iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plastic welding [kayak]

Started by Raider Bill, July 26, 2011, 10:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

My Kayak has developed cracks around 3 of the 4 scuppers on the bottom. Basically it leaks pretty bad. Calls to the Manufacturer confirmed that this is a issue and the choices are ship the boat to them [it's 12 ft] for repair at my expense or they will send me some scrap plastic and I can weld the cracks myself.

Anyone ever weld plastic? Looks like Harbor Fright has a plastic welder kit that's self contained meaning no compressor is needed for $49.00. Any suggestions?

BTW, it's a Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL. Web research indicates this is very common problem with this boat. Not Good.  >:( :(
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Reddog

Google: welding plastic with a soldering iron

Works quite well, just don't get the plastic to hot that you burn it.

Sprucegum

Yeah, you can do it yourself but it is important to get the repair plastic from them so it is the same composition and will fuse.

ely

i welded the fenders on my old four wheeler with a soldering iron. worked well until it was parked too close to the house when i had the fire.

Raider Bill

Quote from: ely on July 26, 2011, 05:45:12 PM
i welded the fenders on my old four wheeler with a soldering iron. worked well until it was parked too close to the house when i had the fire.

I hate when that happens.

I went out last week for a sunset on the gulf.  Thought the boat was getting a bit unstable and heavy towards the end of the night. When we went to pull it out of the water it was about half full.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Raider Bill

It's not trees or a sawmill but still a nice shot of a sunset and my newest Kayak propulsion system. :D 8)

ely

Paper Maker

You may find this hard to believe but you can fix most plastics with super glue and baking soda. My mill has a 25 hp Kohler with the fuel pump mounted on the valve cover. It cost about $65. It cracked over a year ago and I decided to try the baking soda and super glue. Its steel holding strong. I don't know if this is suitable for your situation but it may be worth a try.   smiley_headscratch

isawlogs

Bill , I have welded plastic a few times. Used a hot iron that you feed a plastic wire through and it does require a compresser to keep the tip cool and also to spread the heat as you are welding . I welded plastic runners under sleds that did North Pole trips. I would sujest practicing on gas cans a few times ...  ;)
Once you get the hang of it it is as good as new, plastic really fuses together and you can sand and polish it after if such is needed.
I will look for that tool I used and try to get a link for you .

Option 2 would be bring it here and I will gladly fix her up for you    Free room and board for you and the new propulsation system. 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ernie

PVC welds really well with just hot air and a compatible welding rod,  any of the polyolefins like polyethelene and polypropylene ideally require a hot inert gas like nitrogen to avoid oxidation and consequent weak or incomplete joints such as you get arc welding with slag inclusions on steel.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

shelbycharger400

urethane supply company

my airless kit was from them. altho i bout it from my matco dealer. mine is called a mini weld model 5 . now i see one that they call the 5600ht..  at almost $300,  mine is exactly like that but with the voltage regulator built in the box.       I clearly remember buying mine for less than a $100 !  but that was 10 years ago.   

Its mixed feelings.  It dose the job, when you are in a jam.  The misconception is that you simply melt 2 pieces of plastic together, like regular welding, thiers a lot more to it than that.  Almost everything requires that you use filler material on every weld.     if you weld urethane... the off yellow really flexable, tears more than anything... forget welding it. Use epoxy and plumbers tape.     i havent messed with my kit, but im half tempted to pull the knob off and see if i can change position.  mine seems a bit too cold.   i see that accessories mention 40watt and 80watt.  mine says nothing.     it works fine for most 1/8 plastics.    1/4 in  polys....  it wont do it. ,   

Now after 10 years... just decided to check their web site out..  i wish i had seen this before. 

http://urethanesupply.com/kcwelder.php

them puttin mesh.  ( id just use stainless screen

WH_Conley

I have used a hot iron and the same kind of plastic before it was known as welding, seemed to work at the time. Don't melt the base material, just get it real pliable.

I think Marcel is more interested in the propulsion system. :D
Bill

WildDog

Bill for pics and info you could try a forum like "Australian Kayak Fishing Forum" and search plastic welding.

We have 2 Ocean Prowler fishing Kayaks, havn't had any problems around the scupper holes yet. I gave one to my son last month now that he has moved to the coast, he's putting it through its paces at sea.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!