing fuel leaks or difficulty installing them properly.

Here's an excerpt from some of the text:
QuoteTHIS RECALL IS FOR SAFETY REASONS!
Specifically, the levels of ethanol, aromatics or other additives in some gasoline sold in the United States may distort parts of the fuel cap, which could make caps more difficult to install and/or remove. If a fuel cap is not properly installed and fuel spillage results, there is a risk of fire if an ignition source is present, which could result in a burn injury to the consumer. STIHL Incorporated has received no reports of injuries at this time.

Here's the link to the full document:
http://www.stihlusa.com/recalls/recall_toolless_cap/

The full text includes info on how to identify the problem caps, as well as affected models and serial numbers. I didn't see any chainsaws on the list, but there are pole saws, brush saws, and clearing saws.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

On that ,Baileys according to what I heard has been working on an alternative for the Stihl flippy which is easier to use .

The last Greg Grande commented on same they were working out the design and possible legal ramifications requarding marketing .

Kind of funny because on like a 200T they are around 8 bucks at a dealer and some yahoos try to get 12 out of them for a used one on fleabay plus shipping . :D

WoodHacker

No chainsaw models included but I've had trouble with a few becoming nearly impossible to open.  Have even broken a flippy cap trying to twist it open!  And the brand new replacement worked perfectly for about 3 months only.
Butch

Cut4fun

One word, Ethanol.

I have seen guys new little poulans swell the caps so bad you cant screw them in and out without pliers. Buy new your good for about 6 months till the swelling wins again.

High tech flippy caps  :D :D give me the 100 year old proven fuel and oil caps. No recalls on them yet is there?

Bernhard

We don´t have a recall for this´caps here in Germany. We use them only on the 181...and my guess is, they are a pain in the...you know what I mean...to close.

They reason, Stihl is doing these recalls is cause of the high amount of bucks, they have to pay, if someone is hurt.

ely

recall or not, they are substandard on an otherwise great saw.

beenthere

And I have absolutely no problem with the caps. I prefer them to the old screw-in plug type.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

I have no problems with them either. My FS130 has one and I have had no issues with the old one, or the new one.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

sawguy21

I hate the DanG things. Dumped gas or chain oil on my pant leg more than once and some are near impossible to install.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Red 93 L1 #3383

My MS310 has them and I love them.  I have a couple 064's and if you don't tighten the bar oil caps with the screw driver they vibrate out.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

ellmoe

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 13, 2011, 11:00:44 PM
I hate the DanG things. Dumped gas or chain oil on my pant leg more than once and some are near impossible to install.

Me too! I doubt if I'll ever buy another new Stihl as long as they have those caps. For info I've bought more than 10 Stihls in the last ten years.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Mooseherder

My MS 280 started right up after having sat idle for a full year. :)
The fuel cap tether no longer holds the flippy cap though.  The end of the line looks like it is all burnt up. 

roman

I just bought a 029, have gun a few gallons through it. I like the flippys but time will tell.

roostersgt

Have flippy caps on my 290 and no problems, but on my ms260 they're a big problem. They don't like to go back on all the way. Really probelmatic.
Stihl MS 170 14"
Stihl MS 260 Pro 16"
Stihl 028 Super 16"
Stihl 028 AV 16"
Stihl 028 AV 16"
Stihl 029 18"
Stihl MS 290 20"
Stihl 036 Pro 25"
Homelite Super 2 (mint)
Remmington 10" Tele Pole Saw
Troybuilt / Honda 27ton Logsplitter

Stihl Team Six - Sacramento Unit