iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaned up the old mill......

Started by Hale87, July 24, 2011, 09:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

Cleaned up and made a few changes to the older Hudson I purchased 2 years ago.
A few of the mods I made.
Put on a new winch with an automatic lock.
Added weight to the bottom of the carriage to reduce vibration.
Reworked the track wheels taking out slop and friction. I can now push it the length of the tracks with a single push.
Spent a lot of time on the dogging system. Made them shorter as well as angled them in towards the log. Then I added a latch that holds them open until you're ready to lock in place plus a trigger that unloads them when done cutting. Added friction to them so that when you lift up your dog it will stay at any angle until you push it back down or lift it up.
Put in toe boards for a jack, plus cleats for barring over your log or cant.
Put handles on the guards, plus added a little peg that sticks up so I can stack the washers and nuts on them while changing blades. Got tired of hunting them on the ground.
Moved the lube system over on to the outside guide.
Painted it orange and black so it matches my Kubota. Guess it would have been easier to buy WM? LOL.
Thanks a lot for the many ideas I borrowed from this forum. Hope you like it....

Thanks for looking.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Chuck White

Nice looking machine there Hale87.

Works out pretty nice when you do some mods and they really work for you!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WH_Conley

Would have been easier to buy a WM, but, now, this thing is yours, no doubt about it.
Bill

Coon

Looks like you now have a Hudson & Hale mill.   :D   It ain't no Woodmizer but you can always pretend.  :D  Anyhow good luck with the mods.  Hope they work like you intend them to do. 

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

duke

Wow that is almost a new mill, I love seeing this kind of stuff on hear gets the brain working well.
Marcel

Magicman

You certainly did make some improvements and it looks very nice.  Kubota colors are good, especially when you can't find John Deere Green.    :D

I like the trailer package also.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hale87

Thanks for the kind words.
Next I'm hoping to add a 20hp engine, then move on to the bandwheels and guides.
My friend does my welding so I'm still under 4 grand, I'm guessin?
Couldn't really justify tossin down the money it would have taken to get a mill already mounted on a trailer, so doing it in small steps has worked for me.

Here's how my tractor is rigged up.
It's small but for the tinkering I do, it works for me.
For me it's really hard to believe how much of a difference in time these improvements have made.
On top of that the level of frustration I had with working that dog system is gone. That alone is hugh for me.

Thanks for your input!
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Magicman

I like both the front and the back.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!