iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna fuel tanks...

Started by Coon, July 29, 2011, 11:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

I need to replace the fuel tank on my Husqvarna 365 as I have a major crack in it on the bottom along the seam and it's leaking.  I priced out a new tank at over $100 plus shipping and taxes.  ::)  I was just wondering which other models have the same tanks?   I could probably find a used tank cheaper or possibly a whole parts saw for the price of a new tank but am not sure which models have the same tank. 

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

NCFarmboy

365-371-372 to the best of my knowledge interchange.  Why don't you try repairing it you have nothing to loose except $$$.  Read post about using soldering iron.  Empty tank, clean seam w/carb. or brake cleaner.   Take soldering iron run in the seam about 3/32"-1/8" deep.  It will push up a ridge on each side.  Go down each side working the ridge back into the seam.  Then use a flat tip to smooth.  I just did this on a busted up MS460 cyl. cover it worked great.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

ladylake

Aned then a little plastic epoxy over the seam.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cut4fun

Also 362 362xp have the same tanks.   Try Seal All to fix yours or even JB weld. I have used both.   http://eclecticproducts.com/sealall.htm

Coon

I have not had good luck with JB Weld in the past on anything to do with gas. I have tried to fix several of those Orange plastic jerry cans with it and it initially works but seems to let go after exposed to gasoline for a few days. 

I may try out the soldering iron and epoxy.  Will take a picture of what I am looking at before I do so and post it here to see what you peeps think first.   ;)

Coon

Well I managed to get the tank from my 365 pulled the other day.  I have to find meself a tank I am afraid.  The damage was worse than expected. 

Hope I can find a used tank or complete parts saw cheap.  If not, then I'll order a new one.  :(

T Welsh

coon, don,t feel bad! I just stump ground a 395xp! sitting upright against a fence and went to grind stump after flush cutting it, I thought I was far enough away from it, well I thought wrong, just bumped it slightly and it fell into the running stump grinder wheel. I chewed the gas tank and top cover off it. tank,cover and fuel line from dealer was $225.00 I hate when I teach myself a lesson! Tim

Coon

I don't feel too bad now.   :D   :D  I just don't have the extra cash to put out one one at the moment and I need to start felling some timber.  This 365 is the biggest saw that I got but I guess I am going to have to resort to my Stihl 026 for the time being. 

Going to put an ad out tonight to find a parts saw on kijiji.

T Welsh

Coon, do some research on epoxies and pick one for plastic and try it! the new chemicals they have on the market are pretty good! look at it this way! if you spend $10.00 and find one that works. you have helped us all out. if it doesnt your only out ten bucks and you still helped us out, its already broke, you can not hurt it anymore. Tim

nmurph

I would bet a dollar that can be repaired. You can use a soldering iron to heat and close the seam. If you need some filler material, try string trimmer string. I have repaired tanks like this and they are still holding.

Cut4fun

I bet  Seal All could repair that.  No mixing, just thin coasts and let dry over and over. It's never let me down yet.

Al_Smith

If it's just on the bottom of the handle  then most likely you could use a piece of aluminum on the under side as a kind of a "splint .That plastic can be drilled and tapped just like metal .Use 10-32 counter sunk allen head flat head screws .Make sure the bolts do not protrude through the handle assembley and chew a hole in the saw engine from vibration

I did a fix on a Stihl 038 AV something like that and used it for two years until I found another tank/handle for a reasonable price .I certainly wasn't going to pony up 200 bucks to fix a saw I only paid 45 for ,geeze .

dutchman

NAPA has repair kits for almost car patches, rad, gas tank ,glass, etc.
I've used the rad kit worked fine.
A mechanic carries the gas repair kit in his service truck says
it works.
Good luck.

Coon

I tried epoxy on the lube tank valve on my mill and it worked for all of maybe 20 minutes or so before it peeled off.  So thats out for me....

I have also tried Seal All on various other fuel tanks in the past and have yet to have any success.

I may try the solder gun and trimmer string method but I ain't gonna hold my breath.  Being that the cracks are in a structural place I don't feel that much will hold for long if at all. 

T Welsh

Coon, as soon as you said structural you nailed it!! those tanks do flex while using them.and I saw the pictures that you posted and I know exactly where the anti vibe mounts are and handle screws are and your right I would not trust it. other than a new tank,try your saw shop for a used one or ebay. not the best time to have a saw down! Tim

Coon

I found one used tank for sale but the seller is trying to blow smoke up a ducks a$$ and I told him so.  He wants $85 bucks for just the tank with the throttle lever and everything stripped off it.... not even the fuel cap on it.......   :D  That's more than the price of a complete parts saw.  :D

Paul_H

Without the tank all you have is a parts saw.I'll give you $30 $20 bucks for it(Shipping incl) ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Coon

Nah, Paul H thats not fair you prob have a tank for it on hand.  :D  BTW I have a higher bid on it than $20 already but don't really wanna sell it too badly.... would rather fix and use it.

Paul_H

I'll have a looksee this week and let you know if there is one upstairs at the shop.

