iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Packed sawdust in the cut and hard to push.

Started by losttheplot, July 26, 2011, 11:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

losttheplot

I am cutting Dug fir with a Norwood 13hp band mill.
I get my bands sharpened by a shop that does bands for the local sawmills, Bands are what they do.
A couple of the bands, in the last batch to be sharpened, have not cut very well.
They were hard to push through the cuts and there was LOTS hard packed sawdust left on the boards.

Other bands from the same batch worked fine and others worked fine after.
This leads me to think there is nothing wrong with the mill but a problem with a couple of the bands.

If there is not enough set in them would this leave lots of packed sawdust in the cut ?
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Tom

It's not always bad, but is more attributed to a heavy set.  The sawdust in the kerf comes from spillage out of the gullet.   Because of that, it could also be caused by too short of a tooth resulting in a shallow gullet.

Short teeth can happen if the sharpening stone isn't dressed properly, but it is also a result of sharpening the face of the tooth without "gumming out" the gullet.  You bands should have at least a 3/16" high tooth.

ladylake

Yes it looks like a lot of set on those blades which will push harder and take more power taking a bigger kerf.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

losttheplot

Thanks for the reply's.
I have marked the band and I will point it out when I next take them in for sharpening.

Its a fairly new band.
It came with the mill, I think the scoring on the outside is from coming off the wheels.
There is still saw dust in the gullet.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

beenthere

Compare this gullet profile with other bands, and I think you will see there is a corner present in the one in the pic that is a bit too sharp. Good to talk to your band sharpener to try to get a better grind.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

I can't see anything wrong with that gullet, most of my new blades have a sharper corner.  If the blade came off you sure could have some bent teeth.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!