iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 372 or 576

Started by lostyooper6, July 28, 2011, 09:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostyooper6

I'm picking up a new saw in about a month or so, I am stuck in the middle between the 372 or the 576.  The 576 has about .3 HP more than the 372.  Outside of that, the overall performance of each saw is nearly identical as far as I can tell, fuel and oil capacity is of no concern to me and the 1lb weight difference doesn't really bug me either.  On a side note, anyone bought one with the heated hand grips?  Thoughts???? 

mad murdock

I bought a 372XP through Bailiey's 5yrs ago, and it is a great saw.  I have cut probably 40 or so truckloads of logs, milled about 3 mbf of boards ,and cut firewood for heating our house for the last 5 years, (5-7 cord a year), and it is running great!  I don't know if there is a big price difference between the 2, the 576 is supposed to be the replacement of the 372XP, either one would probably be a good choice.  Can't go wrong with a swede saw!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lostyooper6

Had a 575, replacing it, what is the max RPM of a 372?  Bailey's site has it listed at 13,500 but the Husky site has it at 9600 RPM ?

Fether Hardwoods

I have heard the 576 is a very fast cutting saw, in fact some loggers around me are going to 576's over 100cc saws, I heard the 576 has what I would call a governer but  thats not what it's called so that when it gets a load it increases RPM to 15,000, which makes it very fast. Now that said I have never seen one run so I don't know personaly.
Hope that helps you.

lostyooper6

Anybody have any accurate source for performance info on these saws.  Performance is ultimately what I am interested in when comparing saws, most features outside of that are of minimal interest to me, all I find is contradictory info. 

thecfarm

Heated handles are the only way to go. I was putting my hands on the exhaust of the tractor to get them warm. Very cheap to get put on when you buy the saw new,or was 6 years ago. Pricey to replace if you break them. I do fine just cutting wood,but when I hook up the chocker chains my hands get wet from the snow and than I'm done for.With my 372 the harder you run the saw the more heat you get. There is a switch to turn them on and off. Add the G and you will be happy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Mc

Quote from: lostyooper6 on July 28, 2011, 03:23:11 PM
...what is the max RPM of a 372?  Bailey's site has it listed at 13,500 but the Husky site has it at 9600 RPM ?

9600 is not the max RPM, it is the "Max power speed". That number is common to many (maybe most or all?) current Husky saws. Bailey's is probably right on the Max RPM.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lostyooper6

What is the longest bar anyone has run with either these saws?  "Reccomended" is 36 inch, anybody tried running a longer one?  99% of the cutting I do a 20" bar suffices just fine, however I'm planning on building a slabbing mill and would like to be able to slab 48" logs, and will attempt to use my new saw as the power for this. 

mad murdock

lostyooper6, if you are doing any serious slabbing, you will want more power, the 576 and 372xp are ok for milling, but if you are going to do any amount of milling/slabbing, especially 48", you will want a 3120.  It is a pretty big jump, but milling with not enough power is an exercise in futility, frustration, pain and anguish, IMO.  If you are going to mill off and on, then you will be ok with the mid-size saw choice, anything more than that, I would go for the HOSS.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lostyooper6

Just hobby slabbing, probably eventually power my slabbing mill with something else (once i figure out a drive system for the bar and chain), if I can get by meantime with the 372 0r 576 I'll be satisfied.  I have a very large and knarly balck walnut in front of my house that is coming down soon and it is going to have some nice material in it. 

mkjones32

I am a home owner with an OWB and I cut over 20 cords of oak and maple this winter with a 576 XP AT w/ 24" bar (trying to get 3 years worth the wood, thus the extreme amount of wood cutting).  I was blown away when I first picked it up as I was using 460 Rancher  w/ 20" bar, worked great bar buried in frozen oak. I like not having to mess with the carburetor.   The chain is easier to change as the rim gear is on the outside of the clutch and it makes lubing the bearing easier also (just remove a c-clip). The original idea was to use the Rancher for limbing, but I cannot put down the 576XP AT.  I just recently purchased a used 395XP (CSM), I am taking it to the saw shop for a carburetor tune up. I put it down after about 5 cuts with a disappointing look on my face.  I believe its running rich for break in purposes or was never setup correctly from the dealer (exhaust smelled rich to me). I know there is no way that the 576 can out cut the 395, but I do believe it cuts bigger than it is due to the auto tuning.  Sorry I haven't had the privilege of running the legendary 372XP or something larger for comparison (tuned properly anyway). I can report back on a better comparison after the 395 is tuned if you like.  Hope this helps.