Coon

Thanks Paul.  If you do.... let me know how much you'd like for it and maybe we can make a deal on it.   :)

Cut4fun

New oem tanks with throttle cable and trigger only are around 110 retail. I know I bought a shop closing up out of them.  If you are in the great white north I know your parts are even higher new.

sharkey

I recently used a new 2 part loctite epoxy product called 'plastic repair' to fix a different tank.  Everything came out well, but man the stuff stinks to high heaven.  If you have ever had a cap put on a tooth in a Dentists office, I think this is the same stuff.  You will remember instantly once you smell it.  I couldnt stand mixing it or even working with it inside.  Dries a light yellow translucent.  15 minute working time once mixed, fully cured overnight. 

If you decide to try it, rough up the plastic with heavy sandpaper where you want it to stick.  Then go over it with rubbing alcohol on a rag right before you put the epoxy on.  Plastic gas tanks are polypropylene which means they give up a little of the oil that theyre made from when sitting in the sun.  This is why they will turn different shades of color or sometime chalk.  These are the toughest tanks to fix.  This tank is still holding and its been a month so maybe I got it?

Coon

I have decided not to fix the tank as where the main damage is in a structural area.  I would just as soon put a new or good used tank on it so I don't have to worry about it anymore.  Still waiting to hear back from Paul H... 

Paul_H

Nothing here Coon.I went digging through the boxes upstairs yesterday.I'll keep an eye out anyways.

Coon

Thanks for looking...  Thiking I will just end up ordering a new tank...  I reaaly need the saw working.

Coon

Well.... I had a bit of time and being short on cash, I decided to give it a shot at fixing the fuel tank...  I will take some pics of the finished results later.  ;D  In my eyes it's looking like it is gonna work out for me.  I have already fixed the area where my main problem is and put a little gas in the tank to see if it worked or not.  I did still have a small bit of weeping through the seam of the tank but the repaired area showed no leakage.  Just waiting now for the fumes in the tank to evaporate somewhat so I can finish the repair. 

I am using one of the suggested repairs mentioned earlier in this thread. You'll just have to wait and see which one it is.  ;)   ;D  Right now I gotta finish getting this rearend out of the easychair.   :D

Coon

Pictures are coming....later.  ;D  I just came in the house to look at my maual, on the computer,  for the saw.  In putting this thing back together I realized I may be missing something. dunno.... Can't seem to find what I am looking for in the manual. 

The problem....  If you look at the very first picture of the tank you can see a round area just ahead of where the handle bolts on.  Is there supposed to be a rubber insert or something in there.  There is a hole in the main housing where a bolt should mate up to this rubber plug or whatever.  Without this the tank just kinda flops around fromwhat I can see.  I need a new anti-vib spring that bolts to the handle so it's kinda hard to tell how much play there will be.  Anyhow there was no rubber plug or bushing of any kind there when I tore the saw down so I don't know.....

T Welsh

Coon, I just looked at the parts break down for a 365 and yes there is a AV mount and AV spring that goes there and below where the carb sit,s

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=husqvarna&mn=365+Special+%282003-11%29&dn=22770019

I dont know the year of your saw so I picked this one, but they should be very similar. Tim

Coon

I have taht same diagram.  If you look it is the opposite side of the tank they are showing where I am having my dilema.  It is in the area of that diagram where the little piece sticks outon the back side of the tank.

The spot in question is directly to the right of where the handle bolts on. I can see sawdust in the indent. 

I will go out and take a couple new pics to better show what I mean.  ;)  The only anti-vib mounts that go on that side is way up on the handle and attaches to the cylinder and the other one is at the front of the tank. 

Coon

Inthis first pic you can see the hole in the saw housing.  It is a threaded hole.

In this pic you can see the round indent to the right of the handle mounting holes.  This indent is directly behind the threaded hole in the housing.  What I am wondering is if there is supposed to be a rubber bushing or a mount of some kind in there?

Coon

I almost forgot to add the pics of the repair job.  ;)  It surely ain't none to pretty but, mehh if you don't like the looks of it don't look at it.  :D 

Top side

Bottom Side

Here is what I did... I used carb cleaner to clean off the tank thoroughly.  I used a solder gun with a normal soldering tip to melt the tank plastic enough to close up the crack and create a bit of a V to hold some filler.  I used some Weed Wacker line and melted it enough that it would stick into the V I had melted in the tank.  Now keep in mind the melting point of the tank and weed wacker line are different from each other. Once I had the line stuck to the tank I changed tips in the soldering gun and put a flat smoothing tip on.   I went back to smoothing it out and getting as good of a bond as I could.  I actually patched the leak up and when I found that the seam was leaking fuirther back I had to go back and clean and add some more material.  Heck now I have a cross breed saw cuz I think it's trying to turn into a John Deere.   :D  :D

T Welsh

Coon, I see what you mean. the parts break down does not show that side,but I think it is a vibe mount rubber block that is held in place by a screw. you can see the indent on the tank where it goes! Husky does this a lot and they get lost is space over the years of use and vibration. we have 2 saw,s right now that need a bunch of them. take it to your dealer,he will be able to find you one. good job on the tank repair! let us know how it holds up. Tim

Cut4fun

No rubber there in that hole. There should be a bolt that goes through the metal crankcase to the plastic tank area (bolt part that extends through goes into the tank area will be smooth and used as a stop.

T Welsh

Cut4fun, Thanks for clearing up the missing screw thing up for Coon. I am a Stilh man myself,but have ripped into many huskies,they like to put little rubber mounts and vibe bushings in the strangest places ;D. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!