iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fried my Alternator

Started by Magicman, July 28, 2011, 07:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, it was only 13 years old and with over 5600 hours on the second hourmeter.  Who knows how many amps she had put out in her lifetime.   :D

Anyway, it was so hot that I had to wear gloves to take it off.  I carried it by my alternator shop, and he asked "if I wanted it fixed now?"  Sure.  It got a new stator, slip ring assembly, diode assembly, bearings, and pulley all for $137.00.

I'm happy but it won't get put back on the sawmill until we get back home from the Pig Roast.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

guessing by the title of your thread, i was hoping for a good southern recipe for good cooking 8) 8)  ;Dnow go fire up the majmobile and do a slow burn up to the hog roast :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Chuck White

I took mine over to the Auto-Electric shop early last year, before I started sawing in the Spring.

He replaced the bushings and cleaned it up and a good general going-over.

Cost around $45.00-$50.00.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Judging my your topic "Fried my Alternator" I thought the next sentence was gonna be the prayer I said when I was a child....."Now I lay me down to sleep". So I was gonna tell ya not to bury it but to make a lamp out of it or frame it!

Glad you got it fixed Maj. My day will get here sooner or later!

Enjoy the PIG ROAST and tell us a story when you get back!

Drive safe, David

P.S. I love what RedOaksLumber said.....he was hoping for a southern recipe for fried alternator! Now that's funny.....I don't care who you are. LOL.....Oh my side....I'm laughing too hard.....Stop Red Oak....you're killing me......
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SPIKER

I usually rebuild them myself it is pretty easy just have to find the parts.  Alternators and Starters are about a 30 min job to re-build if you dont try & polish them to like new looking condition.   It usually takes longer to get them on/off than to rebuild em.   I just re-built my Honda Passport starter took 3hrs to get the dang thing off 15 min on the bench to re-build it and back on was hr more.   had to pull torsion bar and lots of other things to get the dang thing out stupid design if I ever saw one.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Magicman

I know that I said I wasn't going to reinstall that alternator until after the Pig Roast, but I just could not wait.  This morning found me at the sawmill and bolting on a freshly rebuilt alternator.

She ran like a top and I can now be confidant that when I get back the sawmill will be ready to go.

That will keep my battery charged.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sgschwend

When I read the title I wondered what kind of secret sauce you put on on "alt".  Was kinda let down, but that was a nice picture of a phone company surplus meter.  ;)
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Magicman

Quote from: sgschwend on July 29, 2011, 01:32:23 PM
but that was a nice picture of a phone company surplus meter.  ;) 

Nope, not hardly.  We did not use clamp-on ammeters.   ;D

barbender

I thought it was a good jab, anyhow ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!