Kevin

Yoopersaw

The 372XP has a max RPM of 13,500.

lostyooper6

What's the max rpm of the 576?

nmurph

The max RPM is of no importance. The broadness of the torque curve is what matters.

ladylake

Quote from: Fether Hardwoods on July 28, 2011, 07:02:12 PM
I have heard the 576 is a very fast cutting saw, in fact some loggers around me are going to 576's over 100cc saws, I heard the 576 has what I would call a governer but  thats not what it's called so that when it gets a load it increases RPM to 15,000, which makes it very fast. Now that said I have never seen one run so I don't know personaly.
Hope that helps you.

15000 RPM????   Someone has feeded you a lot of bull.  Most saws run 9000 to 9500 RPM under load when they're run right.      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Quote from: nmurph on August 02, 2011, 02:11:14 PM
The max RPM is of no importance. The broadness of the torque curve is what matters.

You got that right , most saws with a real high no load RPM do it at the expense of torque .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

nmurph

Quote from: ladylake on August 02, 2011, 02:57:20 PM
Quote from: nmurph on August 02, 2011, 02:11:14 PM

You got that right , most saws with a real high no load RPM do it at the expense of torque .   Steve

Oh Yeah, I meant to respond to that one as well......15k Rpm in the cut is race saw territory. I don't know of any current stock saws that turn 15k at wide open throttle, unloaded.....

And a 74cc stock saw is anywhere near a 100cc saw in torque. It might stay close in small wood, but when the wood gets to 20"+, the 100cc saw is just going to wave bye-bye if the saw is run right, the chain is sharp, and the rakers are set correctly.

lostyooper6

This post is getting a life of it's own, ultimately the question I want answered is what is the higher performing saw.  The loaded max RPM is near identicle at aprox. 9600, I do not have the torq specs, was hoping someone else could enlighten me as to that, the 576 is a larger bore so I assume it is a higher torque saw but have no specs to back that up. 

HP to HP , Torq to Torq, what saw??? 

All other specs (that I can find) between the two saws from what I have found on the Husky website and Bailey's website is near identicle, close enough, or of no relevance to me (price is close to the same).  Which one is the meaner hog?

nmurph

I have never run a 576. I do have a 372 (ported). I am sure that ultimately the 576 is slightly stronger. The specs indicate so and it's advantage in cc's would point that way also. That said, I would get a 372 bc of the similar power and 1.5lb or so weight advantage.

grassfed

I have a 575XPG that I purchased the first year they came out I also have a 372XP that I purchased about a year and a half ago. It seems that everyone hated the 575 but the only problem that I have had is that the coil went out after a year and my dealer replaced it for free. It is, in my opinion, a better saw than the 372...hey folks I have used these saws side by side for years felling limbing and bucking many hundreds of cords and many mbf sawloogs. The 575 runs smoother, has a broader power band is better balanced uses much less fuel and has noticeably less exhaust fumes. I find myself grabbing it more than the 372 and that is about as much of an unbiased opinion as you could get. I would buy the 576 and not think twice about it.
Mike

Red 93 L1 #3383

I like my Stihls but then again we don't have a good Husq dealer to go to.  We have a great Stihl dealer & a couple box stores that sell Husq.  We have a 372 & a 575 at work & while both saws cut good I love my 064 at home more.  Of course it isn't a good comparison as the 064 has around 15% more displacement.  Is there a reason you are limiting your choice to two different Husq?
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Thank You Sponsors!