iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chiggers

Started by Magicman, July 24, 2011, 02:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

MM
That was interesting, and dispelled some of the myths.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jim king

If this person that wrote that report came here he would soon be writing a different report.  It would be fun to take him for a tour and leave him to his remadies and act deaf at midnight when he srarts begging.

Warbird

The author noted that the chiggers in your part of the world are different than in the US.  Perhaps that would account for what you are getting at, Jim?

jim king

Here are some of the things I do not agree with.

QuoteChiggers are tiny--less than 1/150 of an inch in diameter.
"NOT HERE"

QuoteOne of the greatest misconceptions about chiggers is that they burrow into our skin and eventually die within the tissues, thus causing the persistent itch.
"HERE YOU CAN SEE THE LITTLE RED GUYS AND DIG THEM OUT"  The locals eat them to kill them .

QuoteThey prefer the tender skin of women and children
"HERE EVERYONE IS  EQUAL"  No discrimination, they love this old beast.

QuoteThe best precaution against chigger bites is simply taking a warm soapy bath with plenty of scrubbing as soon as possible after exposure.
"GOOD LUCK I think they  are Olympic swimmers"

QuoteNail polish doesn't work
"IT WORKS GOOD and purple or pink is OK at midnight"

I have a great photo of a little girl that almost died from worms and chiggers but cannot upload it now.  I will get it on a bit later when I have a better connection.

jim king

This little girl was from a village and weakend by worms.  The worms were crawling out her skin and as she was to weak to walk she was on the ground and loaded up with chiggers also.  Where ever there has been cattle here there are a lot of chiggers.

With some good care the little girl made it.  I can only imagine how she itched.

beenthere

Those are different "chiggers" than we have here (and even here seems a lot of different things get called "chiggers"). ;)

That little girl looked miserable, and tears at the heart.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Here, we call them "redbugs" instead of chiggers.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I've been to Missouri once and had Chiggers once. I'd love to go back to Missouri but never ever want to get chiggers again.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jim king

QuoteHere, we call them "redbugs" instead of chiggers.

I really dont know what they are but they are red and called chiggers and they are bad. smiley_devil smiley_devil 

I have no idea how many tourists I have seen uptown at a restaurant just sitting there with tears in thier eyes doing this smiley_crying smiley_furious3.

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Jeff on July 25, 2011, 02:32:44 PM
I've been to Missouri once and had Chiggers once. I'd love to go back to Missouri but never ever want to get chiggers again.

:D :D :D  Ya just got to learn to ignore them.  They are only a problem in the summertime ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

WDH

I got some late last week, the worst has passed, but I will probably get some more tomorrow  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I have found that spraying my boots, socks, legs and pants with insect repellant will keep them off.  Forget, and you are in for some misery.   :-\

Troublermaker

When I was a kid we use to get them on us trying to round up cattle. What we use to do was take a butter knife and scrap off all that we could and then take a bath with a lot of salt in the water. Sometime Mom had so much salt in the water I thought she was trying to brim me.  :D Any way that would get rid of them till the next time.

Buck

Eat more boiled okra. Lil beggars just slide right off ya. Downside is you wont be able to keep your socks up. ;D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WDH

One way to tell an inexperienced Forester in the woods is when you see them sit down on the pine straw.  No matter how tired you are, do not sit on pine straw in the woods.

That is the Chigger Tip for the day.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

attacked by the little buggers. three days of torment ahead.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Cedarman

Me and Chiggerex are good friends.  After scratching, I put it on and there is almost instant relief.  I rub the stuff in real good.  Ahhhh!!!
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!