iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My 2011 pigroast adventure (now with the pictures)

Started by Dan_Shade, August 02, 2011, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I left my place on Saturday heading to my folks place with my slobbery mutt in the passenger seat, and my streetglide in a borrowed trailer.

Left the dog at my parents in Inwood, WV, and proceeded to start my ride-a-bout to the pigroast.

Yesterday I logged 315 miles of curvy mountain roads, my first stop was Blackwater falls, then Seneca Rocks.  After that, I followed my nose to Petersburg, WV, and then to Franklin, WV.  I rode 220 south to Covington, Va, and did some sight seeing this morning.  then I rode back up 220 and across 39 to summersville, WV and down 19 to the New River Gorge.  Then across 60 to Charleston.  I start my way north tomorrow, catch up with my brother near Ann Arbor, then to Harrison.

Pics to come, too hard to upload from a cell phone.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Sounds like you are enjoying the ride-a-bout!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Normally I would make a comment on the trailer part :D BUT, I'm flying not riding to the Pig Roast so I'll just keep my mouth shut ;) :D :D

That whole area you are riding is beautiful! New River Gorge is pretty impressive. I went there one year when they were bungee jumping off the bridge. Long way down.....
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandhills

Ya, it's not the fall that gets you though, it's the sudden stop at the end, gotta work on that landing!  Hope you have a great ride Dan!

Dan_Shade

I didn't want to trailer it at all, but the  dog is too big to ride on the gas tank.

I rode 315 miles on Monday, around 250 yesterday, and will have close to 375 today.

Note:  Ohio is a bunch of boring

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Raider Bill

Need a smaller dog :D

I have a friend in Rootstown Ohio. Stop in and see him. It won't be boring I promise.  ;)

Ohio reminds me of Iowa actually.

Ga_Boy

Dan,

Hope you enjoy your trip.  Safe journey.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Mooseherder

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 03, 2011, 02:14:08 PM

I have a friend in Rootstown Ohio. Stop in and see him. It won't be boring I promise.  ;)

Too bad he isn't passing through Buffalo.  ;D

isawlogs

Oh ya    Buffalo !!!!   :D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Coon

Sounds like you're far enough from "Sasquatchland".... I was gonna just warn you about some of the things that go "Bump" in the night but I don't think you'll need to worry about that.   :D  Wouldn't imagine that you're riding at night anyhow.  ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Hey, even I've been to the New River near Radford, Va. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

submarinesailor

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 04, 2011, 05:14:54 AM
Hey, even I've been to the New River near Radford, Va. ;D

Me too.  Had 2 daughters graduate from Virginia Tech which is right over the hill from there.

Bruce

SwampDonkey

Been there to.  8)

We have a member on here from Blacksburgh.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

We have been there also, but we drove, not rode.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I can say with certainty that Dan Shade made it to the Pig Roast :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

And I can say with certainty that I enjoyed meeting and talking with him.  We even carved Pig together.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

I just crossed the mackinac bridge into the UP.

The pigroast was a blast.

Dan_Shade

I went to the shipwreck museum at whitefish point, and then checked out the lower, then upper Tahquamenan Falls (I have no idea if I spelled that correctly).

It's nice up here.

Dan_Shade

I've been pounding over some pavement (literally in some cases).

Yesterday, I left Newberry, MI and headed west on M-28, then took M-77 North to a little town who's name escapes me, then I headed west over H-58 (I think I have the letters/numbers right). This road runs along Painted Rock(s?) Park, I took this at Corley5's suggestion while we were talking on saturday.  this road is an awesome bike road, nice and winding, but not much up and down.  I stopped at 3 more waterfalls, Sable Falls and Dunes, Miner Falls (had to ride back a 1 mile gravel road, then walk .6 miles one way to the fall), and finally Munising Falls.

After I got into Munising, I went west on 41 for a bit, and got the notion that I needed to head south if I were ever to get back home, and besides, I wanted to see the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee, WI.  So I headed south into Wisconsin, made it past Green Bay, and stopped in a town called Manitowbac, I think.  I rode over 400 miles yesterday, and walked a BUNCH at the parks.

This morning, I got up and headed south to Milwaulkee, I wanted to go to a cheese museum in Keil, WI (Hennings), but was distracted by some pretty serious road signs saying local traffic only.  That in itself didn't deter me, but the bad, bad, bad, gravel parts, then the "bridge out" sign, led me to just toss in the towel in the interest of time.

I made it to the HD museum this mornnig, the highlight for me was seeing the very early ones with very rudimentary clutches, and replicas of the bikes from "Easy Rider".

Then I headed south towards Indianapolis, I took sideroads for a bit, but decided to get back on the main drag just in time to hit rush hour in Chicago on I-94 and I-90.  My Oil temp got up to about 260 or so....

I started pounding south again after I got out of chicago, and made it south to Lebanon, Indiana.  I hope to tour the Woodmizer plant tomorrow, and hope to make it to Cedarman's place, after all, indiana isn't that big :-)

After riding approximately 400 miles a day for the past two days, i have no idea how folks can do a 1000 on a bike (or a car for that matter).

SwampDonkey

Those guys/gals doing the 1000 mile gauntlet aren't interested in seeing anything.  ;D ;)

Next time I'm in Saulte, Ontario I plan to visit the bush plane museum, it's on the bank of the St. Mary's River. You can see the building from Saulte, Mi. I've bene passenger to a lot of bush planes in BC. The beaver, and both single and twin engine otters. I remember reading the manufacturers plate inside one single otter I was about to take flight in that said DeHavilon 1947. ;D

Magicman

Dan, you are seeing some beautiful country.   :)  Jake Mooney will take care of you at the WM plant.  I enjoyed my tour.

Reddog

Glad to hear you are a having a good trip.
Dan the key to long distance travel is hydration, comfort and protection from the elements.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on August 10, 2011, 05:07:04 AM
Those guys/gals doing the 1000 mile gauntlet aren't interested in seeing anything.  ;D ;)

Not true, sometimes the trip is getting somewhere on a time table.
Or in the case of the Plains whether it be the US or CA side in the summer, just getting out of that heat zone.

Raider Bill

Riding a 1000 miles a day is someone trying to get somewhere fast. No time to smell the roses. Iron butt riding is when you pull into a gas station and have to circle the parking lot several times shaking the numbness out of your legs in order to be able to put your foot down without falling over....
How you are doing it Dan is the best way. No real plans or time table just mosey along stopping when you feel the itch to see something or just feeling itchy. :D :D :D :D

Dan_Shade

Jake gave me a great tour of the wood-mizer facility, one of the factory guys, Chad, walked us through a complete band making process:  the cutting to length, the engraving, the welding, the deburring, and the flatpack banding.

Look for a top quality band handling video staring Mr. Mooney! 

I'm now in Paoli, getting ready to see if cedarman has any cedar.

WDH

I bet you a beverage that he is in the pink  :D.

Thank You Sponsors!