iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Warped sticker question from newbie

Started by Ronnie, July 30, 2011, 12:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie

I cut a bunch of 1x1 elm stickers and they bowed a bit. Would you still use them as long as the weight from the pile and blocks on top un bowed them or should I chalk it up to learning and try again? I got so many questions I don't even know where to begin asking.

Ronnie the student  :P
TK2000, JD5075, Stihl 660,270,170.

Tom

Sure, use what you have.  They will lay flat when the weight gets on them.  Just make sure that they line up with the sticker below.   You can even use pieces of stickers if you run low. 

LeeB

If your elm stickers only bowed a little bit, you're doing good.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kansas

If they are still green, they should work fine. Depending on the type of elm, a darker elm might be more prone to sticker staining. But if they are dry, I would be a bit leery. Maybe at the bottom of the pile. Side to side won't matter if they bow that way; put the flat side down. But especially if you are air drying, be careful. Going into a kiln green and they will be more likely to flatten out. Air drying doesn't have the humidity to help make them pliable.

I would really look to a different kind of wood in the future for stickers. Basswood, cottonwood, make good stickers with a light color to help stop sticker stain. Poplar might well work too; we don't have that here.

Thank You Sponsors!