What is Rust Reaper doing?

Started by Brad_bb, July 29, 2011, 09:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I like the product and think it could be successful on a larger scale.  What is RR doing to get distribution?  I mean if people tried this stuff, it would sell.  Make a display pack to sell to hardware stores like Ace, Gander mountain, Bass Pro, Farm and Fleet, Big R....  I can envision the pack next to the Register.  The employee opens the box, breaks open the cover and there are dozens of the small applicator bottles standing on end in a little display.  In the rear are half a dozen refill bottles.

What's RR distribution problem?  Do you have penetration anywhere?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jeff

All I can say right now is  "Stay tuned".  As it turns out, your thread is very topical but you'll have to wait until the pigroast to learn some big news.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brad_bb

I'm sure you are finding out about bar codes and sensormatic tags.  One bit of advice I'd offer (I have 15 years experience in new product development/engineering), is to improve your labels.  I bought RR about a year to year an a half ago, and the labels were not water proof.  They have absorbed water from the hands etc, and have absorbed it and crinkledwrinkled and some spots of the labels have come off.  These were obviously unprotected paper labels.  You need a waterproof label, and one where the label will not release over time, even when they get RR on them.  I would also recommend a flashier color label to grab attention to the product and make it stand out. 
   As I mentioned before, a nicely designed display packaging is also important.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Tam-i-am

brad_bb

Jeff and Red posted about timing because they knew something was in the works and the big announcement was to be made at the pig roast.  Yesterday Mike passed the
Rust Reaper hat off to LogRite.  Rust Reaper will now be made and marketed by LogRite. 

The plan is to color it blue and call it Bluecreeper.  Blue because that is our color and everyone who has used it knows its awesome creeping capabilities.

Thanks for the advice about the labels.  We have found water proof paper labels that won't smudge even when RR spills on them.  We are still considering different packaging options.

Will keep you posted of changes.  For now,  the website and product will look the same.

TamIam
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

beenthere

If there is a supply of the old green small bottles still available, I would send in for a half dozen. I find them good gifts to those who just don't know its power.
Otherwise, I'll wait for the new blue to surface.
:)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tam-i-am

Mike made enough green to keep us going for a bit.  He will come and visit us in Sept to make the first batch of blue.  So I will send you green with the new labels.  Same great product and bottle just a new name and label.

neslrite

Those at the pig roast already got to see what the new logo and packaging will look like.  Here is a picture of a rack that will go into a local NAPA store.

rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Mooseherder

I used some on my Smoker Grill last week to get the door open.  This thing has been outside for 18 years and served us well.  The door was real hard to open past 3 inches at first.  I used RR on the rest of the hinges also. :) There was a whole Brisket on there that stayed on for 12 hours.  It was some good too.  Wish there was a picture of it. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtBmC_6BfRo

Brad_bb

Hate to say it , but I think Rust Reaper is a much better marketing name than BlueCreeper.   Reaper is the image of the Grim Reaper.  Much more powerful, especially if marketed on TV.

Also on that packaging, the Logrite name is prominate and easy to read as opposed to the name of the product.  The label and product name need to be much bolder/flashy!! I want to read the name from 8 ft.  I can't read the product name in that pic.  If this product is on an end cap or at a register, it needs to jump out at the customer.  I think that packaging looks pretty boring.   If Logrite does it right, with the product name number one, generate sales and excitement, they can also then spin it off on it's own, possibly sell the product off to another company at a profit where the new company can go even higher with some commercials or infomercials.

The question is, will Logrite keep it low key and use it to try expand the Logrite name, or devote resources to this as it's own product?  If it's a Logrite building product, I fear it will slowly die off.  It focus is put into it stand alone, I think it can go places as a separate product.

Tam-i-am

Brad

thanks for your opinions.

Let me begin by saying we just bought the company.  We are setting up a new website and have not finalized any of our packaging.

About the Logrite logo being bigger than the bluecreeper logo - To get ready for the pig roast and the big announcement I started some packaging ideas.  However, I did not have the logo yet so I used the Logrite logo as a place holder.  When I went to get ready for the pic posted above, I must have grabbed the wrong file and didn't notice until I posted the pic.  But since it was late and only going to the FF to show our progress I figured it would be okay that one of the packages said Logrite instead

It is our intention for Bluecreeper to be bigger than Logrite.  Even bigger than WD-40. Which is why we changed the name.  We felt Rust Reaper limited the product.  It does so much more than loosen rusty parts or prevent rust!!!!!  We chose bluecreeper because our color is blue and because of Rust Reaper's ability to creep in!

Reddog

Brad,

Give Logrite a little time. They have just purchased Blue Creeper, and have been nice enough to keep the FF informed of their purchase and changes.
Looking at Logrite's past purchases and marketing I am sure they have a good handle on where to take Blue Creeper to increase their market share.  :)

Brad_bb

Oh I understand, just getting it out there early.  I actually think it can do better than those messy spray products, but one thing to be prepared for, is someone copying the applicators.  That's why I think It's almost necessary to come out fast and hard, like an infomercial.  "Anthony Sullivan here!  for the amazing BlueCreeper!"  Got a feeling Anthony would like the Rust Reaper name better due to the imagery.   Just think of what you could do commercial-wise with the grim reaper.

Reddog

Quote from: Brad_bb on August 17, 2011, 04:25:14 PM
but one thing to be prepared for, is someone copying the applicators. 

Those applicators are nothing new in the commercial lubrication field. You home owners are just not use to seeing them. ;) It's the product in the applicator that sets it apart. :)

As for the name, there are only a very few that will ever notice the change.  :D

Raider Bill

I think Pigman and Swamp Donkey should be the pitchmen. Be like Bartles and James, Penn and Teller. A new household name. ;D ;D

Personally I love the stuff! Just used it yesterday while working on a A/C unit. every screw got a drop. Wish I could inject it into my wrist and shoulder.
Wonder how it works on sciatica :P
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

neslrite

Bill,
Sounds good, how about Pigman and Raider Bill? on second thought that might be over the top , Pigman and Dan Shade now there is a memorable pair!!!

WDH and Cedarman?

Dan_Shade

I'm game :D

I wonder if we could get pigman to talk about it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

I want to be the pitch man for the new line of benches  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

neslrite

Danny,
How would that go? I can see it now you and OWW sitting on a bench solving the worlds problems ;) " LogRite bench's, a good place to chat"

Kevin

WDH

Maybe we can do just that at next year's Pig Roast  8).

SwampDonkey

Working on a thinning crew you hear all kinds of problems and how to solve them. :D :D :D :D

Used some BlueCreaper just yesterday on a throttle. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on August 17, 2011, 08:56:23 PM
Pigman and Swamp Donkey?   :o

Yep one talks one don't.
Quote from: neslrite on August 17, 2011, 09:42:36 PM
Danny,
How would that go? I can see it now you and OWW sitting on a bench solving the worlds problems ;) " LogRite bench's, a good place to chat"

Kevin

That could be a good marketing line. A slight smoke blowing by.....  Is it OWW or Dang you make the call.....

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.