iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A sawdust bucket for my forklift

Started by sgschwend, July 26, 2011, 09:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgschwend

Now that I have a stationary mill I find there is a lot more cleanup, especially sawdust.
I welded up a 1 yard scoop that has a drop down door.  It will have hydraulic door control, the cylinders will go on next.  I tested it out and moved 15 yards of sawdust by using binders to hold the door closed. 

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

paul case

neat idea steve.
looks like a well built bucket. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Steve,very novel idea, the only forklift buckets I've seen have used a tipcart type bucket with a trip release. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

r.man

Life outside the box an interesting and novel place to live. Nice bucket and a great way around a forklifts weakness.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

luckylager

Bibbyman

Maybe you don't even need cylinders.  I remember the old manure buckets on the old front end loaders just had a mechanical trip deal.   That way you'd just have to trip it to dump and then set it back down to reset.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

paul case

i was thinking the same as bibby on the hydraulics. hooking up hoses would be an extra pain. only plus would be if you were loading in someone elses pickup. you could get around the slam effect by putting some chains on the door to only let it open so far as to slide the shavings/sawdust out. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Sprucegum

On the other hand.....hydraulics would give you better control if you want to spread the sawdust on a trail or field.

sgschwend

The forklift is one built by Entwistle company.  They are a military contractor.  It was designed and used in desert storm.  I purchased it at action, they sold 26 at one time.

The trip would be nice, hydraulics is expensive and a lot of work.  The binders work like a trip would, the trap door is 40X62" so that is a lot of steel to be dropping.  I have been raising the bucket up after the binders are off; the door is so heavy it pivots and spreads the old pile.

Your are right the hydraulics would give good control, I hope to be able to use the bucket to load pick-up trucks or trailers.

It has definitely solved my sawdust problem.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Sprucegum

I can see you are going to need both; a trip (operated hydraulically) and hydraulics to control the opening speed at other times  8)  Once you are connected there is no reason to get out of the cab.

I think a bar down each side would do the trick. The bottom side of the bar is attached to the bottom with a trip mechanism and the top side is attached to your cylinders. The back end of the bar needs a hinge so it can move down with the cylinders or stay up with the box when you trip the bottom.

The pictures in my head are not reprintable  ::)

sgschwend

Update, I added the hydraulic cylinders today.  The only thing left now is to add some paint and get out there and do some cleanup.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

beenthere

Nice build. Hope you make a video of it working. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Neat attachment. :)

A friend of mine built a fork-bucket-lift-dump-truck a few years ago. He used an old skid loader bucket mounted on some square tubing with a pair of cylinders. I don't think I ever got a pic of it.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Taylortractornut

THats a neat bucket for the lift.   When the first plant that owned the Landfill I work at closed I   worked for a friends maintenance company welding and running a lift for him.    They asked us to use out  loader to move their sawdust.  I was rained out one day and told the manager I could fix them a scoop if they let me.         They had one of the old front loader typ garbage cans out side that was in the scrap.        I took it and made a recesson the bottom to hold a  hinge.   Then  made a hinge and put a cylinder under it to tip it.     I cut the top of the dumpster on a diagonal like bucket.      We used QC's on the  side shift    hoses to make it tip.     I was down their 2 years ago and it was still used.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Magicman

Nice Steve.  I'm glad to see your hydraulic cylinders progress from a plan to reality.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!