iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have you sawed this?

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 27, 2011, 08:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Has anyone sawed Persimmon? Is there a market for it? What would it sell for per BF? What could the boards be used for?

Thanks, David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Dave,I have a persimon tree in my back yard, if yours is anything like mine its a very white brittle wood.I've never milled it but eat alot of persimonds when their fully ripe.Hope some of the guys come around with better information,or just mill it and tell us. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Kcwoodbutcher

I've sawed some and am in the process of filling an order now. It's not difficult to saw but it's tough to dry, lots of splits and warp. I've stopped sawing it until it cools down, it's just drying too fast in this weather. I get 3 bucks a BF green and 4 bucks a BF dried.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Dan_Shade

I've cut it before, didn't notice it to be too bad.  I have no idea how well it dried

Of course that was the same job that I mistook a hickory log for a poplar log, so your mileage may vary   :D
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

Ah! Persimmon.

It's a pretty wood.   A golden yellow, sapwood and a black heart that shows colors in strips of black until age overtakes it.  It's hard as a rock when dry, as hard as white oak to saw, fairly difficult to dry as boards, but makes beautiful furniture.  It was once the preferred wood for Golf club heads (Drivers/woods).  It's the American cousin of Ebony.

If you have some, cherish it.   It's the kind of wood that someone who knows what you have will find you one day.  You will be the only one with any. :)

WDH

I have sawed some persimmon as well.  It sawed pretty good, it will gray stain on you in a heartbeat so good air flow is paramount in the air drying stack.  It splits bad near the pith.  The grain is beautiful to me, semi-ring porous like walnut.  The wood has a satin like natural sheen to it once planed.  Powderpost beetles love it, so spray the green lumber with a borate salt like Sol-U-Bor.  I sold all but the lowest grade for $4.00 per BF air dried.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I sawed some for a guy that builds boats, but I have no idea where on the boat he used it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

I have a nice one in my back yard. I convinced my daughter that they were wild apples and to try one. I doubt either of us forget that one. :D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Thank You Sponsors!