iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Welding leads stolen for the copper.

Started by Woodchuck53, July 28, 2011, 03:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodchuck53

Morning all. Well they hit me last hitch while I was at work. Cut the leads out of 3 welding machines, hacked the cooling coils from the shop ac unit I was wanting to hook up and stole a couple rolls of wire from the garage/gameroom that I am working on right now. And I think I am missing my trailer lite repair tool box that I keep my spare wire and lites in. Either way can't put my hand on it yet.

Called the parish sheriffs office and filed a report so I will have a record of abuse when they come out to arrest me for shooting some body.

The bad part of all this is that I hustle for what I have and recycle most everything into something I can use and some idiot pays attention to my coming and goings and I can't do any thing about it.

Makes me so mad. You guys keep it locked up as best you can.

On a different note we just shut in for the Hurrican that's blowing around the gulf. Ya'll stay safe. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

scgargoyle

I recently read about thieves that cut the wiring out of an antique fire truck for the copper. How much could that possibly have been worth??? Sorry about your loss- next time, leave the welder running...... :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

kiko

copper leads and ac unit coils only have value as the scrape iron. I would hit the local scrap yards and ask about my stuff. If they area reputable salvage business they should have made those selling welding leads as scrap show ID!! If not then they are also stealing. I think I could tell 90 percent of the time what was stolen and what was scrap.

beenthere

I strongly suspect the scrap dealers know where most of their stuff is coming from, and could, if they really wanted to, nip a lot of the stealing in the bud. But don't really think they are interested in squeezing off any suppliers, as they turn it all over for a good profit.
Also, doesn't take long to burn off the insulation of welding leads to just end up with copper wire unidentifiable as to originality.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Sorry about your loss Chuck.  Sometimes it seems that the thugs are one step ahead of us.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shelbycharger400

i would call all the scrap yards around.  it wouldnt be hard to identify when they show up with such items.     tell the yards whats up,      the ticker would be someone showing up with  im guessing 25 to 50 ft roll of 4 gage fine strand.  burnt or unburnt  that is very ovious!     no one i know in the scrap buisness hauls that in if it is reuseable thou,  at over 6 bux a foot now.     

Piston

People were stealing power cords from the marina to sell for scrap.  There isn't really any good way to lock them up since you always need it plugged in, and most of the time there are very few people around the marina on a weekday so it makes for an easy target. 

On the other note: don't worry about Don too much, it just passed about 150miles to the south of me and all we're getting is 25kt winds and a few fun swells.  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

WH_Conley

We have one scrap yard here that takes pictures of you, your load and your ID. Does the least business of any of them.
Bill

Brad_bb

Isn't that Red Jacket place in your neck of the woods?  They should be able to outfit you with some pest control devices.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

CT Trapper

Quote from: WH_Conley on July 28, 2011, 11:03:29 PM
We have one scrap yard here that takes pictures of you, your load and your ID. Does the least business of any of them.

Same here, I think for all yards? Picture ID and license plate and they take your picture in the truck last time I went.
Crack head copper thieves.  They never learned, Thou shall not steal...
A lot of the summer cottages around here as well as the homes in foreclosure and for sale/new construction get hit up.
I'm waiting to see a sign in the window, like the old car has a removable radio stickers....Home has plastic piping..

Warren

Sorry to hear about your situation.  Same thing happened to the SIL a couple years ago.  He had almost 100 ft of 3/0 leads cut off his rig. Cost him a bunch to buy lighter leads at about 75 ft just to get to the job.

The scrap yard that I sell to, takes a photo copy of your driver's license and records the vehicle license number on the scale ticket for every load that comes in.
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Ron Scott

~Ron

doghunter

the latest copper theft around here is to steal the neutral wire off power lines in remote areas last summer someone cut down 2&1/2 miles of it on a back road picked all of it up except apiece that was in contact with the primary wire due to a small tree contacting both wires [ hope it rattled their teeth when they pulled on it ] some thieves in the next county over tried getting wire from a power substation and paid for it with their lives any abonded house out of sight of the road is missing the copper wire and pipe from it the scrap yards take your picture and copy your drivers license but you never hear of any arrests some times i think local law enforcement just does the paper work for the insurance companies anyway [time to get off the soapbox now] well thats my 2 cents worth
doghunter

Randy88

Sorry for your loss and having to deal with headaches of putting it all back to rights, the lowest of the low I've heard of for stealing is to steal the brass or copper military emblems out of cemeteries and to cut the metal boundary gates and fences out of the cemetery as well.   I was told the military only gives one military emblem to any one person's grave and from then on the family has to buy a replacement back, thats the all time lowest thing I've ever heard done, stealing from the dead, a military grave no less, the ones that fought so you have the freedom today to go rob from them. 

The police made the rounds to all the scrap yards and found nothing and were blaming the yards for being in on the theft, turns out the thieves were putting them inside other like metal piles and getting them past the eye's of the yard workers, that or melting them down with a torch so they couldn't be recognized, was the thought.   

The other discussion is new housing construction, just before final insulating a crew goes in and takes all the copper wiring and copper pipes out of the house totally trashing the place for the salvage of the copper, now there are a lot of houses being lived in by someone long before completion so the thieves stay away and there's someone there 24/7.   

Woodchuck53

Read over the weekend that New Orleans was getting hit hard for the AC unit copper. I know to replace the one they tore up for me is about $4000, guess I want have AC in the woodworking shop after all.

Looking at a half and half Cur and Pitbull puppy when I get home. Maybe he eat some one.

Haven't heard about the military plaques before but they are metal. Sorry lot we have there.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

caveman

Sad times are here--folks stealing welding leads.  Several sets of ours were stolen from our ag shop at school this year that had 50' leads.  They also took some romex that I had brought in to teach the kids basic wiring.  I noticed the romex was missing the day they were to wire outlets and switches.  I doubt that my students stole the wire because it would have filled a truck bed and they would have had difficulty sneaking it our in a back pack.  I suppose it was one of the many construction workers working on the additions to our campus.  There is not money available to replace the leads now.  It would be great therapy to catch and pummel these thieving, lowlife, scum sucking dirtbags.
Caveman

Don_Papenburg

Yep , you could teach the kids basic blacksmithing . They could make up leg shakles . Of course they would have to try to fit them many times  just because they are beginners . And then they will be hot cause some theif stole the copper quench bucket.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Randy88

Would a legitimate job be so much harder than stealing for a living?    The only time I ever heard of a thief being outsmarted was by a local railroad and I laugh every time I hear it told.   A bunch of local idiots who'll steal anything found a local train wreck site from a few years back that hadn't been completely cleaned up so they stole the train car dolly wheels and loaded them up and hauled them to the local scrap yard.   The scrap yard took them and called the railroad and asked if they gave the idiots the left over debris from the wreck, they said no but let them haul it all in first before saying anything or paying them, tell them its a lump sum check at the end, dolly wheels, rails, spikes, plates, left over rail car parts and the usual wreckage strewn around.    So the idiots worked for three weeks and hauled it all in, using torches to cut it small enough to fit on their trailer and at the end were told the check was sent to the railroad and oh by the way, the sheriff's got your names and numbers and enough evidence to convict you for theft of private property, they were convicted and sent to jail and the railroad didn't have to do their own cleanup but got paid for their stuff, now just how dumb do you have to be to pull a stunt like that.    The sheriff's department was thrilled to let them work for three weeks because they knew where they were and they weren't out stealing from anyone else, the upside was, the railroad would have hired them to do the cleanup if they'd have asked, or given them the stuff for cleaning it up, hows that for ironic.

Taylortractornut

Having troubles around here  lately.   Ton s of cops here but no one wants to deal with a crack head.    We have some renter neighbors down the road.      One night  I went out to walk my wifes Great Dane and  heard a chopping noise.      THe renter neighbors were  taking ground wires off the poles.   Called the sheriffs dept and got the  nearest officer is 45 minutes away.     I told the dispatcher   get me the coroner ill take care of it.     In 3.5 minutes  I had 4 deputies there.   
My overload permit starts after sunset

WH_Conley

SIL was a little hot last night. He works building houses, saves the copper wire from cutoffs. On a rainy day he will set in his garage and strip copper. Had 4 5gallon buckets in the back of his garage. Gone.
Bill

Woodchuck53

Evening all. Well I don't hunt any more but am now the proud owner of 2 game cameras. So for just found out what was eating the left over dog food. A big burly racoon. We'll see if I have anthing  in 2 weeks. They have made a couple arrest around here but not sure if they have the right bunch. Keep it locked up and stay safe.

Thank You Sponsors!